Anyone else buy advance wars DS??

Discussion in 'Games' started by spaceballl, Aug 25, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Dude I bought Nintendogs (bought into the hype) and Advance Wars... Advance Wars has since consumed my life. That games is SO much fun!!! Anyone else? I feel like its release was shadowed by Nintendogs...

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Didn't know it was out yet. Reviews say it is great!

3. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

I bought Advance Wars DS and I love it. Go get it already!!!

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Thats good to here. In general is it harder then the first two?

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I bought Advance Wars instead of Nintendogs, and am addicted :eek:

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm on level 17 so far, I'm sure some of you addicts have already beaten it :D

Anyone seen the Windows reference? When Jugger (one of the COs and a robot for those that don't play the game) uses his special attack one of his lines is, "Blue Screen of Death!"

Cracked me up when I saw it :D Perhaps Nintendo's way of teasing the competition?

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

8. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Had I had a DS, this would be a definite buy. Now I have to get a SP instead to complement my copy of AW2. Great game, great game! :D

9. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

heck yeah... the only ds game worth anything

... I think the levels are easier than the first two till you get to 17 or so after that it takes some mad skill and perfect moves to pass with an "S", "A", or even "B" ranking... great story line too; just don't get caught with your back to the wall...

As for any addicts that have beaten it, I haven't found one yet but I hope to soon!

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I've been playing Nintendogs too much to get into Advance Wars DS.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i've been playing AW2 with my girlfriend. still 1 week left till i get my AW DS :(

12. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Best game for the DS!

I've got Advance Wars DS in the DS slot, and Advance Wars 2 in the GBA slot on my DS. These games are great! The DS is perfect for strategy games, I hope they make more of them soon.

13. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

madmic, yeah, the touch surface and pen should be great for strategy games.. :cool:

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

THE BLACK BLOB IS EVIL!!! :eek:

15. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I heard by doing that you unlock extra levels.. true?

Definitely! While i love the turn based style of AW, I'd love to see an RTS..

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

the very though of a DS Fire Emblem just makes my head fall off and roll away. all the way down the cornershop down the road. where they were kind enough to bring it back up on a donkey. since then the pattern repeats only with my head chanting "FIRE EMBLEM DS... FIRE EMBLEM DS"

that time will come. they add a multiplayer to that game and thats it. single handedly would become my favorite game ever.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

As soon as I get some extra cash or manage to dig up some stuff that my local game store wants in trade I am trading in my SP and getting a DS and this game. I'm also really excited for the DS surgery game and (I am almost certain I read this) Katamari DS.

Anyone know what GameStop/EB games are giving in store credit for an SP? :)

18. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.... that would be pretty cool if it did unlock extra levels, but I haven't seen anything like that yet. I'm still pretty early in the game, but it's hard to put down. This is one of those "digital crack" type of games where you just get addicted. I'll let you know if anything special happens from having the two games in, but so far I haven't noticed anything yet.

19. cubist macrumors 68020

Got this game yesterday, and so far I am enjoying it a lot. Fun, yet deep.

I believe there are "classic maps" on it which duplicate the Advance Wars maps; don't think there'd be any benefit to having the AW GBA cart in there.

As for RTS, Age of Empires is supposed to be coming "fall".

20. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

well the most exciting feature (imho) is the way AW utilizes the top screen. In solo CO mode you see info about tiles and units on the top screen, but if in Dual CO mode the top screen is used to show your teammate's units. I give it a 9/10.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

AOE DS is a TBS, not RTS.

22. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I picked up a DS yesterday, along with Mario 64, Meteos, and Advance Wars 2 for the GBA to play on the DS. The DS version didn't seem to look any better, and from what I here the AW 2 is super solid, and only cost me $16.

I really had no interested in turn-based games, despite having liked Metal gear Acid on the PSP. I'm a rated chess expert, so I guess chess is the closest thing to chess for me:)

That being said, AW 2 GBA is awesome, and I highly recommend it to any new DS owners who want to save $20 over the DS version and spend that money on Meteos instead. I first played AW 2 on the Virtual Boy GBA emulator on my powerbook (ran great, but choppy sound), and knew within 15 minutes (takes that long to get used to the cutsy stuff) that I wanted to experience it on a portable.

I still hate the DS though!!!! This thing is so cheap-feeling compared to my PSP and the screen is too dim and can't be adjusted. Meteos does rock, and Mario 64 rocks also, but I won't play the latter anymore because it's frustrating.

I'm debating whether to return the DS and just borrow a GBA to get AW 2 out of my system (if that's possible!) or just keep the DS in the hope that games like Nanostray and Nintendogs turn out to be really good.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hold out.

November we have Burnout Legends (online?), Mario Kart DS (online), Animal Crossing DS (online), Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (online), MegaMan Battle Network DS, Mario & Luigi 2, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe DS, Ultimate Brain Games (online), and NFS Most Wanted... :D

Burnout...*drools*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]