Anyone do any ArcGIS stuff through Virtual PC?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iDM, Sep 15, 2005.

1. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Hey guys I'm taking a course in GIS and GPS which of course does not run on OS X at least the version included with my book. I was wondering how you feel it would run on a 1.25ghz PowerBook with 64 megs of Vram and 512 ram. Is it going to be disastrous and completely unusable? I don't think I'll be running alot of layers besides the regular images and a couple of general other layers in small areas of a topo map. Oh and its ArcView 9 btw. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I get Virtual PC for free from my school and the ArcView 9 software came with the book so i won't be spending any extra money installing either of these, I just prefer to install the least amount of things possible when i know they are useless

2. iDM thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDM

I'm assuming no one has any experience??

3. belvdr macrumors 601

You can probably run it, but it is going to be very slow. I installed ArcGIS Desktop (version 9, I think) on an older Dell (P3 800Mhz, 256MB RAM) and it was very slow. VPC only emulates a P2-400 (or P2-450, not much difference there) and I can only imagine how terrible it would perform.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Im using MapInfo right now at work on a Dell. I tried to run it on my G4 with VPC, but it was terribly slow, and I couldn't hook up our serial digitizing tables up to it.

older PC's are cheap, just pick up one that's a little faster than what you need to run AV9, that's the best solution.

Good luck in your GIS career should you choose to pursue it. :D

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'll be unusable. Sorry. I've used ArcView a little bit at uni on relatively competent PCs and can tell you VPC struggles with general system stuff, but without 3D support, it'll be unbearably slow with ArcView. :(

You could get a simple old PC box and you don't even need a screen if you run Remote Desktop Client. With a good network connection between the two (wireless is fine, 100Mbps ethernet is ideal), you could run it through your Mac. RDC is free. :)

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Yeh, he's right. The 1.25GHz g4 is slow with Apple apps... running an ESRI prog is VPC will be crushing. Especially if you'll be running extensions for MrSID support of orthos.

If you're serious about a career in mapping... jump ship on a work related front, and go buy a pc. I live a double life, mac for personal stuff and my dell for all work related stuff... arcview/map/pad, tgo, and pretty much and ngs related program.

Plus, an incorrect comment.

It's a reality man, apple is not going to work for us.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did we? If so, I'd like a little linky-poo.

Contrary to government policy, it would be...

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I was wrong and have edited my original post to reflect such. It stuck in my mind completely incorrectly. :(

9. iDM thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDM

Thanks guys for all the info, I currently have an internship working with ArcView 3 and I am taking a class in ArcGIS 9 right now. I have campus computers that are pretty quick that run in it fine I know, since I've already done a couple of assignments on it. I was just hoping that since i had both sets of software for free that I could run it on my Pb so that I didn't have to walk all the way to campus, but since it sounds like a no go I'll have to see where college and this internship take me before I drop any flow on a PC, thanks again for your help.