Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paolobed7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
just recently i purchased a mac book pro and was extremely happy with the intel speed. but yesterday after chatting and using my wencam on ym all of a sudden i am not allowed to view my friends nor m i able to open my cam for long. it will connect then stop automatically. i tried using the isight as an alternative but to no avail. what the heck is goin on???

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
paolobed7 said:
just recently i purchased a mac book pro and was extremely happy with the intel speed. but yesterday after chatting and using my wencam on ym all of a sudden i am not allowed to view my friends nor m i able to open my cam for long. it will connect then stop automatically. i tried using the isight as an alternative but to no avail. what the heck is goin on???

YM has always been rather crap, seeing as how Yahoo doesn't care about for its Mac user base. Cases in point: the last version of YM (2.5.3) was released nearly three years ago while the Windows version is up to 7 I believe, no [java] chat for Mac users anymore. I'm not even sure if YM supports iSights.

I'll echo the other poster - AdiumX is great.

paolobed7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
can adium support webcam?

i have adium downloaded but correct me if i am wrong i dont think it supports any webcam viewing or broadcasting...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
paolobed7 said:
i have adium downloaded but correct me if i am wrong i dont think it supports any webcam viewing or broadcasting...

You are correct.

My advice? Ignore all the YM bashing in this thread. It's irrelevant to your issue.

You HAD it working. On your Mac. So let's get it fixed.

Can you try deleting your profile off of YM and re-entering your information?

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
You can access other IM's in iChat

There is another pane in preferences where you can enter Yahoo and Jabber names then access them. This feature isn't highly known and I can't personally verify that it works.

I think I stumbled across it in iChat help or maybe it was in discussions at Apple Support. At any rate you may want to try it out.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
QuantumLo0p said:
I think I stumbled across it in iChat help or maybe it was in discussions at Apple Support. At any rate you may want to try it out.

iChat allows you to register a Jabber account, and that account can act as a gateway for MSN and Yahoo. Here is a guide. So yes, this is true. However, it does not give you webcam access, which is specifically what the OP is looking for....

pj4life

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
paolobed7 said:
but yesterday after chatting and using my wencam on ym all of a sudden i am not allowed to view my friends nor m i able to open my cam for long. it will connect then stop automatically. what the heck is goin on???
I have the same problem. Since yesterday I have been unable to view other friends cams (Actually says their cam is not online) but if I invite them to view mine with the cam button in the message window they are able to see mine, sometimes. It may take a couple invites but eventually my cam comes on and I can invite others on after it is running, But, no luck on the receiving video though. Bummer. Any ideas? I know yahoo is crap for support for Mac but I'd just like to know what happened.

RoninXI

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2006
Vermilion, Ohio
Same here

Just to confirm our fears. Yes it is server side and for what it is worth, being not much,Yahoo support says "we are working on resolving the issue."

This has nothing to do with Yahoo bashing in any way, their lack of Mac support is a constant issue. Please Yahoo if you don't care about us do one thing for your mac users and help the many other 3rd party IM apps do the coding for you...they WANT to make it work.

iChat, Adium, Fire... maybe more.
They are willing to do the work for you please just help them.

cactapus

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2006
Phew, glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been using Yahoo with my webcam since aMSN, Mercury, and iChat failed to work. Yahoo's webcam support is slow and shaky, but it was the most reliable way to cam with Windows users. The other night, it just stopped working and gave me the same messages as the OP had. I know it's wishful thinking to assume that Yahoo actually cares enough to resolve the issue, but at least we know that it's not our computers/webcams that are faulty.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
CorvusCamenarum said:
YM has always been rather crap, seeing as how Yahoo doesn't care about for its Mac user base. Cases in point: the last version of YM (2.5.3) was released nearly three years ago while the Windows version is up to 7 I believe, no [java] chat for Mac users anymore. I'm not even sure if YM supports iSights.
Yahoo's hired a Mac developer or two to work on an updated version of YM recently, and one of them is even a MacRumors member!! :) So no fretting, Yahoo hasn't forgotten the Mac users.

paolobed7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
i hope so

things are getting really difficult what with the many video conferences i need for my business. i have yet to convert my business partners to become mac users but out of 9 i have made believers out of three. i just dont understand why i was able to use it for two weeks and then after that nothing at all...does that really happen?

pao

Salamat

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Herts, England
lost Yahoo webcam

Relieved to have found your thread as I've spent about three days trying to work out this problem, reinstalling yahoo etc......on the point of a complete reinstall thinking I'd somehow messed up my firewall settings!

At least I know it's not just me now!

Salamat

cactapus

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2006
janey said:
Yahoo's hired a Mac developer or two to work on an updated version of YM recently, and one of them is even a MacRumors member!! :) So no fretting, Yahoo hasn't forgotten the Mac users.

That's excellent news! Thanks for restoring my hope.

PcolaMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
I'm so irritated!!!!

I'm glad to see this forum. Otherwise, I was ready to throw this Mac Mini out the dang window!!! I haven't been able to view/broadcast webcams in a few days. After reinstalling and messing with a ton of stuff I probably shouldn't have, I can't even get Yahoo Messenger to load on my machine now.

My friend is who got me hooked on Mac and in our frustration today he says "Well, you should just go buy a PC again since all you do is run YM." I freaking REFUSE to by a windows-based product again and Yahoo needs to catch up with the times. Some of you have said not to Yahoo bash, but I'm sorry. I have to vent.

I think the fact they are about 5 versions behind for Mac is simply a slap in the face and I'm not gonna stop talking about it. This forum is just my first stop. I'll write the top dog if I have to. This is retarded!!!!!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PcolaMacUser said:
I think the fact they are about 5 versions behind for Mac is simply a slap in the face and I'm not gonna stop talking about it. This forum is just my first stop. I'll write the top dog if I have to. This is retarded!!!!!

I agree with you completely, but sadly... you could replace Yahoo Messenger with AIM, MSN, Skype, or Google Talk in this context and say basically the same thing. Not a single one of them offers full functionality through their own client on Macs, does it, excepting that Apple gives you iChat AV?

aygee

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
not alone

I've had these problems for about a week now. And on 2 different Macs running different versions of the OS (10.2.8 and 10.3.4), using different webcams, and accessing the internet with different ISPs.

The problem suddenly appeared one morning - no cam - and not being able to view a friend's cam.

The problem I had was as follows: on the mac running 10.3.4 YM would crash when I tried to start the webcam. On the one running 10.2.8 it would show "connecting" then, immediately, "stopped". On both, a friend's invite would give the response "This user doesn't not have his/her cam online".

On the mac running 10.3.4 I fixed permissions, and suddenly I got my outgoing video picture back, without it crashing. Curiously, without doing the same on the other mac, my video was back. None of this really mattered, as no friend could view my webcam and I still couldn't see others.

I've trashed permissions to no avail. I've reset the firewall with proxy settings and opened a specific port for YM to no avail. I removed YM and reinstalled to no avail.

I've contacted Yahoo twice. the only response I had is that the feedback I've given might help their engineers who are working on it. What "it" is is unclear.

Sorry for the ramble. Nothing to help, just my experience.

paolobed7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
thanks so much for your replies

i posted this thread in the hopes that i may find someone in the same situation as me...basically to prevent myself from going insane thinking i screwed something up. Thank u all for both restoring my faith and sanity with my mac. I can only hope that the solution comes sooner for all of our sakes. There has been much talk about bootcamp and how u simply partition your mac to run windows xp. that may mean we can use the pc version of yahoo but not the built in cams of the mac book pros. anyway m glad m not alone. ill keep on researching myself this has become an obsession now. we deserve to be treated right

pao

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The last release of Yahoo! Messenger was so great to add webcam access--it's been that long. The good thing is that the people I know running the Windows version don't seem to be any happier.

It would be nice if there was a single webcam conduit so that every IM client could use it and be done with it.

aygee

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
cam back online

My outgoing video is working this morning... at least my friends can see me, but I still can't see them. They still appear to be offline to YM :(

dscan99

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
PHew.. I'm not the only one!

Yup I encountered this same issue couple days back when I tried to use my iSight with Yahoo IM!! I hadn't webcamed for a few weeks and it was a new iSight and I somehow thought my iSight was broke :( !! I would open up YM, initiate a webcam chat and BAM!!- the entire app would CRASH.

Such crazniess....

I'm using iChat/AOL for the time being... Can't wait for Adium to integrate audio/video... come on HURRY UP!!

Salamat

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Herts, England
Still Yahoo problems???

Day before yesterday I managed to get two way video, Mac to PC but yesterday couldn't connect either way!

Everyone still having problems? Anyone found any workarounds?

Salamat

paolobed7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
i got temp two way

i got temporary two way video just a while ago...is yahoo being more cruel than ever giving us a tast of what should be and then taking it away? whats up with the short time that it worked? :(

pao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.