Anyone drive a Scion?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Scion tC

I am looking for a new car and just came across this car on the net. I knew almost nothing of this car, but from all the reviews I read it is an amazing car at a great price:

Around $17,000
    Made by Toyota (you can't beat a Toyota's reliability!)
    As an option it offers integrated iPod connectivity, which delivers iPod display information and allows unit control through the audio system.

Anyone own/drive one of these? I am glad I found this car on the net--a few hours ago it wasn't even on my radar screen.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I think it is one of the nicer-looking cars that Toyota makes (not a big Toyota fan).

Always notice them on the street.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I've always considered Toyota the Apple of car companies, it always "just works". There are two things my family is known for, Apple computers and Toyota cars, we all have both. My 95 toyota camry drives like the day it was made ( has 135,000 miles on it). I'm looking at my next car being the Highlander Hybrid.

4. iGav macrumors G3

god no!!! :eek:

Audi = Apple ;)

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er... Audis and VW's (same thing) have horrible electrical problems. But they sure are purdy.

I say go for it. I was worried when I read your title because I instanly thought of the Xa's and the Xb's... ewww. But the tC is a nice looking car. Sort of like, a more affordable Solara. I've also only heard good things about the tC but none of my buddies drive one... so no personal experience w/. Go for a test drive! That's what they're for-- to convince you to drop the $. :D

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I consider toyota because it is actually affordable to most people, not everyone can buy an Audi ( myself included).

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The scary part is... the upfront cost is "nothing" compared to the maintenance fees! :eek: And no, I don't own an Audi myself.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The Scion line is due for an overhaul here shortly. There are rumors of the tC coming in a supercharged version. Depending on the price, that would quite a car, the standard engine is already pretty large.

The xB will look the most different, a lot better from what I have seen. And it is rumored that it will get the engine that is now in the tC as well.

9. Vster macrumors 6502

Hey my wife's xA is awesome! (after a few minor upgrades)

And the xB has a surprising amount of room inside.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I never said they weren't trusty or roomy cars... I just don't personally like the way they look.

11. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Vulvo!!

12. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

I have a Classic Silver 2006 Scion Tc on backorder right now. I got mine with the Automatic trans because of the slightly better gas mileage and the fact that I drive in heavy traffic most of the time. I also did not care much for the Standard 5 speed transmission as the shifting position was a little awkard to my tastes also getting the thing into reverse was trickier than other manual Toyotas I have driven.

I also got the ipod Capable Head unit as an option as well as the side airbags. I also added the Toyota VP3 alarm option as well as those nice Dual purpose floor mats/wheel locks and my out the door total with all taxes and fees was just over $19,000. Really looking forward to getting the ipod Head unit, controlling ipod through my steering wheel and seeing everything displayed on the Head Unit will be nice.

I can't wait to get my car and hope to have it by late August to early September. The Car handles and feels much better than anyone would expect especially for the price. I was going to buy another Corolla to replace my 99 but for about $3000 more than a Corolla I got a car that has features, handling, performance, and quality that would have costed me $10,000 more regardless of make.

13. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Macs unlike Toyotas are not affordable to most people with the exception of the mac mini. I would say that the mac is more the BMW of computers. The The Ultimate Computing Machine.

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I was considering getting a Scion before I got my Mazda.
    I've seen them around and they look like pretty snappy cars if you are single and don't have a lot to haul around.
    I saw the boxy looking one with some nice rims on it at a store parking lot and had to say that it looked damned sharp.
    Only issue for me is the center mounted instrument panel. Not a big fan of that but then again other people might like it.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

you guys got the whole Apple = car thing all wrong... [slap]
    Apple = Lexus ;) ...which is an upscale toyota... not everyone can afford them but they are classy and reliable.
    </thought for the day>

a friend of mine has a Scion, i think it's rather funny looking personally but she really likes it.

16. iGav macrumors G3

As do Apple's... :p :p :p

I say Audi, because I cannot think of a single mainstream car brand that focuses so much attention and resources to design, aesthetics and engineering within it's products... many parallels can be drawn between the two brands.

I do wish Apple's were as reliable as Toyota's though. *sighs*

17. iGav macrumors G3

god no!!! :eek:

Lexus = Antichrist of originality :p

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That would be the Xb--- and seeing as how I'm very biased when it comes to these "vehicles," I would venture to say that the "b" stands for boxy (if I was in a good mood) to "butt ugly" (if I was, well, in a normal mood). :D

But I do know someone who owns one... he swears by it. And that's swell for him. In the perfect world, everyone would be content.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

hahaha! well, i would agree on the audi thing except audis do not have the reliablility that toyota/lexus has. they merely have the style ;)

20. rkristich macrumors member

I love the Scion tC! They are very nice looking cars, come with great featurs, are not too expensive and of course come with the excellent reliability of a Toyota.

I'm only 17, and there's no way I'm getting a new car anytime soon, but if somebody just handed me $20,000 to get a car with, there's no doubt that I would buy a tC.

If there's a Toyota dealership nearby, why not see if they have one on the lot you can look at in person and test drive?

By the way, three out the four cars my family owns are made by Toyota (Two regular Toyotas and a Lexus), and there have been no major problems with any of them. My car is the oldest (1991 Cressida), and the only serious problem it had was from when it was my brother's car (progression of owners: grandpa->older brother->me). It started overheating, and he didn't bother to try and cool it down, he just kept on driving, and it ended up in the shop for a few days. It does have some minor problems; for example the cd player doesn't work (not that it matters since I always use my iPod in the car) and the passenger seat doesn't recline. However, only having such little problems is impressive for a car that's almost 15 years old. It's still really fun to drive, and I can accelerate faster than most new cars of comprable size. :cool:

21. 173080 macrumors 6502

Of course. :D

BMW: The Ultimate Driving Machine. Makes driving fun. Driver feels "at one" with the car.
    Mac: The Ultimate Computing Machine. Makes computing fun. User feels like a part of the Mac.

They both focus on giving the user a superb experience which sets them apart from other brands. The designs are also very innovative and can be very easily identified.

BMW and Apple go hand-in-hand. ;)

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well this thread's certainly changed direction. :p

Toyota makes cars that just work...

But they're ugly! :eek:

Audi also makes cars that just work...

And they're stunning! :D

Toyota is kind of like the old IBM in that they make great hardware but it looks like something designed by an engineer - all function and no style.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, I disagree. The more bubbly body style of the Supra was and still is an amazing looking car. The newer Celicas w/ the legit JDM body kits and whatnot look pretty darn nice. I think Avalons and some Solaras look ok. I also disagree because Audi's don't "just" work... sure the blocks are nice and the aesthetics, but a car is more than just it's block or looks. You need dependable electronics, especially this day in age, where so much of a car's functionality is dependent on the electrical system.

24. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Hummer H2 = Windows

Big, bulky, resource hogs. They get the job done but require more effort to do it. However, if you know how to tame it and care for it, its a luxurious vehicle.

Jaguar = Apple

You pay for the quality and looks, but its definitely worth it. However, due to its big price tag, you'll need to pay extra to fix it and can not use just any products out there for it. However, its fanbase is growing every year, and more things are becoming available for it. Plus, OS X 10.2's name was...

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The xB is a sexy car in a "fugly" sort of way. This is one that has grown on me with time. I was impressed to see the xB as CityCar's in SF on my recent visit.