Anyone else get a Developer Transition Kit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsw, Jun 6, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mine has been ordered. I for one am excited about the Intel news and look forward to some cool new products....

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No, I'm a non paying member of ADC. Are you a member that will be receiving the $999 Pentium along with your kit? If so that would put you at the vanguard of the transition. Thanks for your willing to assist in this awesome project.

3. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes. It's been years since I've been on the bleeding edge (long enough to forget how much that can hurt), so I figured "what the heck" and ordered one. I was going to get a 17" PB, but I don't see that happening soon, so I went with the Dev kit.

Of course, I'll let everyone know how it works out (within the fairly restrictive bounds of the agreement Apple presents before the purchase).

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

So what hardware exactly do you get? Is it like a Macmini with an intel chip?

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

They don't say. Since it's only US$999, my guess is that you get an Intel CPU and (at Apple's prices) a 32MB stick of RAM in a plastic baggie, along with double-sided tape to use to stick it to your monitor while you program using XCode 2.1, which is free.

Whenever it arrives, I'll let you know. Hopefully, at least, it'll be one of those zip-lock baggies, not the cheap ones.

6. sk8erboy macrumors regular

and that is?? :eek:

7. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

??

Not sure what you mean. I don't know what the new Macs will be like, but I look forward to them, and to being more able to compete head-to-head with Windows.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Wait wait wait. You just spent $999 and have no clue what-so-ever about what you're getting? Is it a computer like a G5, a laptop, just inards to put into an existing computer? WHAT IS IT? :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Like I said, it's been a while since I've taken a leap. I'll take one for the team and let you know. I'm guessing it looks like an ugly low-end PC.

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I hate to say it, but maybe this is a better move for apple. But will we all be on the forums going - Well on my first partition I have Tiger and on my second Windows XP ????

11. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Those of us (not me) who use Virtual PC might do just that.

If it is possible to install Windows on the same hardware as OS X (or, to the same end, to install some wicked-fast version of VPC), I don't see that as a bad thing for Mac sales.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most likely a Intel board in a PowerMac case.

Just watch it'll probably be a G4 MDD case... :eek:

13. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

that would be too cool, if if were the MDD case.

14. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I'm dying to know what the specs are on these developer machines!

15. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Thank god someone still has faith in Apple :) ......... reading these forums for the last hour has given me a headache.....too many "experts" and emotionaly hysterical people. :rolleyes:

16. bidge macrumors 6502

It is A 3.6Ghz P4 in a current G5 PowerMac case. It also has to be given back to apple at the end of 2006. I was going to buy one, but not if I had to give it back :(

I also want to know more about the specs of the machine. I'm sure we'll hear about them when some developers start getting them.

17. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I know what you mean!

I still have faith - and I'm going to be keeping my iBook for the duration of the transition. I've unfortunately got to purchase a Windows computer however as I'm unwilling to upgrade my desktop to a new powermac after this announcement. Still, Ill ride the rapids, and hop back on in a couple of years.

18. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

you have to give it back??? do you get your money back as well? :)

19. bidge macrumors 6502

No you won't get your money back. You get the machine for a year and a half and get to make sure your app works.

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

21. bidge macrumors 6502

If it means that you know your app will work with the new Intel Macs the day they come out and you make your living off making the application then I wouldn't agree.

If you want one to have a play with to see what it's going to be like, then I would agree with you.

22. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

As a business expense goes, $999.00 to get an application (or multiple applications) converted and verified seems very reasonable. Think of it as a lease that helps you MAKE money as a developer. As a non-developer, sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense except as a novelty.

I'm thinking about the $40,000.00 that folks will spend just on the xerox and shipping costs of a legal filing; conference call bills that are several times this systems lease cost, and it seems to me that $999 is a very small cost of entry to again - help a developer MAKE money.

23. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Bidge, as the leases are limited to certain developers, I assume you must be in that group to have the choice. Does it not seem worth it to you to verify your applications? Or just not worth it at this point in time?

24. bidge macrumors 6502

Well, I am actually a student, but do some work at an Apple Developer and so could get one if I wanted. To me it would not be worth it...