Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GetGo, Jul 1, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

I use my ibook every night so when I'm done for the night I close the cover to put it to sleep. Frequently I open the ibook to resume and it either doesn't come on or I get a message to restart the system. Is anyone else having this problem? Some times I have to reboot 2 times to get it going again. This ibook is less then 2 years old. I would like to know your thoughts.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you mean the iBook/G4 in your sig? If so, it can't even be *one* year old, huh? Def. should not do that. :( I've had my iBook/G4/800 for about 6 mos now and I have had exactly one failure to wake up, which occurred because of upgrading a driver and ignoring the admonition to reboot. So I cound that one as my fault.

What do you have installed on it? Anything like drivers, antivirus software, OS modifications (Unsanity type stuff), and/or, what is running on your system typically when you put it to sleep?

Also try the standard stuff like repairing permissions, but this sounds like some kind of s/w compatibility issue....

3. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have too much on this. I have 4 gig of mp3s, Sticky Brain, Office 2004, Synergy, LaunchBar, I have about 6 gig of space left on my HD.
    Oh yes the ibook in my signature. Should I call for support and ask about it?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are Launchbar, Synergy, or StickyBrain things you can turn off? Those seem like possible candidates. It is possible even that there's nothing wrong with the software, but that a file is corrupt causing it not to crash the prog itself but to crash your computer during sleep/wake.

The other standard list items to make sure you've done:

- repair permissions (using disk utility)
    - run the cron tasks -- esp since most ppl's laptops aren't on at the time cron tries run them (either leave it on all night, google for the command line, or download MacJanitor.

I don't think the 4 gigs of music has anything to do with anything...I have about 14 gigs and it don't make no never mind. ;) And 6GB of free space should be at least 10% of your HD even if you have a 60GB'er....

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

also make sure you don't have sidetrack running that will cause that problem too occur as well

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, this is definitely a possibility, although it is possible to use sidetrack and not have this issue. I have had sidetrack on for most of the time I've had my iBook and I use sleep/wake extensively (maybe 5-7 times a day, or more). The one crash I had was because of sidetrack, but only bc I did not reboot after I installed the 0.9 beta. Since then I have slept/woke with the latest sidetrack a good ten times without trouble.

7. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have sidetrack. What is sidetrack should I have it?

8. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

Well I called Apple support today to ask about this problem. They said it could be something with my startup programs so I disabled them. I will see if this corrects the problem and then turn them back on one at a time.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

After you close the iBook do you unplug any USB/Firewired devices or disconnect it from a network? That used to be a sure fire way to get my PowerMac to kernel panic.

10. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

I am not unpluggong anything when I close the ibook. But thanks for the reply.

11. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

I love sidetrack. It makes it possible to scroll with your trackpad, like run your finger along the side of the trackpad and it will scroll the document you are looking at. http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

12. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

Just installed SideTrack this is a very nice little utility. This makes reading web pages much easier. Thanks for the info guys....

13. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

my peecee laptop with synaptics touchpad has a little dedicated bar along the right side seperated from the regular touchpad for this feature.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, Apple actually uses the same company for trackpads but doesn't activate this feature in software and doesn't have the stripes put on the trackpad. That's why its so easy for Sidetrack to implement the functionality.