Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMan112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
Since Tiger came out, I switched from Firefox to Safari. Lately, I've been noticing that Safari loads pages very slowly, and it often freezes up (the rainbow spinning thing shows up).

The freezing was enough to send me back to Firefox. Is the caused by something with my computer, or is it just the way Safari is?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Must be a problem somewhere else in your system.
Did you do a upgrade or a completely new install?
Maybe a little more info...

What kind of settings are you using with Safari?
Any add ons?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
I get the spinning beachball too. I am using the latest version. I am trying out Shiira, its quite snappy and imported all my safari bookmarks.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Nah... there is the occasional beach-balling with Safari 2 and it crashes every now and then (almost exclusively when closing tabs after visiting sites with shady cgi-programming), but I still find it the best browser at the moment (also coming from Firefox under Panther).

If you're too annoyed with Safari, try the nightly builds of Firefox 1.1/1.5. There has been some mentioning of that being very much better with Tiger than Firefox 1.0.x.

There's always Opera, Shiira and Camino, too if you want to try some different browsers. All free ones with some dedicated followers... ;)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
wkw said:
I get the spinning beachball too. I am using the latest version. I am trying out Shiira, its quite snappy and imported all my safari bookmarks.
Wow I've never heard of this browser before ... reminds me of Avant on PC (adds features to IE like this adds features to Safari)

I'm using it now ... it's really nice! ^^

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
no problems using safari for me, it rocks, im actually NOT using Camino as my main browser which is surprising, perhaps i will switch back with the next build

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
while I am happy with safari, shiira does look pretty cool - some nice eye candy-type stuff...tab expose, page turning..I'll have to check it out!

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
If you're too annoyed with Safari, try the nightly builds of Firefox 1.1/1.5. There has been some mentioning of that being very much better with Tiger than Firefox 1.0.x.

Whao whao whao whoa, whoa. Where are these builds of Firefox 1.5?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Sogo said:
Whao whao whao whoa, whoa. Where are these builds of Firefox 1.5?
1.1 = 1.5, sort of (I'm stretching it a bit ;)). There were some reports a week ago about Mozilla skipping the 1.1 release and going directly for 1.5, because 1.1 has so many added features that it made more sense to call it 1.5.

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
1.1 = 1.5, sort of (I'm stretching it a bit ;)). There were some reports a week ago about Mozilla skipping the 1.1 release and going directly for 1.5, because 1.1 has so many added features that it made more sense to call it 1.5.

Thats all fine and dandy, but you said "try the nightly builds of Firefox 1.1/1.5." Which, to me, means that we can download the pre release builds...I have yet to find it.

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Funny story: I open deerpark from the DMG and its fine... I Open deerpark from hardrive, its all messed up...OH well...cant really complain.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
On my G5, and mini, Safari runs pretty well. No major issues other than that on the mini it suffers the memory leak problem which means that after a couple of days of continuous use it gets a bit sluggish. Qutiing and restarting resolves the problem completely. It has the same memory leak problem on the G5 too of course, but even after a week, does not cause any performance issues.

BUT, running Safari on my old G4/450 Sawtooth is a lesson in frustration. On this system the memory leak problem doesn't seem to occur, but clicking on almost any link on any page pushes the CPU to 100% (Activity Monitor shows Safari has about 87-93% of that) and the spinning beachball appears. The stall lasts anything from just under a second to maybe 10 seconds, depending on which site is involved - and ironically, Apple's web site (particularly the support and dicussion areas) are the worst!

All systems are running 10.4.2 and have 512Mb RAM - actually the G4/450 has a bit more than that. It makes web browsing on the G4 a tedious activity.

Oddly, in Panther and Jaguar the G4 was perfectly usable with the prior issues of Safari, and since it has 3 internal drives, I'm going to do a bit of experimentation by loading Jaguar on one, Panther on another and retaining Tiger on the primary and booting alternately from each to see how the different OS/Safari versions impact on performance and use.

It seems to me that from the time when Safari was released, when Apple rightly proclaimed the amazing speed it achieved in accessing and loading pages, subsequent iterations have become more and more bloated - to the point where it has little other than simplicity of use going for it.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Try using webkit version.. on version tracker there is an App that allows you to download the nightly build. There are quite a few improvements, and appears to be quite stable.

Shame Apple won't implement some of the features in Firefox - such as per website settings for popup, cookies etc.

I wish Apple would allow more than one user name / password autofill per website.

However, the latest stable version of Safari is fine, fast and stable. No problems.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I find Safari most excellent.
I do restart it if it starts to get too slow, like when I have a lot of tabs and windows going.
I run with Java and Plugins turned off but JavaScript turned on and blocking popup windows.
I use PithHelmet and Sogudi but no other extras.
Speed is excellent and it runs smoothly.
This is on a PowerBook Pismo, PowerBook Lombard and iMac G5 20".

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Safari runs fine for me. No stalls, hardly any crashes, fast and easy to use.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Safari is fine for normal use. However, I get occasional crashes on sites that require lots of loading. Moreover, mlb.com baseball websites just take too long to navigate; Safari seems to have problems with loading the flash content fluidly.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
goodtimes5 said:
Safari is fine for normal use. However, I get occasional crashes on sites that require lots of loading. Moreover, mlb.com baseball websites just take too long to navigate; Safari seems to have problems with loading the flash content fluidly.

I experience similar issues with crashes myself. If a page has a lot of stuff on it Safari likes to just close on me. Very frustrating but not frequent enough to make me switch browsers.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
No problems with Safari here. All is working fine, even in pages that require a lot of loading...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.