Anyone else have a Boxer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jim., Mar 10, 2005.

1. jim. macrumors 6502

Forgive me, I am stuck at home today watching the plumbers tear up my yard to replace my supply line.

I grew up with a Boxer as a child so I am accustomed to their "eccentricities." My wife and I have a 5 month old hyper-social boxer puppy now. He does some of the most goofy things. When he wags his tail it is more like his entire lower 50% is quaking. It is really funny when you make him sit while in this state.

He also seems to have the ability to fold his entire body in half while dancing, I think this is referred to as the "kidney bean" amongst boxer owners. He also likes to open drawers and take items out of them, then close the drawer.

Anyone else see neat quirks with their Boxer (or other type of dog even)?

Jim

Mods: I am guessing this is the right place for this thread. I don't see anything with pets aside from pictures.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've known a couple boxers, but I don't have one myself. They're great dogs though, very affectionate and are beautiful dogs as well. A woman I work with just had to put her boxer down last friday, it was very sad.

As far as quirks go, my lab mix mutt has the same problem with sitting while wagging his tail. When he's like that and we make him sit it's more like his ass is hovering about an inch above the ground so the tail has room to wag. It's highly amusing to see. He's also quite adventurous eater. He loves fruits and vegetables (in addition to everything else) and will just about jump you for a strawberry or banana or some salad greens. About the only things I've found that he won't eat are garlic and limes. :D

3. goodwill macrumors regular

I dont have one, but my neighbor does and it is a white boxer named belle and she is ridiculously adoreable. My family has always had golden retrievers, weimererners or boston terriors, but I have started a secret infatuation for boxers and french mastifs

4. jim. thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, that is funny. Same is true for Gatsby. He'll actually do anything for a cube of ice. Doesn't want dinner, but that ice.... He was really interested one night when I was attempting to make sushi for my wife. I gave him some wasabi and he hasn't tried to get at my cooking since.

OT: I actually have a cat that loves beer. Whenever we have friends over they have to keep up with their beer bottles, or she'll try to drink out of them. The second you open a beer she comes running and jumps on your lap.

goodwill: Boxers and Mastiffs are actually very similar breeds. I think it is only a small difference between them, and I think they also act very similarly just the Mastif gets much larger and the Boxer is more prone to pranks. They happily coexist as if they were from the same litter, it is very neat.

Jim

5. mpw Guest

We had a cat at my parents home that one New Year Eve while we were setting up to have people round we found was jumping up to each of the bowls of olives we'd set out around the house and licking the brine off them. What to do at 8pm New Years when you've got people coming round in 5mins. leave the olives out and keep schtum or throw them away when you've got nothing else????

Another time we were sitting round in the back garden when our cat hopped over the wall from next door with a couple of rashers of bacon in his mouth. It was great to watch him struggle acroos the garden home with his loot 'cause he kept stepping on the bacon hanging from his mouth and falling on to his greedy face, getting up and doing the same thing every couple of steps.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dunno about you guys, but I HATE boxers, and would gladly shoot one if one decides to jump on me and look at me like she wants me dead. Nope, you will die LONG before I hit the dust, miss.

Really, my only experience with Boxers is with my aunt/uncle's brood of four (!) of them. And they are wild, and very unrestrained. I hate them.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You'd better watch your back with talk like that. According to this story, pets have had enough and are now firing back.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

For some reason this reminded me of the time when my wife let our cat back in the house, after he'd been outside doing whatever it is he does outside all day. He was trying to meow at her (he's a pretty vocal cat) but she noticed that it was a sort-of muffled meow. She got down on her knees to get a closer look and see if something was wrong, and that's when she realized that he had a still-alive field mouse in his mouth. ;)

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I used to have a rare michaelus tysonii, but he got away from me one day and I haven't seen him since, except on TV and tabloid newspapers. Just as well he's gone... he was always a biter. :)

10. jim. thread starter macrumors 6502

Are they really young? My puppy gets on my nerves constantly because of how nuts he is, even with constant training. I think it takes a Boxer around 2 years to start to calm down and be a docile dog.

Are they purebred? Sometimes a mix of breed causes personality differences.

Jim

11. rogerw macrumors 6502

12. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Boxers are the greatest dogs of all time! I grew up with one as a pet (Budkus was his name), and now I'm getting ready to purchase my son one. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them at all. The most loyal and friendly dogs I've ever seen. And the cool thing is that they look mean, but unless provoked, wouldnt hurt anyone. Except for...

...Budkus used to snatch black birds right out of the air! They would fly down into the back yard to eat his food out of the dish, and after ignoring them for some time, he would pounce and as they flew away (no more than about three feet off the ground) he would either bat them or catch them right in his mouth. Sweet!

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Absolutely! Two boxers here. Best dogs in the world as far as I'm concerned. Mine are super sweet, sociable, loyal, and the funnest dogs I've ever been around.

Here is Oliver, at just over 1 yrs old:

[​IMG]

and Missy, who is seven:

[​IMG]

Forgive the shots, I took them with my phone.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Our cat (who sadly came up missing earlier this week) made a habit of bringing in live critters and letting them go inside when we wern't looking. One day I was sitting at my desk when I heard a bird squwaking, and the noise was getting louder. Not too uncommon, since our place was in the middle of a bird sanctuary, but it kept coming and as I looked down I saw our cat run in with a live shrieking bird in her mouth which she proceeded to release in our bathroom. Poor bird got blood all over our bathroom until my wife could toss a towel over it as I wrangled the cat out of the room. We managed to clean that one up and after an hour in a shoebox it was ready to go again with nothing worse than some scratches above it's eye. A couple mice (and a rat) have been less lucky, I've had to trap a couple that she brought in and kept as pets.

15. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the boxers i have known have been rather mellow, even aloof

many puppies, no matter the breed, are a little hyper to say the least

17. Catfish macrumors newbie

Dane in the house

My girlfriend loves boxers, her family has always had them. I have an 8 month Great Dane puppy and I don't htink I could ever have any other breed. He is like a big clown (BIG being the operative word) and a real treat to live with. Usually. ;)

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

My brother's girlfriend has a great dane who is the same age as my boxer Oliver. He's such a great dog; if there was one other breed I would ever consider, it would be a great dane. They need a ton of space though!

19. rogerw macrumors 6502

Ive had a couple of great danes. dont especially need a lot of space for them as long as they physically fit in your house and they can turn round. only thing is that they do leave enormous piles of s**t around and that does need to be kept under control (think cow pats). ****ing hell its all coming back now (the memories that is). they were fairly lazy stupid dogs.... a bit like their owner, soft as anything, unlike their tails!

20. jim. thread starter macrumors 6502

Mike those are some gorgeous dogs. I can't wait until the puppy starts to calm down and just relax. Gatsby looks a lot like Missy, only we didn't get his ears cropped. Are your dogs fawn or do they have brindle?

Jim

21. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

my neighbors (spelled right?) a boxer, and his name is Cooper. He is a really beautiful dog, but really hyper. The biggest thing that i have noticed about him is that he always likes to be touching, or laying down, by someone or just at their feet.

22. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

A trucker who works at my dads farm has a Bloodhound. He had to take the extra seat out of his truck in order to have enough room for the dog to move around in the semi he drives.

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

When I was a kid, my buddy had a boxer. We used to let her pull us around on our bikes. :)

I have a lab now, friendliest dog I know. 13 years old, and still loves kids.