Anyone consider themselves boring after reading the "20 random things..." thread?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    After reading through the The 20 random things you may not have known about me... thread, I've concluded that my life has been boring. It was relatively interesting (barely) from ages 15 through 28 or so, but before and after that: boring.

I don't think of myself as a boring person (well, not the most boring person I know), but my life has become increasingly routine, and I feel that it'll get worse if I don't do something about it soon. Aside from spending time with my daughter (daughters as of this coming June!), MR is literally the only truly interesting part of my day - slow days at MR translate to slow days in general for me.

Work sucks - it's slow, unchallenging, and there's a constant lay-off threat (a couple dozen co-workers were canned last week out of the blue). Life is routine. Blah.

So, I'm going to try to spend the next year - reporting on progress at my two-year MR anniversary - trying to make my life more interesting. I think about exercising more. I think about writing my own apps. I might apply for another job. All that I seem to do currently - aside from posting too often here - is think about doing things. So, for 12 months or so, I'm going to try to convert that to action. If iGav posts a similar thread next year at this time, I'd like to have at least something good to post there.

Anyone else similarly inspired - or at least similarly made to feel boring by that thread?
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I think it's a waste of time reading about other people, especially strangers. If they provided pictures it would make for a more interesting thread, otherwise, to me, it's just a bunch of gibberish. I read about 2 posts from that thread and then quickly realized it was a waste of time, and bandwidth. This thread is probably a waste of time too if you all are reading my rant. :D
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    One of the few threads that I have read from beginning to end. It's interesting to read what people consider 'random' or noteworthy enough to mention about themselves...

I also find that it neatly encapsulates and fleshes out some of the people that spend time around here, much more so than a photograph. Anyway, we have the member's gallery in the Pictures forum if anybody wants to see what other people look like.

It's also odd how many people have chosen to define themselves by the various fractions of assorted nationalities that make up their lineage. To me, it's one of the least interesting and certainly unrevealing 'facts' about a person -- it doesn't describe anything about them at all.
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I already knew I was boring, didn't need a thread to tell me that! :eek:
  5. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    I wouldnt take much notice mate.

Your not boring.

That thread looked like an oportunity for people to show off. I read a bit of it, and nearly all of the random things those posters said were things to brag about. Like "my worst injury" or "my worst scar" or "my prodigous yet unfulfilled talent". I think there were a few exaggerations there.
    You can spot the ones that werent telling fibs, they were more modest, and had less sensationalism.

I doubt alot of what posters say on this board. After that "lets know your quailifications" thread i think alot of people just plain and simply lie. I mean, some of those guys were saying they had 3 or 4 or 5 degrees. When you think about it, is 12-20 years in full time higher education whilst earning a wage plausible? not really. Especially when some of them claim in other threads to be under 40, and claimed to have visited over 14 countries in the "where have you been" thread.

Take everything you see on the net with a pinch of salt, people find it very easy to exaggerate about their identity.

But thats besides the point really, every1 has something interesting about them. You too. Just remember to live life to the full. Oh, and travel, you learn alot.
  6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I did it - further proof that my life is so boring that ancestral nationality was one of my 20. ;)

I think ancestral nationality is more often discussed in the States than elsewhere - that whole "melting pot" thing. Few people here actually care, it's just the sort of trivia that gets exchanged, sort of like your "sign". Almost no one who says, for example, that they're "half German, half Irish" actually considers themselves Irish and/or German. We all pretty much consider ourselves American - except when we travel abroad, then we call ourselves Canadian. ;)
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well, I can say that it wasn't intended for that purpose, nor was it intended to make people feel more or less inadequate than others, hence why I stressed the 'honesty' part at the beginning.

Personally I've found it interesting to find out a little more about the people with whom I spend so much time here on MR and that was for all intents and purposes the function of that thread, not to brag, not to show off... just reveal a little bit more about themselves.
  8. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    I know it wasnt created for that purpose.
    I didnt say it was.
    Now read my post again, youll notice i didnt at any stage say that it was created for people to show off.

It was an "opurtunity for people to show off".

There are people (you are included) who seem very honest here.
    There are also alot here who dont. There are people here who exaggerate, show off, and create a false identity, that is sadly just a quirk of an internet forum. Which is why i told that bloke to take stuff with a pinch of salt.

If you misread my post then please read it again, properly, im tired of writing these explanations after my posts to people who havent read them properly.

If you read my post properly (as i think you have), then i take your point and agree that it wasnt created by you for the wrong reasons. It was a good idea for a thread, interesting.

(Now please tell this college drop-out how on earth you spell "oppurtunity". I honestly havent the faintest ) :confused: :confused:
  9. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002

I never said that you did say that, all I wanted to do was explain and clarify my intent as to why I started the thread, the last thing I want (and I'm not suggesting that you do, but possibly others might) is for anyone to think that it was created as a thread for people to show off, big themselves up or lie about themselves, or to make others feel inferior.

opportunity :)

'rhythm' is a word that always gets me, I'll be writing something, and if I need to write 'rhythm' I'm screwed, it's like someone has built a brick wall slap in the middle of my sentence... :eek: :p
  10. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2003
    Well i never said that you said that i did say that.....
    this is getting ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for the spelling, ill write that one down.
  11. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I think we both get the gist of what we're both saying ;)

I guarantee you, you'll find yourself writing a paragraph and you'll stumble, I've been trying to memorise 'rhythm' for years and I still come up with 10 different permutations mid sentence, none of which will be right. heheh :p
  12. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004

At least in Safari...
  13. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    To the original post - that was my first thought. How the heck can I come up with 20 things that people would give a crap about, or even bother reading (I suppose most people didn't read them - just as I didn't read all the others; I read those of the members for whom I have respect, or with whom I have some common "MR bond").

In the end, how "interesting" you are is a relative term. At this point in your life, based on your comment about having one daughter and another on the way, stability is probably more important that interest. In fact, you become interesting by being stable. Of course, in 12 or 13 years when your new daughter is a teenager, all bets are off... it won't matter if you're interesting or not, just that your not visible. ;)
  14. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    IMO one can't prove that anything's worth doing - everyone is caught up in the great race to achieve 'stuff', but what for? Don't worry if you think you're life is 'boring', humans are built never to be satisfied.
  15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I think its not the showing off part that's interesting - like iGav said, the other little things that make it more personal hold more appeal to me.