anyone else good at SC, bad at war 3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by QCassidy352, May 13, 2003.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I was really kick@$$ at starcraft, but I just can't seem to get the hang of war 3. :(

So I'm curious what you guys think are the differences in strategy between the 2 games that might make the transition hard, even for a good SC player.

It's really frustrating to get my tail kicked all the time when I used to be so dominant! :D

2. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

4. marcsiry macrumors member

Cool, when are you guys on Bnet playing WarIII? ;-)

I like them both, but I can see how SC lends itself more to massive attacks by single unit types, where WCIII rewards mixed forces that are more difficult to assemble and control. Then there's the heroes- they can turn the tide singlehandedly if used well, or waste your time and money if used poorly.

Is there a channel for MacRumors Bnet players? I only play online vs. my friends because I don't want to deal with the mainiacs on Bnet, but I would be into playing with fellow MR members...at least I know you have SOME level of decency!

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

SC

I own at starcraft, and suck at warcraft. My favorite strat. in regular is...

Hydras, with defilers, and guardians. Cant stop it. Defilers do plague and cloak men with the protection. It kicks ass.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yes! I suck anus at WCIII but I only gave it about 3 weeks of gameplay until I went back to SC. I kick major arse at SC. I have been playing since '98. I'm -black-death- on bnet btw. :)

7. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I am the complete opposite at you guys, but it may be becuase I got into starcraft late. I sucked bigtime online at SCBW, I could kill the computers with ease, but got my butt rocked online.

I may not be that good at warcraft, but I believe I am better at WCIII than SCBW. I think the basic difference is starcraft had more buildings for different unigs, which lent itself to teching, and turtling ones self in. Warcraft 3 is less bass orientated and more unit diversification. They are trying to balance it so simply massing one type of unit wont work. There is also a lot more micromanagement required for WCIII (IMO) with the many spellcasters and especially with the heroes.

8. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Actually, im pretty good at w3. I was ok atSW, beat it a load of times but i never played online cos it sucked, people always either rushed or used the exact same strategy over and over. War3 is much more versatile, it has some isses but its generally very balanced and their gonna mix it up with the frozen throne which is gonna be excellent (mmm nuetral heroes)....

9. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

neutral heros?? ooh, tell me more!

I don't know of MR bnet channel, but it would be cool if there was one. :D

10. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

They are pretty cool, I played some of the beta (friend let me borrow his key for the asia server) You can pick a hero that has abilities your particular race's hero doesn't have. I havent played in a while, and now there are 5 neutral ones. I think there is more info online at blizzard.com and at battle.net/forums under the war3 beta section

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am rubbish at StarCraft, but good at WarCraft3, I had a win percentage of 70%. But now I play Command and Conquer Generals since I think it is better than Warcraft 3. Although I only win 52% of the time C&C.

12. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I was good at SC and didnt like Warcraft at all.. it does not even display good in my 32MB TNT2.. :(
    by the way, I missed the days of Command n Conquer 1 or 2.. those were the games we played till the mornings with 640*480 resolution at max.. nowadays games require more and more system resource to be better.. at those days games had spirits rather than latest chipset support! I really miss those days...

13. jadariv macrumors regular

The original Warcraft was one of the first computer games i ever purchased and subsequently played over a modem. Warcraft 2 followed and then C&C and Starcraft. Loved them all.

Warcraft 3. Just don't know what to make of it. Bought it when it first came out and i can count on two hands the amount of times i have played it. Something is just not right with the game. I like the hero aspect, but it just seems soulless like blizzard has started to lose their touch or something.

14. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

same here, I just dont think I have the time like I used to get the game down, like I did with SC, also there are alot of variables to concider in WIII....

15. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

I dont know, its one hell of a game if you ask me... Thought the other warcrafts were excellent, W3 is much like apple, very innovative. i dont really see how it could have been made much better....

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I know what you mean, me and my friends used to stay up til 3am playing the original c&c, there haven't really been any games since that made me want to do that. I have all the c&c games and in many ways the first one was the best.

17. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i haven't played it much, and i've played it multiplayer even less. But i do enjoy it and i'd like to get back to playing it. But i've never been all that great at WC or SC. I'm better at Quake3 and the like but i really enjoy anything that comes from Blizzard. I friend of mine (don't know him too well) used to be ranked like 17th in the world at SC. He's insane. Although he doesn't have a job and sits at home and plays video games all day. But the rest of my friends are really good at SC themselves but there were a few times when it would be 5 of them against this kid and he would wipe the floor with all of them. It's awesome to see, horrible to play! :D

18. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Myself and at least 3 other guys I know have the same problem. We love SC but pretty much suck at W3. We have SC LAN games at least 3 times a week + with more people. We tried W3 but we never got the hang of it and usually ended getting our asses kicked by 8 year olds. In SC we haul ass. I think it's cuz of the overall strat involved in SC compared to W3. In SC it's massive fleets of ships or armies of ground which can pretty easily get wasted nomatter how big it is. In W3 u get these heroes which can destroy all and small armies. Needless to say, i dropped W3 and went back to my SC ways.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

do you think that someone at a school, with a firewall would have a problem playing warcraft online?

dumb question, i know

i have much free time now and it'd seem like a good time to take advantage of the fast connection for some cool games...

word

20. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

You should be able to play but just not host games. However, it all depends on the firewall. I have a firewall through my router at home and that pretty much gives me no chance of hosting games. In other words, just try it and see what happens.