Anyone else have 10.2.5 problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by movabi, Apr 27, 2003.

1. movabi macrumors member

I am having a hell of a time with upgrading to 10.2.5. I get a lot of freezing and a cryptic "you need to restart your computer" in 5 languages. What could cause the whole system to sieze up? This is my first real problem with Jag. I generally run a lot of apps at one time with no probs. Now I'm lucky running one stable. Any thoughts... I'm using some haxies by unsanity... fruitmenu... x sounds... windowshade... and cleardock oh, and tinkertool. All of which have ran fine in the past and are the latest builds. I'm gonna disable the haxies, but was wondering if any other probs exist that go beyond haxies.

thanks

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no problems here... the 5 language restart message is the new kernel panic style... good that it's your first time seeing it!

may want to repair permissions (using disk utility)... and then disabling the haxies...

beyond that, i'm not sure.

3. JohnQ macrumors newbie

Article at Macfixit.com addresses this issue.

I have had several Kernel Panics since the 10.2.5 upgrade.

I have seen suggestions that updating using the Combo updater corrects this. I just applied it and am waiting to see if it solves my problems.

Good luck!

John

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I havent had any kernal panics, but a lot of apps have been crashing. Safari does it a good deal. TextEdit...pains in the ass

5. movabi thread starter macrumors member

update...

well, I got one volume of 10.2.5 working properly (i hope). I just removed all system files pertaining to every haxie. Then I used the jag installer disk and repaired the privliges and also fix a directory problem. Restarted... ran cocktail to run some cron scripts and to remove caches. Now my remote volume is another matter. oh well, at least one is working.:)

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I recommend doing a archive and install with every system update. It is the best way to prevent potential system problems. After installing 10.2.3 I noticed that the system was having problems and slowdowns so I did a reinstall. That fixed everything. After the 10.2.4 I noticed problems again and the reinstall fixed things. So when 10.2.5 came out I just automatically did the reinstall before the upgrade. This saved me having to download the updater twice.

I would be surprised if you couldn't run all your system haxies after doing the reinstall and update.

7. movabi thread starter macrumors member

did a clean install

I did do a clean install... actually it was a fresh install on a newly formated volume. Then I used software udate prefpane to udate to 10.2.5. Then I installed the haxies after I restarted. So i guess that's why I'm so perplexed. Kernel Panics are quite unnerving especially when you're working on a project. Any particular reason why they happen? I'm scared to load anything new for fear of reprecussions. Never happened to me before 10.2.4.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: did a clean install

Then the most likely problem is that 10.2.5 has broken one or more of your haxies. If you have to have a dependable system do not ever run system haxies.

9. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Any program that adds system functionality or option or changes the way the system looks or works.