Anyone buy new Matias OSX Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Peyote, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

This keyboard isn't even shipping yet, but you can get it for $39.99 with free shipping while it's on pre-order. Looks like a good keyboard. Judging by the reviews of their Tactile Pro, I'm hoping it will be just as good. From what I understand, it uses rubber dome switches, so it shouldn't be nearly as loud...but it still has the special characters on all the keys, and a couple of other features, such as a Tab key in the number pad area...very cool.

The keyboard won't ship until late February, but I'm buying a Mac mini in a few days, and with the ship times being what they are, I figure they should arrive at around the same time.

Two USB ports, eject key, and volume keys...seems like it could be a very respectable replacement to the Apple keyboard. I've never been impressed with Macally's keyboards...so ugly. This one seems to complement the new approach to design Apple is taking.

Linky:

http://matias.ca/osxkeyboard/index.php

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this keyboard, and if anyone else is pre-ordering it.

EDIT: They are also offering a $20 piece of software for it that allows you to create custom keyboard commands. Here's a quote from their site about the software:

"The OS X Keyboard works even better with Key Maestro automation software. Key Maestro lets you set up your own custom keyboard commands that can be triggered much faster using the OS X Keyboard's extra Control key. You can create new menu shortcuts, automate frequently-used commands, control iTunes or other applications running in the background, and much much more."

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The idea to print all the extra characters on the key somewhere is a nice one. I'm not personally looking for an external mac keyboard, especially not one with wires, but I guess, that if I were, I'd expect it to match at least one of the Apple styles a little bit better. But other than that, I guess it seems like a thoughtfully designed keyboard from a *functional* standpoint.

3. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I think the style is a bit plain...but I've yet to see a third party keyboard I actually thought looked good. Actually, I don't even like the looks of the current Apple keyboard. IMHO, the best looking keyboard Apple made was the Pro Keyboard that shipped with Quicksilvers...black keys....mmmmm.

Anyway, from a style standpoint, I prefer this over the current Apple offering, but all the other third party keyboards I've seen, especially the Macally, have been "overdesigned"....so I guess it's nice to see a really clean, white keyboard. To me that matches Apple's designs right now better than even their own keyboards.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sure the dedicated UNIX people who could not get used to changing trends (since 1987) will be much happier with a keyboard that has a control key next to the A key.

I'm quite happy with my Logitech keyboard.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

6. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I read about that one, but I don't think I'd have the patience to relearn typing..lol