Anyone Dissapointed Leopard Release Date?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwhaler, Aug 11, 2006.

What did you hope Leopards release date to be? (Realisticly)

1. Before the year is over

31 vote(s)
  2. Maybe a little after new years

56 vote(s)
  3. I am happy with it being in the Spring

115 vote(s)
  4. I was expecting it to release later than Spring

11 vote(s)
  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    When I heard that Leopard is to be released in Spring, that was rather dissapointing. I was hoping for something close to the new year. Anyone else?

I chose a little after new years, because thats what we were told originaly, yet it was delayed further than that.
  2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2005
    I'd prefer it to be early Spring - otherwise, it does make Leopard slightly delayed (Steve said late '06/early '07).

...nothing compared to Vista's 3-4 year delay, tho :)
  3. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I'm happy with the date. I can't wait for Leopard of course, but I'm happy with Tiger, and it's not like Tiger suddenly curled up and died because they showed some new features of Leopard. It's still the same OS as it was last week.

And if it's too soon, I might have wished I'd held off buying the MacBook until it's preinstalled to save $70 :p (educational)
  4. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    im happy with Tiger, thats why i can wait for another 3 years.
  5. mromero macrumors member

Sep 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Happy with the date, I'd rather they work on it till they get the major bugs worked out and new features perfected.
  6. paleck macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2005
    with the Tequila!
    Maybe Steve is just trying to showup Vista by announcing the release in Spring and instead releasing it in December. :D
  7. ArkabaS macrumors member

Dec 3, 2004
    The Moon
    I was hoping for a later release date. Apple's Spring 2007 decision is obviously in response to Vista's expected Spring 2006 release date. I wish Apple would just forget about Vista and take their time making a great OS. But as was demonstrated at WWDC, Apple is completely preoccupied with Redmond. Now they are going to rush and release buggy, half-baked, Tiger SpotLight-esque features.
  8. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    Yea, that makes sence. Remember, the transition to Intel was to take exactly one year, and in turn they transitioned their final system in 210 days.

Perhaps he is doing one of those now...

Following that same logic, 7 months turns into 4.2 months, in turn meaning round about christmas day.
  9. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2006
    Here's to hoping that the later-ish date means a much less buggy 10.5.0 than the 10.4.0 was!
  10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    I agree, but also more programs!
  11. ssteve macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
  12. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    But of course you are not as anxious as me because I am running windows, and am waiting for leopard and a merom upgrade to the imac.
  13. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    As do I. By the time it's released, I'll have plenty to spend on a nice MBP with Leopard preinstalled :)
  14. elbirth macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2006
    North Carolina, US
    I'm hoping that Spring is a conservative date and they'll be able to announce that it's ready to ship at MWSF.

I'm currently going to try waiting until around then to get a Mac Pro and would love to have it ship with Leopard already on it, rather than buying a computer and then turning around and almost immediately buying an updated OS for it.
  15. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2006
    you hit the nail on the head.
  16. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Doesn't bother me, a little later than I expected (I thought March - could still be March come to think of it) but if that means more testing time to make it fast and stable from the get-go then that's fine by me.

Also gives me more time to save up. $199 for a single license is going to take some time at the moment.
  17. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    I'm a little disappointed (I want a macbook or a macbook pro now) but Spring is around my birthday/graduation so I have a better chance of getting one :D Know what I'll be asking for. By then Leopard will be preinstalled on the machines (I hope :p)
  18. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Tiger is stable and works. If Leopard comes out, there's going to be a period of 3-6 months where everyone is a beta tester, and that's never any fun. :)
  19. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    im happy with the release date, mostly because the new technology and funstuff that is personally appealing to me like time machine and the new ichat features are probably too processor intensive for my maxed out ibook to handle.

I use vchat all the time, almost daily, so the video backdrops and what not lk great. but at the same time, with my internet connection, ibook g4, and even with the gf's imac g5 vchat is still slightly pixelated and choppy. I love all the new features, but i doubt i have the power to fully enjoy them.
  20. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    I am very happy with the release date because it is about 2 years after Tiger (April 29, 2005) which means that numerous features will be added (many beyond what were demonstrated at WWDC -- remember the "TOP SECRET" message). It also means that it will be the biggest point release of OS X since 10.0.

Also beta testing is probably out of the question for us end users because of the delayed release and the increase in developers who will be beta testing Leopard.

Additionally newspaper and magazine editors (and others -- such as bloggers and people at the nearby coffee shop on the corner) are more likely to compare Leopard to Vista if their release dates are closer together (which it looks like they will be closer than we previously thought because of what was initially announced (late '06 / early '07) but has been changed to the spring).

Something else that's neat is that we will experience some of what would have been on 10.6 but is going to be on 10.5 (Leopard). Because of the delayed release date more features can be added.

All in all this is really really good. :)
  21. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    I don't need obsolescence that soon. At least I can start saving now. I will likely have to purchase QuickTime Pro again, likely that will also be upgraded then. Probably iLife also. I tithe regularly to Apple.

I just bought two Cepstral Voices and the Swift TTS engine to use in Tiger, so I feel like I am getting my moneys worth if comes out in the Spring.

Luckily, this will mean that Apple will have it coded well by the time it gets to us. I wonder if they will have limited pre-release UI tests for the general public again?
  22. Da Bear macrumors newbie

Da Bear

Nov 30, 2006
    Incompatible And Incosistent

Leopard to be released in spring.....? I am soo not happy with that. I was hoping, I could buy my new macbook by Jan, where Leopard will probably come as preinstalled and now I got to wait till Spring. Yea, thats not going to work out.

Right now i use a lot of engineering softwares which require a lot of memory and on top of that I want to purchase the vista, basic requirements of 1GB and 15GB free space. what the fudge?
    The point here is in terms of efficiency of, how slow we feel that our pc's or mac's are running, they have not changed a bit.

Year > Memory - HD
    1994 > 64kb - 16mb
    1996 > 128mb - 6GB
    1999 > 256mb - 10GB
    2001 > 512mb - 40GB
    2004 > 1GB - 120GB

I mean come on, I need to request AAPL now to install a 2GB/slot memory card instead, so I can have 4gb in total. The applications nowadays are becoming tremendously large. I bet next standard Dells will be HD >150GB and >1GB memory.
  23. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm considering a MBP in Autumn, which is April, May, June so Leopard release around then isn't a problem for me.
  24. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    March is spring.

I don't see how the intel transition can be compared to a Mac OS release.

Large software projects are probably a lot more complex than creating some new hardware. With the hardware you are working with standard components etc.

Don't forget Mac OS X was originally promised for "Summer" 2000, and we didn't get a final version until March 24th 2001.

FWIW I think they'll go March 24th for Leopard as well. Either way I'd rather they iron out any problems and give the thing a dammed good testing before shipping.

As many of you point out, Tiger is absolutely fine.

I'm looking forward to TimeMachine, and seeing what else Scott Forestal et al have up to show us at MacWorld in January.
  25. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2006
    Seoul, South Korea
    Springs all good for me, will be buying (hopefully) my santa rosa macbook when Leopard's out... I'd be disappointed if they didn't preview some features at MWSF