iPad mini Anyone charged mini with the 10w or 12w adapters?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seajewel, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Curious how quick the charging is. I think I'll pick up the 12w while I'm on vacation later this week. I wouldn't mind cutting recharge time in half :)

2. macrumors 6502a

Yup used an old 2A iPad charger, worked fine. Charged fast

3. macrumors 6502

Yep same as, 12w IPad 3 charger and no probs! That was its first charge since Friday and my wife has not put it down....impressive battery life :D

4. macrumors 65816

Yes, my mini charged up from 14% to 100% in 2 hrs. 22 mins.

5. macrumors 68000

Shadowbech

Used my 10W power adaptor (not from Apple). From 0% to 90% it took exactly 2 hours to charge. So I assume it took 2h 30m to 45 m to fully charge it.

6. macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Ipad3 charger, less then 2 hours from 0 to 100

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely get one then. I really love the mini. But I'd pay a lot for a retina mini.. Next year! :)

8. macrumors 6502

Hey, how long did it take to fully charge an iPad mini with the 5W adapter?

9. macrumors member

ME Nick

Purchased a 12W charger from apple yesterday.
    They wanted to remind me that though these charges will shorten the charging time, it will damage the longevity of the battery.

So they recommended not to use the 12W all of the time, mix it up with the 5W.

10. macrumors member

That's interesting considering they officially support it. There shouldn't be any problems with warranty if it does mess up the battery

11. macrumors 6502

This is interesting. I hadn't heard it before. Has anyone actually checked the mini with something like the Kill-A-Watt to see if it is actually taking advantage of the extra wattage provided by the 12W charger?

12. glen e, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

macrumors 68030

did you read that officially from apple or one of the kids with blue shirts?...I have looked thru the supplied 12W documentation and can find no verbiage to this. Will call apple later. I have purchased 3 and want to use it for all my devices....

[update: apple tech support says 12w would not be sold if it would shorten life of batts to any degree worth noting - just spoke with them]

13. macrumors 68000

Sounds like a blue shirt front line kid who just read his electricity book at community college.

14. macrumors member

ME Nick

Blue Shirt.
    But having done research in a battery lab in college, I know that for any lithium based battery, the slower the charge, the better life the battery sees over the long run.

The 12W is supported by Apple, yes.
    But battery conditions that determine its lifespan vary, and it's just something to be conscience of.
    I will still be using it to charge mine when rushed.

15. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Battery only needs to last 1 year (or six months) until the New Mini comes out... :cool:

16. macrumors member

ME Nick

This.

17. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Doubt that. Doesn't the charger scale to the appropriate wattage for the device?

18. macrumors member

ME Nick

The device scales.
    Not sure if the mini will draw the full 12W, but it definitely will draw more than 5W.

Cult of mac connected a watt meter to a full size iPad, and it drew 12-13 watts.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/199291/the...-charge-your-ipad-30-45-minutes-faster-video/

Now someone needs to test the mini.

19. macrumors 6502

Insanely Great Mac did a youtube test with the 10w vs the 12w, featuring an iPad (do we call it the Maxi?) and an iPhone 5.

Short summary: the iPad does accept the higher charging rate of the 12w, the iPhone 5 doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4gPxc89Wg

Be interesting to see if the iPad Mini will charge faster.

20. macrumors 603

Indeed. Higher current = hotter battery while recharging = not good for Li-Ion batteries.

21. macrumors regular

Is that heat in general or just heat caused by charging? In other words, can gaming, which tends to generate more heat, shorten the lifespan of your battery?

22. macrumors 603

It does. And the battery in the iPad 3 / 4 already gives much more power than in the iPad 2 (and, probably, the iPad mini). This may be the reason for my iPad 2 (purchased exactly 18 months ago) has definitely less than twice the cycle count of my iPad 3 (purchased exactly 7 months ago - that is, less than half of that of the iPad 2): 241 vs. 140. (The usage patterns of the two iPads have been the same: I, and later, when the iPad 2 was handed down to her, my wife have used several hours a day both tablets.)

BTW, I've found a more quantitive ratio between charge rate (see the 5W vs. 12W question) and battery life: see "Figure 1: Cycle performance of Li-ion with 1C, 2C and 3C charge and discharge" at http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers . That is, the Apple Store folks' statement ("it will damage the longevity of the battery.") is certainly true.

However, this still doesn't mean the iPad mini's battery will surely die in, say, half a year or will burn if you always charge it with a 12W charger. I'd say its life expectancy will "only" be shortened from, say, 3 years to, say, 1.5.

Basically, I don't think you need to be afraid of explosions.

23. macrumors 65816

that blue shirt you have spoken is outdated. this is not Li-Polymer. the battery is Li-Ion so you are good charging with 10/12w chargers

24. macrumors 68000

is there any fear of burning out the battery faster in the long term? maybe the battery is rated for 5w