Anyone else finding iPhone 4 uncomfortable to hold?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Jul 24, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

Mar 25, 2010
    I love the aesthetics of the phone, it looks like a high end piece of electronics, better than anything else out there...but I'm finding when it comes to holding it, it's pretty uncomfortable. The edges dig into my hand and fingers. I'm not using a a case or bumper but ordered the free black bumper and that would def. help though Ive always hated cases.

Anyone else feel the same?
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2010
    Lakeland, FL
    No, it's perfectly comfortable to hold.

EDIT: Not to try to pick on you or anything but I have seen it before on here where people talk about sharp edges, etc... Seriously? If your holding it hard enough that the edges of the phone dig into your had, stop squeezing it so damn hard.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Apr 8, 2010
    Not at all. You must be applying some bit of pressure if its digging into your hands and fingers. Relax a little man ;)
  4. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2010
    New York
    I gotta say, when checking them out in the Apple store. I did a mock hold to see how it feels in the hand when up to the ear. And I gotta admit, it's much different than I'm used to. Every phone I've had before ordering this iPhone has been a non-expensive type of phone. I could manhandle all of them. I'd take them out of my pocket when I came home from work and literally toss them onto the counter sometimes. This will be a much different experience. Both in holding it, and just general treatment of the device.
  5. macrumors member

Jun 9, 2010
  6. macrumors 601

Oct 5, 2003
    Dark Castle
    As a bare phone I find it to be slippery and with the bumper it is a different thing. I takes some time to get use to the outer edge of the bumper but it feels more secure and less uncomfortable.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2010
    It is great to hold, but odd when you realize that there is glass on both ends of the phone or even better, a considerable amount of the phone has glass.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2010
  9. macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Not uncomfortable here at all... guess it is what you are used to
    I agree with others, if it digs in to your hand, ease up some... too tight
  10. macrumors 68030

Apr 15, 2010
    I did prefer the curved back to the flat back of the older 3G/3GS. It felt smoother when holding it in your hand, particularly when playing a game or in landscape mode. But I do like how it sits flat on my car center console, desk, etc. Its different but not uncomfortable.
  11. macrumors 601

Aug 31, 2009
    in a New York State of mind
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Same here. When I first got mine it seemed really slippery. I didn't want to cover it up with a case so I got the bumper as a compromise. The bumper took a little getting used to but I couldn't be happier with it now.
  12. macrumors 65816

Jul 6, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Exactly for me too
  13. macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2010
    I find it very uncomfortable.

I find the edges shrill, and find they cut into my hands.

It's feels much nicer with a bumper, shame it looks like **** with it on.

Still, totally agree, very uncomfortable.
  14. thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 25, 2010
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. The 3G my wife has feels so much better in my hand, though looks wise it looms like a bloated toy in comparison.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2010
    Perfectly comfortable for me. And I kinda like its edges, they make it easier for me to hold on to it.:)
  16. macrumors 68020

John T

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh dear! Why, oh why do some people seem to delight about complaining about everything? If you buy a pair of shoes and they are uncomfortable because they don't fit properly, you take 'em back!

If your iPhone is hurting you, take it back and get a different one! - And stop moaning!! ;)
  17. macrumors 68000

steve knight

Jan 28, 2009
    I like the 3gs better. the bumper does help. trying to find more protection but that's rounded. hope the silicone case I ordered is better.
  18. macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    It would be neat if a case manufacturer included a hard gel sloping back that went on with adhesive like the Gelaskins.
  19. macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Oh dear! why can't people accept that the new iphone isn't perfect. If you don't like these threads then don't read them! And stop moaning!!
  20. thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 25, 2010
    Actually...for the first time in 3 years (has it been 3 years since the first iPhone?) I've thought about maybe returning the iPhone and looking for something else buri really like the OS plus I have a ton of apps that I like and paid for and there isn't anything out there that seems to be better overall.
  21. macrumors regular

Robby C

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm with you OP, I was using my friend's iPhone the other day and was a bit surprised to see how it felt in my hand. I'm thinking a case will definitely fix that for me, but who knows?

I agree though, it is a little "Rough Around the Edges" (reference for you Dane Cook fans out there).
  22. macrumors G5

Aug 17, 2007
  23. macrumors 68020

Oct 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree with the others. Holding it is not a problem, and, in fact, much more comfortable for me than my old 3G.
  24. macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    I do...the 3G/3GS were infinitely more comfortable to hold. The stainless steel has a tendency to dig into my skin, glass can be slippery and its overall just not 'organic' to hold like its predecessor
  25. macrumors member

Jun 20, 2010
    Much better than before. Gave my 3GS to my mother in law, held it the other day. Ip4 is much nicer to hold smoother feeling the poor 3GS felt bulky and outdated the plastic back now felt cheap. Love my naked ip4 and how it feels.

I guess it's personal opinion but if I felt like my phone was digging into my skin, I wouldn't keep it just to be like look at my ip4, I am so cool, friend: can I see it. No I don't like holding it it hurts my hand. Que tears.