Anyone buy a refurbished Touch from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marc55, Oct 29, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

marc55

I'm looking on Apple's site, and they have a Touch 32GB for $179, which is a fair price considering it comes with a full warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC008LL/A

However, what I'm not sure of is the ad notes: "iPod touch 3.1 software"

Is that the latest? I thought the latest was IOS5

Also, it doesn't say if it's the latest generation, although it looks like it.

So, just looking for some good/otherwise comments on getting a refurbished Touch from Apple.

2. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

it is not the newest generation
    it is the previous.
    it can run IOS5
    I got an iPod it was broken and got a refurb as a replacement, its home button broke in about 2 years bot that is a problem with a lot of IOS devices.

3. WLS, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

WLS
    macrumors 6502a

hmm.. that's' actually a reasonable deal when you consider that
    1. you get a new battery - buy a used one and you risk getting a battery that is worn out.
    2. you get a new unscratched case and screen
    3. you get free shipping and a one year warranty
    they look to be refurbished Gen3's. (no camera mentioned or shown) case back in picture says A1318 which is 3rd Gen
    they may or may not come with OS5 but that is an easy upgrade. Not a deal breaker if they are gen3's
    I may get one myself and not risk the used market

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

So what are the major differences between the 3rd & 4th generation touch's

Thank you

5. WLS
    macrumors 6502a

speed - the 4th gen run faster mhz
    no A4 in 3rd gen. It has discrete cpu and gpu. Still runs OS5 though
    no cameras in 3rd gen but most people despise the 4th gen cameras anyway.
    4th gen is thinner some say crazy thin.
    4th gen has retina display twice the resolution.
    That's it off the top of my head.
    I prefer the 3rd gen since it has no cameras.

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors 6502

You prefer it because it doesn't have cameras? That's counter intuitive in my opinion.

Sure the camera is bad but at least it has the function and the HD video is below average, not terrible.

Thinness is a non factor, cases compensate for the thin factor.

You most likely prefer it because you can get a 3g cheaper than a 4g.

8. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

better processor A4
    2 cameras
    FaceTime
    longer support for future OS
    retina display (big thing IMO)
    -APPARENTLY: the 4 has a better battery but i can not confirm that
    PS the refurbished iPod touch 4g with 8gb used to be 199, now that they sell new that price I would expect a price drop on other 4g refurbs so if your an wait...

http://wccftech.com/ipod-touch-3g-ipod-touch-4g-showdown/
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/ipod-touch-4g-vs-ipod-touch-3g-detailed-specifications-comparison/
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/35281/ipod-touch-4th-generation-comparison
    a simple google search will tell you plenty.

9. macrumors 68030

vitzr

Although I buy new, I have friend that always buys refurbished and I'm amazed. They look like brand new, and operate like new as well. I seriously doubt that any other mfg does as nice of a job on refurbs as Apple.

10. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I agree
    I know someone who got a refurb (and myself) and I could not tell the different between it and a new one and a refurb.
    I think the OP is wondering at this point to get a 3g or wait for some 4gs to hit the refurb store.

11. WLS, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

WLS
    macrumors 6502a

No not counter intuitive at all. I just appreciate good design.
    The Touch is primarily a media player - music or internet not a communication device. I think Face Time is useless on it and the rear camera is junk so why bother putting badly designed features on it. They don't really add function that is acceptable.
    With the new iphone 4S they finally have a camera that makes sense to use and can replace a pocket camera.
    I agree thinness is not a big factor, I just mentioned it as a difference.
    Finally yes cost is an issue. Cost always is an issue. I need a 64GB iPod to hold my music collection and if I can get a Gen 3 which is not burdened with features I don't want and at a much better price then all the better for me. I appreciate technology that meets my needs. Technology just for the sake of technology I have a problem with. The newest toys are not always the best. I consider the Touch 3rd Gen to be the best expression of design in the series. It started going downhill from there with stuff being added just because the tech heads were buzzing for it. I'm not buying what they are currently making so I'll just choose what I think was the best of the previous models.
    Apple is pretty good at recognizing the importance of design and function which often causes much whining from the Tech heads who want more tech.
    I think on the Touch though Apple has lost it's direction and that is why they stopped updating it.
    I expect a reboot for the Touch if it is even called that next year.