Anyone do something unique this weekend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Apr 24, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't know about the rest of you, by my weekend was chock full of exciting stuff. Well, as exciting as it gets for a family man such as myself. In addition to the normal play dates and birthday parties, we actually did something that I feel really good about.

Some friends of ours from our running club have twin sons, one of whom was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) at only a couple of months old. In fact, he's now only 8 months old. After undergoing significant amounts of treatment, he is in remission and the doctors are quite hopeful that he is completely cured, which is the case for many of these types of cases.

Anyway, this weekend we held a bowling fundraiser to raise money for research into the disease - not only was it a load of fun to go bowling with my two young kids, we were able to contribute to a positive cause.

So, does anyone else have some unique weekend stories to share?

2. taytho macrumors 6502

great work! how does a bowling fundraiser work? I raise a lot of money for MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and do a big bike ride every summer and need to raise money.... and dang does it feel great to see people working together for great causes, doesnt it?

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

We solicited local businesses for prize donations, then rented out a bowling alley. People paid a fee that covered the bowling and food and then we sold raffle tickets for the prizes. We had some pretty good stuff - a mountain bike, a $350 digital camera, 2 free round-trip airline tickets, etc. All in all, about 30 things. I think we ended up making about $3,000 in the 4 hours of the event, which isn't too bad.

Oh, and we made pretty good fools of ourselves, since one of the games entailed doing wacky things on each frame, such as bowling opposite-handed, bowling on one foot, bowling with your feet, etc. It was fun. Oddly enough, that was my best game. :eek: :D

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I sat on my bum and did assignments too. Only my bum was located in the Uni's Quad G5 computer lab. :D :D :D

20 G5 Quads all hooked up to 20" ACDs. Just magnificent.
    I think they're the only Macs in the place running Tiger although the Dual 1.8s might be running it in the Music lab - they're old G5's though.

I've fallen in love with the screens more than anything - I don't need the Quad's grunt but all that space makes my little 12" iBook look positively weak. They're bright too, I get a bit red sitting in front of them after a while.

6. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I cleanded up the house, mowed the lawn, and chatted on iChat... not too interesting...

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

We weren't nearly as altruistic in our weekend plans. We did go to the hubby's parents' house to spend time with his mom, who recently lost her mother. As would be expected she's taken the loss pretty hard so it was good to spend time with her and let her know that she's loved.

We then went to a Hindu engagement celebration Saturday evening. Way too over the top for just an engagement party. It felt more like a poorly organized wedding reception. It went according to Indian Standard Time (IST) so things didn't really get started until about 8:00 PM (was supposed to start around 7PM). Not to mention that we were at a table that was in an overflow area that had an extremely obstructed view of the head table and dance floor where various performances were being done. They should have found a way to have all the tables in the same room. It was worse than being in the nosebleed section of a sporting event. :D

8. Queso macrumors G4

The short answer is no.

Did the domestic stuff and shopping on Saturday, listened to Stockport beat Shrewsbury 3 - 1 on the radio :)) :) ), opened some Cava and got drunk with my partner in the evening. Sunday took the dog to the park in the rain, went down John Lewis' to buy some new bed sheets and some shirts for work, did some CCSE studying, watched Invasion.

All interspersed with walking/playing with the dog and posting on MR. Dull old life eh?

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Saturday, I worked. All day. Ugh.

I spent half of Sunday at home hanging out, then I spent the second half of the day with my girlfriend at her parents house. Got to meet some friends of theirs, hang out and talk, eat dinner...it was a good time. Then her and I went to the beach (after the sun set) for some quality time :)

10. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

When I was in India in January, there was a parade that went by our hotel one evening. We were wondering what the occasion was - some holiday or festival or something? No, it was a wedding. This thing was HUGE - just the sheer number of people, music, etc. Amazing.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Nope.
    Life lately is a blur of familiararity (sp.) :)

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We stopped back after the football on Saturday and the team came out and did a lap around the stadium to applaud the supporters, what with it being the last home game of the season and everything. We clapped and cheered and then sloped off home. Not the most exciting of events but it was a nice way of rounding off the afternoon.

That was the only slightly out of the ordinary thing that we did. Like Les, there's a blur of familiarity about my weekends at the moment... :eek:

13. Diavilo1 macrumors member

Nothing very interesting this past weekend but I'm getting married next saturday.

14. vniow macrumors G4

Saturday I went to a friend's choir concert in the evening, Sunday went out with same friend to a park near this Africal outlet store because we went there last week and the guy who worked there was telling us about dance practice for a carnival at the end of May that was open for anyone to participate.
    Got there later than we thought and ended up playing frisbee with a couple of guys in the little park. Apparently I'm really good at climbing fences because I was the only one who was willing to after I threw the thing behind a closed off area :eek:.
    After that we both went to her place and used up the rest of my camera, partially because I wanted to get the ones for Doctor Q developed as soon as I could, partialy I couldn't resist playing with this wig she placed on my head and the rest of it was because she was in the process of breaking up with her girlfriend that day so being my photographer was something that distracted her for awhile.

15. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Congratulations! Hopefully that's fairly unique for you at least :p

16. Queso macrumors G4

Oh well done. I hope that'll be something "unique" ;)

EDIT : Beaten to the punchline AGAIN. Not my day......

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Saturday: BootCamp gaming, garage saleing, more BootCamp gaming, organized room. More BootCamp gaming. Sleep.

Sunday: Church, lunch, band practice, watched A-team, sleep.

Monday: Sitting in the uni's G5 lab typing this. :mad: I'd rather sleep.

18. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

We'd hired a hall to celebrate the Festival of Ridván (pron. Rizván) last night. Wonderful evening!

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Same here buddy, 2 papers. This coming weekend it looks like more school work.

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

21. jonme macrumors newbie

Saturday I hopped across the pond to Dublin, Ireland for the night. Sampled quite a bit of the local brew until the early hours then came home sunday afternoon. It was a great trip , something so easy to do (only half an hour flight). Doing something like that once in a while really does you good I think - a break from the usual weekend chores etc.

22. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Sounds like a lot of fun - wish I could do those spontaneous things more often, but it's a little tougher these days.

23. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

That's one of our big concerns with our wedding reception this summer -- it's impossible to get all the tables in one room, so 3-4 tables are going to be under a tented "room extension." We can't decide if we should put the 20 somethings out there (out of respect for our elders) or if we should put the elders out there ('cause they can't kick our butts).

This weekend, we met with the justice of the peace who's going to marry us. What should have been a boring, 20 minute meeting turned into a lengthy afternoon meeeting -- what a wonderful, optimistic, full of life woman.

24. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I competed in the University Interscholastic League Region 2 2A academic contest. Not unique, but not something I do every weekend.

25. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I got woken up by the 3 AM phone call by a drunk female who wanted to come over discuss her feelings. I'm not sure how unique it was but I sure wasn't expecting it.