Anyone buy an Invisible Shield for iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrat93, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I saw this site and I was wondering if anyone knew if its actually as great as it says it is. Also, are there any air bubbles?
    http://www.shieldzone.com/

2. cyclone84 macrumors regular

I got the full body invisible shield for my new 5.5G video iPod. It works great, just be sure to follow the directions and watch the installation video on the shieldzone.com website. I did and have no air bubbles.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Not for my iPod, but...

I did buy one for my Moto Razr. I was skeptical when I got it, but after I put it on I was very happy with it. My advice would be: clean your iPod thoroughly first, apply the solution and locate the pieces carefully, squeegee out the bubbles, then leave it alone for at least 12 hours (they recommend 24). I had a couple very small bubbles remaining on the first day, but they eventually worked themselves out and disappeared over the next couple days.

4. mike dunx macrumors regular

I just use the screen shield and it's great. Doesn't scratch at all.

5. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Yes...and it rules!

There is also another company that makes a similar product that is just as good but much cheaper, their website is www.bestskinsever.com

Do a quick search here on the forums and there are plenty of threads like this where you can get some good info.

6. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Have it on both my nanos. Works perfectly, no bubbles.

On my second order, they sent the wrong skin. Sent an email and had a new one in a few days. Excellent customer service.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I have a similar/identical product from GuardFilm. I recently posted a review of it. In short, I like it a lot. (Some of) the bubbles do work their way out with time - I believe the material is "breathable". The frony face of mine looks excellent, can barely tell there's a skin on it, the back has a couple TINY bubbles, but that's my fault, I'm pretty sure if I did it again I wouldn't have any at all.

One thing I will add is that I don't personally believe it's unscratchable. Maybe Invisible Shield has some other material, but the stuff I got was on a 3M backing, so it's not a cheap knockoff film at least, and it's scratchable. You can scratch it with a fingernail. BUT, you won't get through the skin to the iPod at all, and the scratch sort of heals itself after a few seconds. It becomes a very very faint/thin/small line that you can't see under any sort of decent light. The dimmest brightness setting on my 5G iPod completely obliterates any scratching near the screen.

In short, I'd get one, but I'd get it from one of the less expensive places. Combined with the little "pocket" they're shipping with the iPods now I feel like mine protected quite well (I put into that little black pouch when it goes into my pocket/bag, just to add an extra layer, the film is there for protection from damage during use).

EDIT: wanted to add that if you get one, and get one of the discount ones like I recommend, just buy two at a time. You'll spend about half what the Invisible Shield costs for one, and you'll have an extra in case you (1) aren't pleased with the application, (2) want to do some fun durability testing, or (3) somehow manage to significantly scratch/tear the skin you can replace it immediately and not leave your iPod "naked" while you wait for a replacement.

9. tundotcom macrumors member

Don't waste your money with those ridiculous Invisible Shield prices. Bestskinsever is the exact same thing and much much cheaper.

10. usasalazar macrumors regular

usasalazar

Stick with Shield Zone Products

I wet my pants their products are so good. Be sure to get the apple sauce and CLEAN your apple before wrapping it.

One Note - Although the shield fits super tight I did find it a challange to use cases where the apple already had a tight fit. I had to stop using my incase holder because it would no longer fit.

No problem because the invisible shield is such a great product! I am amazed at how much abuse it has taken and still looks great. Beware of getting "something else" just to save a buck or two -- this product has no equal -- really.

11. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

would there be a point in getting one for a 2nd gen shuffle? i just got mine so i haven't experienced any scratches yet. i wasn't sure how easily scratched they got and if it'd be a good investment to get the shield for it.

12. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

yes they are

best iPod investment that i have ever made.

13. FierceDeityLink macrumors newbie

I have one on my LG VX8500 and it can take a beating. I dropped it on cement the other day and there isn't a scratch (though, now the slider sticks out a few extra millimeters after dropping it). I also have on on my DS Lite (full body) and it works well as a PDA cover, though it's not as nice to write on as, say, Brando screen protectors, but it sure does protect it.

20% for the time being:
    http://www.shieldzone.com/rocky.html

I think it was 25% during Christmas, so keep an eye out. Their lifetime warranty is worth it.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm 99.99% certain they are all exactly the same material. It comes from 3M who developed it for a completely different purpose (covering helicopter blades and airplane nose assemblies). All they do is cut large sheets to smaller pieces and cut a template into them. It's not like Invisible Shield invented the material.

15. FierceDeityLink macrumors newbie

If you want to buy the material:
    http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

16. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

go with the invisibleshield, I've had it ever since I got my nano and it still looks like when I took it out the box. you'll never worry about scratches and you don't notice it being there. it also gives it a little more grip.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I put my InvisiShield on my iPod as soon as I opened the box - and I'm thankful I did! As often as I throw it into my backpack alongside keys and a phone and whatever else, it looks brand new. It also cuts down on the backside smudges that you can never get rid of, too.