Anyone else hate the cutsey crap?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by smc333, May 29, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

On iOS too, but mostly on Lion?

Address book and iCal look like crap. I don't want a faux reality look, I want a clean interface to do my work. I especially don't like these cutsey looks of those apps mixing in with a clean look for the rest of the OS (Mail, Safari, etc), has Apple lost all sense of design aesthetics with this?

Unified is the key, unlike what they're now doing in iOS too (iMovie for the iPhone went to hell after the last update).

2. Bear, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

macrumors G3

I don't look the look of Mail as shown in the Lion preview ON Apple's website.

Hopefully you will be able to switch views. I looked yesterday and couldn't find anything on whether or not that's possible.

3. macrumors member

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere you can change the look of addressbook to a 'classic' look

4. celticpride678

I guess you didn't look hard enough.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors regular

JKK photography

This stuff is called "chrome."

It's the emulation of real-world things or concepts in a computing environment. I think.

And yes, I don't care for it much. However, if it does indeed work better, then it's alright with me.

Don't automatically assume that change is bad. And stuff.

6. macrumors G3

I meant I was looking at the preview on Apple's website. Sorry to be not clear about it.

7. macrumors regular

Nah, Chrome is the window borders / UI controls etc. What you're talking about is called skeumorphic UI. And I hate it.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

The movement to an iOS-ey interface has made me think about scooping up a monster deal from HP.

9. macrumors 6502

FroMann

Looks fine to me, heck I actually like it more.

10. macrumors member

kRobbin

Pretty ironic that Apple call their interface element Chrome considering the growing rift with Google.

I'm starting to wonder if the retro look of Apple elements hasn't jumped the shark. It was cool for while but maybe it's time for a cleaner more modern look.

11. macrumors 603

"Chrome" is a generic UI term.

12. macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple is pandering to the kids and old people. Making the union of iOS and OS X the beginning of the end of the Mac OS.

It's now all about having the most apps, cutesy feminine white devices, and maintaining Apples passion for money.

13. macrumors 68030

baryon

I don't agree. The GUI is "cutesy" compared to the command line. Windows XP is "cutesy" compared to Windows 98. The GUI is becoming more tangible and less "machine-like". As technology progresses, they are able to make GUIs that don't just look like grey rectangles with grey rectangular buttons, but actual objects. It makes things more interesting and less boring maybe.

If you now have many windows open, you can tell which is which instantly just by the shape and color. You don't even need to look at the content. Before all windows looked identical, except for their size and content.

14. macrumors 68000

Yes, this is it. It may be a bit over-the-top now, but it will get refined and toned down just like Aqua was over-the-top in 10.0-10.2.

15. macrumors regular

"Chrome" is a generic UI term, typically referring to window borders etc.. It's used by a lot of companies and users. "Google Chrome" is so called because it minimise the amount of chrome, and thus maximises usable space.

16. slb
    macrumors 6502

Ah, another MacRumors troll. Making money is evil!

Apple is simply making apps that don't look like sterile hospital rooms. Look at a screenshot of an early Lion developer preview compared to the latest one, and latter is the one that pops. However, there are always the crotchety grumps who hate everything that changes and will proclaim their hatred for it with every single OS X release. If they had their way, we'd still be using System 7 at 640x480 resolution with 256 colors because gradients and shadows are "cutesy feminine".

17. macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

lets not get carried away.

Lion is nearly no different in terms of UI compared to SL.

There are different more simplistic and minimalist scroll bars.
    There is an updated calendar and mail app, they function a little differently.
    Mission control works nearly exactly the same as expose does, just rearranges windows in a different way, and combines spaces. Please tell me what is so cutsy.

From a quick look through the OS, you can barely tell it different than SL. In all honesty.

18. macrumors 603

iCal and Address Book.

19. Guest

Alaerian

None of it looks "cutesy" to me. I have no idea where you got that idea.

20. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This was extensively blogged about, can't find the link. Even the notes have a simulated tear-off.

21. macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Try some Android phones... You might change your mind.

22. macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

old iCal
    [​IMG]

New iCal
    [​IMG]

honestly not much difference.

23. macrumors 65816

macrem

I think the faux leather look is very cheesy. Is that a joke?

24. macrumors 68030

It's no joke. You get used to it. DP2 was bad, they tamed it in DP3 :D

25. macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

But besides a small reskin, the thing is the exact same. It's like applying a theme to your browser that changes it just slightly. It's not like everything is different. Lion from my experience is about 95% the same as SL.