Anyone else disappointed with their new aebs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by logandzwon, Feb 9, 2007.

1. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

The disk sharing offers no real auth, either you have a password or you don't, and if you don't, you can set that either people can do nothing, read, or read/write.

There is no way to set up mutiple users, or set various permissions. IE; I can't set up the device so that My wife and I can update the advaible music on the drive, my daughter can play music, but not delete it, but not access other material on the drive.

I had hoped to replace my mac mini, (which is used 99% for disk sharing.) But, doesn't look like it's gonna work out.

Also, I had really hoped for upnp for the router aspect of it... Again, another let down. I'm used to apple being open and supporting everything, and I just don't feel that way about this product. I am probly going to return it and get another linksys once openwrt supports them.

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

That's a bummer to hear. I was expecting it to basically support the same permissions system as OS X if you choose HFS for the USB drive. I guess that the little issues with a 1st generation product (first Airport with sharing) are showing. Maybe I'll save my $180 for gen2 :D

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The disk on the AEBS is a MacHFS+ disk, right? Have you tried to see if you can enable ACL on it?

4. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Apple hated Microsoft's network services discovery standard, so they wrote their own: Bonjour/Zeroconf/Protocol-formerly-named-Rendevous... Chesire did it again writing NAT-PMP which replaces the part of the UPnP protocol which opens ports dynamically on the router. While some devices don't support it, I was quite pleased to find that the XBox 360, and quite a lot of my OS X software already does support it. Apple does have a mechanism for opening the ports, they just didn't want to implement large chunks of the UPnP mega-spec to do it (UPnP is pretty bloated, even though when implemented well, it does what it is supposed to do pretty well, until MS breaks it with their devices).

There are very few good disk sharing kits out there, and all of the good ones are more expensive than the AEBS... I wasn't expecting anything good out of it, and have an Infrant NAS I use instead.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Looking at page 56 of the manual, it would appear that you can set up accounts. This doesn't work?

6. Americanloti macrumors member

You are mistaken. You can se tup multiple accounts and give them read-only or read/write permissions. It's very easy to set up. Just go in the airport utility, Command+L, click on disks e change the option from single password to user accounts. You have to set up the accounts, they are not the same as the system's.I received my Airport yesterday and I absolutely love it! It's FAST and I finally eliminated all the cables without giving up the speed.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That works OK, but if you have multiple drives the security is all or nothing.
    Either a user can access ALL shared drives or NONE. I want to share 3 drive on my network but I dont want all drives available to all users.

Has anyone gotten aorund this limitation???

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I think the OP desires folder level access control. Adding *NIX based permissions would be a chore to manage, unless you have a PDC or OS X Server, how are you going to keep them all in sync?

I had so many problems trying this using my mini as a file server, that I just ignore permissions on my shared drive anyway.

9. Americanloti macrumors member

I havent't set up the multiple user feature because i live alone, but from what I could see each user has it own folder. So I guess you can put everything outside if you want everybody to see it and what's private in the user folder. I haven't tried that, I could be wrong. Another cool feature that I have just tested is the sharing of the drive on the WAN port. A friend of mine in italy just connected to my drive using afp protocol.

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

There arent folders when sharing a drive with aebs, the user can either Read/Write, Read, or No Access. Basically they can see ALL drive or no drives. Not very good or secure.

All I want to do is share 3 drives via the AEBS. Some users would be alble to see ALL the drives. Other users only have access to some of the drives. I want security per drive!

Anyway I can do this??

11. Americanloti macrumors member

Are you sure? This is a screenshot of my usb disk. I never created the folders "shared" and "users", the Airport did. I have just one drive, son I don't know what happens with multiple drives.

Attached Files:

12. glhiii macrumors regular

New AEBS performance -- good and bad

First of all, it works terribly with the USB disk. Very slow, then couldn't find anything -- I tried 3 different disks, all of which worked from the computer's USB port but which did not mount when hooked up to the new AEBS.

On the other hand, it's pretty fast on its own network. I have it set up with my old AEBS (not n speed), and my MBP connects to the new airport, my printer and other macs on the old AEBS, and everything works. Speed on n: 3 mbps. This is a lot faster than on the old one.

I hope Apple fixes the USB disk. When it did work, I tried transferring a file, but it took twice as long as when I logged in as a remote user and transferred it the usual way. It seems inexcusable that Apple would release such a defective product. They should have released the AEBS without claiming USB disk access and then updated it when and if they got it to work. It is, however, pretty impressive how it works with the old AEBS and allows you to use the old one for b and g and the new one for only n, thereby maximizing the speed of n.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

A little... for the same reasons mentioned.

The shear speed of 802.11n also made me realise how sucky not having GbE is, the wireless traffic can easily saturate the wired links during a file transfer!

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I don't think you can... I ended up using the AEBS just for printer sharing and delegating file sharing to another constantly on computer instead.

With sharepoints you can get such a higher level of control that is just not possible with the AEBS.

15. logandzwon thread starter macrumors 6502a

The majority of service does not support PMP though, I wish everything did. However the fact of the mater is that everyone uses upnp for opening NAT ports. I am a huge supporter of bonjour enabled devices, including buying and not buying things that support it or don't. Are you sure about the 360? I was fairly certain it did not support pmp. If I end up returning the aebs I'll wait for openwrt to support wrt350n and use that.

16. logandzwon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for pointing that out though, I missed it before. This enables me to create mutiple username/passwords, with each account having either red or read/write access. It creates two folder in the root of the drive, shared and users. Inside users there is a fodler for each user. When you connect to the device, it mounts to shares, one is a link to users/logandzwon, the other to shared. This isn't ACLs, but it is better.

17. logandzwon thread starter macrumors 6502a

k, I'm done with it, it's going back. I'd sell it here, but my post count is too low. =(