Anyone catch the Simpsons?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pooky, May 16, 2004.

1. pooky macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    Now I know the show usually has a slant against whatever the status quo happens to be, but the episode this week was over the top! They poked fun at all the idiotic rhetoric coming from the right, all the crap about hating America and hating freedom. Hats off to the writers for not being afraid to poke fun at an administration that is very intolerant of some gentle ribbing.
  2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    My husband said Bart mooned the flag! LOL. We watched the season Finale of Charmed. But I'm sure this one will live for a long time :D We'll see it another time.
  3. benguru macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2002

Darn, I missed it. Can you tell me what happened?
  4. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    I'll be looking forward to this episode to appear in my country.

I do however think that The Simpsons "jumped the shark" several seasons ago.

These days I'd rather watch "The Family Guy"

Absolute fav Simpsons episode is the Mindy episode, possibly the funniest 30 minutes animation ever.
  5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    No matter how "brave" it might have been, it still wasn't funny. Bring back Conan or get the show off the air. Please! You're killing us!
  6. dopefiend macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    I agree with you, it wasn't that funny at all.

Attached Files:

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Spoiler alert

Bart moons flag accidentally (long story involving goat and pants). Springfield gets mad at Simpsons for being "un-American." Simpsons are pariahs.

Simpsons get TV spot to defend their patriotism. They face a rabid, Bill O'Reilly type. Marge walks right into a loaded question and says, "Yes, I guess we do hate Americans." Quote is out of context, but thats what people hear. Somehow, everyone in the US thinks Springfield is un-patriotic.

Simpsons get arrested by the Feds. They get charged with an ambiguous law (something to the effect of "they said stuff the government didn't like") and the whole family is thrown in prison. There they meets all kinds of pundits and lefties who have been thrown in prison for speaking their mind. Bill Clinton is there, too.

They plot and execute an unlikely escape. As they are swimming to freedom, a French boat swims by and the Simpsons are whisked away to France (where they are welcomed because--OF COURSE--all Frenchmen hate Americans). Simpsons miss home and immegrate back to the US. Close on the Simpsons arriving at Ellis Island.

I give it about a 4 on the Simpsons funny scale. (10 being the most funny episode ever, 1 being the least). Good social commentary, though. Surprised Murdoch let it run, with Fox News and all.

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    I like social commentary. Who ever wrote it did a good job from the way you describe it. It is hard to be funny when you are talking about things this serious so a 4 isn't bad ;) Thanks for giving me a synopsis.