Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I have a 1.83ghz MBP that I bought right when they came out. I've been thinking lately of getting a C2D MB and selling the MBP.

In the process getting a faster computer, putting some money back in my pocket, and getting a computer thats more durable and that doesn't depreciate as fast.

Has anyone gone down from the MBP to MB and regretted it?

I know I'll miss the bigger screen at first, but I don't really do anything that requires a large screen on a regular basis.

I also rarely play games.

Let me know what you think?

I'd probably go for mid level white.

Another reason I'd like to do this is so I can easily upgrade the HD, I'm out of space on my 100gb. I'd probably keep the 80gb in the white MB until I can get a really good deal on a 200+ gb one.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yes although i re-upgraded in 24 hrs. That screen is just too small, keyboard is a tad annoying with the clickity clack. Thats just me though....YMMV.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I haven't gone down from a MacBook Pro to MacBook, but have just spent a month or so with a MacBook until my Pro turned up on Monday.

Really, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two performance-wise unless you're doing intensive work on them. My Core2 Pro seems to run cooler and quieter, and I love the extra screen-space for a machine that doesn't seem much bigger. (MB has big borders around the screen) While it's technically heavier, it feels lighter as it's roughly the same weight, but spread out a bit more.

The MacBook keyboard has a nice solid feel to the keys - I didn't like it much at first, but you get used to it. The Pro's keyboard felt very strange going back to it after a month with the MacBook, but I do still prefer it.

The screen is a big step down though - I don't like the glossy look at all, but the colour reproduction and viewing angles are much worse. It's just as bright though.

The build quality in general isn't as good, and the speakers seem quieter. (although I rarely use mine)

You do get what you pay for with the Pro machines, but the MacBook is still a great computer.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I know my old iBook had far worse build quality then this MBP (the plastic was creaky). I figured that was fixed with the MacBook.

Apparently not.

My room mate has a black MB CD and I know the speakers are quieter but he seems pretty satisfied with it.

I'm in class right now, I planned on going to pick one up after class.

I guess if it I can't take the switch I can swap back for a minimal loss of cash (hopefully).

Anyone else have thoughts to add?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I know my old iBook had far worse build quality then this MBP (the plastic was creaky). I figured that was fixed with the MacBook.

Apparently not.

My room mate has a black MB CD and I know the speakers are quieter but he seems pretty satisfied with it.

I'm in class right now, I planned on going to pick one up after class.

I guess if it I can't take the switch I can swap back for a minimal loss of cash (hopefully).

Anyone else have thoughts to add?

I went from MBP to macbook and feel mixed about it. I started with a black macbook but it started peeling and apple replaced it. I sold it because the replaced one had squeaky hinges. I also hated the constant smudges - it literally pulls fingerprints off your fingers!

I now have a white one and these are my brief impressions comapared to the Rev A 2ghz 15"mbp:

- better build quality. Not talking materials, just the actual build and how it's put together. No creaks or sounds, very sturdy feeling. The macbook pro had a wobbly batter, warped bezel, bulging aluminum in some places and was generally sloppy if you looked carefully. The macbook is almost perfect in terms of fit and finish and when I looked at others in the store I found that most of them were very well assembled compared to the MBP.
-plastics scratch like crazy even if you baby it. It's not very visible though so I'm ok with it. However, the albooks are much better in this regard.
-heat is much much better on the macbook than the three rev A MBPs i had. Gets warm sometimes, but nothing like the heat of the MBP.
-Performance is the same, except for graphics of course. For most things, they're comparable.
- Display: I think the macbook display is excellent. I actually like the glossy and it is much more visible outdoors than the matte mbps. I thought the MBP display was a poor quality LCD with poor viewing angles, a strange fuzzy look and unevenly illuminated. The macbook, in contrast, is sharp, evenly illuminated and has relatively ok viewing angles.
- I like that I can replace the hard drive easily by myself! Finally Apple caught up with the industry!
- fan on macbook seems to run more than macbook pro and it can be quite noisy at times when doing intensive work.

So, on balance, I'd say that I like the macbook better than the rev A mbp. I think it's a better designed computer than the MBP and I'm sure Apple will revise the MBP to include some of the nice features of the Macbook - like the wonderful latchless display.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Thanks, I'm going to pick up a white for myself in a few minutes. I appreciate your response.

Also, a small plus, I would've had to buy apple care for this MBP, buy getting a new computer I have that much longer to wait now. Maybe I'll even be confident enough in the MB that I won't feel the need to buy it.

I also feel that the MB will depreciate slower because its worth less then the MBP.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I downgraded from a MBP as well. I went through 2 C2D MBPs that had uneven screen brightness and got fed up. When the C2D MacBooks were announced yesterday I went to the Apple store within hours of the announcement to pick up a white 2.0 MacBook. Screen is much better (as far as the backlighting) but smaller. I do think the MacBook feels more sturdy than the MBP but some will argue otherwise. In the end, I'm very pleased with my MacBook and with the extra money I saved I can buy Applecare, upgrade the RAM to 2GB and possibly add a bigger and faster HDD down the road. I also have a very powerful gaming PC for when I do that so the integrated graphics is not an issue for me. Enjoy your new MacBook :)

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
its not really a downgrade, if you need the portability and compactness, then it could be seen as an upgrade

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
its not really a downgrade, if you need the portability and compactness, then it could be seen as an upgrade
Oh, definitely, although it's really not that much smaller in my opinion, and weighs about the same:

dscf0804wy5.jpg

(just a quick snap I took when my MBP arrived)

I really wish Apple would make an ultraportable "pro" machine though - I love the look of the new Sony VAIO type G, but it doesn't run OSX. :(

About 1/3 the weight of this, and has a 12.5 hour battery life. It's not the quickest thing around, but damn it's impressive: http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/en/...est+ultra+killer+weighing+less+than+900g.html

meepok

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
I'm actually using a MBP 1.83/1GB RAM/80GB HDD/X1600 128. It is the lowest range of MBP but i'm really happy with this machine. I will never give up a MBP for a MB; The MBP just look more professional in terms of look.

Also, the bigger screen is a plus for me compared to a MB.

Of course based on my opinion :)

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Well I'm back from the apple store. I'm reformatting the HD and stripping out all the crap I don't need from the base install.

With the MBP I would run out of battery before the end of my third class of the day with the brightness at lowest, no bluetooth, wifi on and no heavy lifting.

I'm looking forward to the near extra hour of battery life that the MB provides.

Sure I considered appearances in my switch but it wasn't that important. The wow factor of the aluminum case and light-up keyboard isn't worth ~$500 to me.

I'm not out to impress with my computer. This machine will let me do my work faster, longer and cheaper then my "old" MBP.

I'm debating weather I should keep the 1gb stick from my MBP and sell it with 512 or weather I should pull it out and use it in the MB which I plan on bumping to 2gb when memory prices come back down.

I'm guessing keeping it will save me money in the long run.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
That MBP looks huge compared to the Macbook, to me. But, having previously been a Picturebook user, what isn't?
I agree that the screen is absolutely huge in comparison, and being the same resolution as my 17" Powerbook was, feels even bigger. But because the frame is much thinner, the machine itself is only a half-inch or so bigger.

For me, the slight trade-off in size was worth it for the additional performance/features. I'd gladly sacrifice some speed to go with something like that VAIO which is significantly smaller and lighter, but I couldn't go back to Windows. (too much invested in Mac software for a start) I just wish Apple did something similar. :(

apunkrockmonk, glad you're liking your new MacBook - certainly seems like the right choice for you.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I haven't downgraded from a Pro to a consumer laptop before but I have upgraded from a consumer to a Pro. I had a 14" iBook, and the screen is an absolute upgrade, I could never go back to a smaller screen than my 15.4" widescreen now. The build quality seems much improved, although I got the model far down the line from when either of my computers were released. The iBook had creeky plastic, the keys on the keyboard came off while I was typing many a time, the hinge didn't close consistantly and the keyboard didn't feel sturdy at all. I can never downgrade from a Pro laptop to consumer now that I've had a Pro laptop. Other things that I prefer on the Pro is the design (aluminum is much better than plastic), the slot loading superdrive in the front, the ports are on both sides of the computer (really usefull, if you don't want to clutter one side of the desk) and changing the battery is a lot easier.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
These macbooks are definitely far sturdier then the iBooks they replaced. If they weren't I would've probably stuck with the Pro.

I do notice the screen size difference but it isn't bothering me much.

Even though this machine has 1GB of ram compared to the 1.5GB in my MBP, it feels much snappier.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I agree that the screen is absolutely huge in comparison, and being the same resolution as my 17" Powerbook was, feels even bigger. But because the frame is much thinner, the machine itself is only a half-inch or so bigger.

For me, the slight trade-off in size was worth it for the additional performance/features. I'd gladly sacrifice some speed to go with something like that VAIO which is significantly smaller and lighter, but I couldn't go back to Windows. (too much invested in Mac software for a start) I just wish Apple did something similar. :(

apunkrockmonk, glad you're liking your new MacBook - certainly seems like the right choice for you.

I loved the Picturebook for one reason, the size. But, the sacrifices made in terms of speed on those computers was not slight. It was massive, almost to the point of being unusable. When Sony made the jump to the Transmeta processors, it killed those machines.

I sold mine and moved to a 12" iBook. Even at its size it was a ton bigger than the Picturebook, which was a little hard to stomach. But it was worth it, and it made the jump to the Macbook that much easier. The size difference between the two was much less of a shock to my system than the Picturebook jump.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
These macbooks are definitely far sturdier then the iBooks they replaced. If they weren't I would've probably stuck with the Pro.

Agreed. My iBook always made an annoying creak when I opened it. I also thought the plastics seem quite a bit more brittle on the iBook. Every time I had to open that thing up, I was worried that I'd snap something.

I'm a big Macbook backer. In my opinion, they're superior in every way, but size, to the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.