Anyone considering the Switch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amac4me, May 6, 2005.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

My story:

In my spare time I like to take digital photographs and capturing home movies with my digital camcorder. I got so tired of my Dell crashing in the middle of editing a movie. I've always contemplated buying a Mac and eventually made the switch at the end of last year.

I've been in heaven ever since.

So anyone out there considering the switch? If I can be of any help, just post a question and I'll try to answer. If I don't there are plenty of people on this forum that can help. Once you join the Mac community you'll be part of a special group.

Good Luck.

2. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

yup i know what you mean WIndows is becoming a pain in the @$$, especally when you do their automatic updates and it makes you crash the computer and how instable it is..

I am getting a new Mac laptop in the Next month, either ibook or powerbook not sure yet but i tried out OS at Comp USA the other day and LOVE it... So if all goes well then i will always buy macs...

What Mac do you have and how fast is it compared to PC? I was wondering because the only thing i am worried about is playing Warcraft 3, and Unreal 2004 on it...

3. sk8erboy macrumors regular

i <3 warcraft III.
    if only i could try it on a MAC.
    i need to make the switch..... two more months... only two more months. :D

4. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

My system

I bought my system last year and decided that if I was gonna get a Mac I might as well get the top of the line system.

I bought a Power Mac Dual 2.5 and the 23" Cinema HD monitor. It came with 1 GB RAM and a 160 GB hard drive. I then upgraded the ram to 3GB and added a 300 GB second hard drive . I use it for a variety of things: photo editing, video editing, surfing the web, and UNIX related activities.

I really don't play games anymore so I won't be using my Mac for it. I plan on installing PHP, MySql, and Oracle on my system. I'm considering to purchase a second system in the near future. I can't decide between a Mac mini and a Powerbook.

5. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I am looking at switching, but with law school this fall and examsoft, I might have to delay for a little while longer. I really want to buy a new powerbook and build myself a sweet gaming machine. I've been hanging around Mac sites for the past six or seven months, just sifting though threads. The good thing is that I'm going to wait till school starts and take out a school loan to buy the laptop...the big question is....IBM or Powerbook???

6. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Get the Powerbook

If you decide to go with the Powerbook, don't forget that Apple offers discounts for College Students. You'll save a good amount of money. One other thought, you'd look a lot cooler with a Mac :cool:

7. brandon6684 Guest

It works just as well on a Mac(not MAC) as it does on Windows. Blizzard is one of the best at keeping their products on both platforms equal.

8. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

ok thats good thanks for info

9. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Um i will probobly be "switching" by the end of the fall. Since im still in high school and doing sports all year round its hard to get a job to get one but i will have one this summer and probobly by the end of fall I will have a new Powerbook or iBook. Or i will hold off till Xmas and see what the parents will do.

Windows has sucked ecspecaly since my brother put his computer on my familys network. The ad and spy wear are crashing this computer everyother day its very annoying.

10. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I ordered my first mac, a 17" iMac yesterday. I will be happy using a system that is truly sweet, and looks sexy too. All I do is media stuff, so the mac has always been my ideal computer. I guess I have always secretly wanted one.

11. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats!!

Welcome to the club

12. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Local Best Buy selling a lot of Mac Mini's

Hey all,

I went to my local Best Buy last night and ended up speaking several of the sales associates in the computer department. They mentioned that the Mac mini's are selling like hot cakes. I hope it's true ... and we get more people to switch over.

13. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

I have always wanted to get a mac and have contemplated getting a mac mini. I already have a nice PC that does everything I want it to do (paradox?) , but I've just wanted a mac to play with especially for iPhoto and editing movies.

For my major (graphic design), I was told that I had to have a laptop. Being as I don't have one, I e-mailed the department for some specs to see what it would cost me. Turns out I'm required to either have an iBook or a PowerBook.

When I heard the news I was so happy. I was finally going to have a mac AND a laptop. I can't wait to get one. I'm planning on ordering the 12" superdrive powerbook after WWDC. I hope there's an update. I would hate to get it and then in September they go and put G5's in there.

40 days till I order one!

14. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I considered it, contemplated it, worried about it, stressed out about it, and finally jumped for joy about it. I am waiting on my new Power Mac G5 system to get here next week. My 20" Cinema display got here yesterday. :D

I have a good bit of Digital-8 video of my son, who is now six years old, that I have never really done anything with, because it is such a pain to do anything with video on a PC. I also have a bunch of audio cassettes of my father-in-laws sermons that I plan to convert to digital format and archive to CD for him.

I have been a software developer for 16 years on Windows PCs. I have dabbled with Red Hat and SuSE Linux off and on for the past two years. I know that I am going to love the Power Mac. It is going to be so much fun. I know that my wife is probably thinking about how little she will get to see of me after it gets here, though. :D

15. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Well, I highly doubt that you'll see updates to the Powerbook at WWDC as they were recently updated a short time ago. Regardless of the system that you purchase, make sure you get your student discount. In fact, Apple has a special $100 rebate for EDU purchases right now: www.apple.com/go/savenow

16. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats!!

Kerry, I know what you mean. When I first got my Power Mac last September, I was unable to leave it. I did whatever I could to get up to speed with Mac OS X. I work with Application Servers and Databases so my Unix foundation made the switch to Mac a breeze. Trust me, you'll find yourself stuck to your system when it arrives

17. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I know that my wife is not going to be happy about that. :eek:

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am considering it still. I think all the iLife apps would be great for my day-to-day computer use. I already use iTunes on my PC so switching to a Mac wouldn't be a big deal. I love the dashboard and widgets.

I go round and round with myself as to which Mac to get.

My Price is no object choice:
    Powermac
    But then I will also have to buy a monitor

My fruggle choice:
    Mini
    But I would have to buy a keyboard and mouse. Using it with my plasma tv would be a plus.

My middle of the road choice:
    iMac 20"
    I am not sure I care for the all in one design but it looks great. I don't think I could go with the 17" because it looks too small for me.

My el cheapo choice:
    eMac
    Probably all I really need but who wants a CRT :)

19. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Just like to share that I switched this evening! *elated* :D :D :D

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

IBM makes nice ones, but the PowerBook is so much nicer.

Just buy a Pentium 90 laptop for $10 at a swap meet and use that for Examsoft.

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

PowerMac G5 with a Dell monitor is a good idea. Dell makes nice monitors, according to people here.

The Mini is nice if you already have a USB keyboard/mouse and monitor or want to get the Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

The iMac is a great computer. 20" is amazing when you see it in person. Absolutely amazing.

The eMac is actually very nice. The CRT is the best one I've ever seen. If you just want a nice, cheap Mac, get an eMac.

For all Macs: get 512MB (now standard mostly) or 768MB of RAM if you just do general-usage stuff.

Don't get RAM from Apple. Try Crucial, NewEgg, OWC.
    Get as much VRAM as possible on your PowerBooks! You can't upgrade it later (like RAM).

And welcome to the light side of computing to you all!

22. Papa Shank macrumors newbie

I'm really wanting to switch to apple, paticularly to a powerbook but the prices are just too high for me to buy new (and even second hand) so I'm going to have to sit back and wait a few months, I'm hoping apple come out with the powerbook upgrades etc before I buy, fingers crossed

my question being ; do you think it would be more worth it to wait a few months and buy new or to buy second hand and upgrade memory to full capacity?

The thing I'm thinking is that if they come out with faster processors within the next few months (which from what I've read is unlikely) then I'll be stuck with a slower model. So...thoughts?

23. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

I switched about 5 years ago - my first was a Blue Dalmation Imac (lovely), and it was just wonderful. I know it shouldn't be the important factor, but the packaging is one of those things that make Apple products so special to me - everything is just packaged up so perfectly.

My current machine is a G4-800 iBook which I've had now for about a year and a half. Wonderful thing.

Just a quick thumbs up for iWork - I've found Keynote to be pretty much the best thing ever - it's been a huge bonus in my day to day work, and the fact that I can export it over to Powerpoint to show others in my business is very useful - you obviously lose some of the graphical bells and whistles, but there we go.

Next machine? Another laptop definitely, but am waiting until we see which way Apple go with either Dual Core G4, or G5. And then I'll pounce on one of the older models, and get a bargin!

24. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

NEVER considered switching

Been using a Mac since 1986. Never considered switching! :D

25. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Yeah, I agree. I bought RAM from Crucial and haven't had any problems.