Anyone else get this "new iMac G5" Apple Store eNews email?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SteveC, Mar 25, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/storenews/2005/031505c/

Last night, I received this Apple Store eNews e-mail talking about, "The streamlined, all-new iMac G5." Weird? It doesn't list any specs, and the store still displays the 1.6 and 1.8 Rev A models.

Was this possibly a slip by someone in the Apple eNews email department? Was this supposed to go out a week or two from now?

It's weird that they'd send an email update about an "all-new iMac G5" when the only model on the site is the Rev A, and another weird thing is that they sent the e-mail on Thursday the 24th (last night) and the apple.com link to the news says "031505c" (March 15th, '05?)

Here's a copy of the e-mail and a link to the update online:

Subject: Apple Store eNews: March 24, 2005
    Date: Thu, March 24, 2005 8:19 pm

Apple Store eNews: March 21, 2005

http://www.apple.com/storenews/2005/031505c/

-------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Where's the computer?
    The streamlined, all-new iMac G5 offers the performance of a PowerPC G5 processor in
    an easy-to-use, all-in-one design--and at a starting price of just $1299. About 2
    inches thin,(1) iMac G5 integrates the entire computer, including a G5-based logic
    board, slot-loading optical drive, hard disk, speakers, and even the power supply,
    into a body not much bigger than the 17- or 20-inch widescreen flat-panel display.
    All models are readily available and come with a great collection of software,
    including iLife '05 for making movies and music and managing your tunes and photos.

Best of all, when you order online or over the phone at 1-800-MY-APPLE, you can
    configure your system just the way you want it--with up to 2GB of RAM, an AirPort
    Extreme Card, and more.(2) You can even get a Bluetooth module built in and an Apple
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for an uncluttered desktop. If you have any questions
    about what's best for you, our Mac experts are available with answers when you call
    1-800-MY-APPLE. And as always, you'll get free ground shipping on any iMac G5 order.

Order iMac G5 (link)

2. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

I got that same email. I don't think it means anything. Apple has a tendency of calling things "new" months and months after they've been out.

3. Roz macrumors newbie

I got the same email last week. I already deleted it but it was around the 15th I think.

4. vieoray macrumors regular

yep, i got it too. it caught my eye for a second, but i dont really think it means anything other than apple trying to sell you an iMac.

5. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

To be honest, this is the first time I've noticed a page with the hardware accessories as the primary side piece. While Apple is still a big software company, isn't it interesting to see them showcasing all the hardware before their own stuff?

6. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

they could be sending it out now to stir interest and clear inventory prior to the introduction of the new models...

7. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Ya I got it too but after I checked the specs and they were the same I remembered...O ya the Rev C powerbooks were the all new powerbooks still until Feb 1st

8. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

i was very excited.... almost ordered one. than I realized that I need expandability. Yay powermac. (got mine today)

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

10. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I almost bought an iMac too (on monday) instead of my Mac mini. Then I remembered they're about to be updated and they cost a lot more than the Mac mini. Yay USB hubs! (expandability) ;)

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't remember getting this message. Just lucky that we have this forum to keep us informed.

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Apple calls things new until just before they're ready to announce actually new models, or they've announced two other product line revisions separate from the one in question.

For example, Apple updates the iBooks in January (this is just a hypothetical example), and plans to update them in September. They'll say "new" until about July, unless Apple updates both the PowerBooks and eMacs (or PowerMacs and iMacs, or Mac mini and PowerBooks, etc.) in between.