Anyone else having a bad week?

Discussion in 'Community' started by atszyman, Jul 28, 2005.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Man when it rains it pours.

Monday was good, work went well I got a 15 page paper back from my professor that only needed general grammar fixes (rather than a complete rework), and new toys were due to arrive later in the week. I did find a bug in my program for the project that evening but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

On Tuesday, about an hour before I was ready to leave work I got a call from my wife telling me that our daughter (nearly 9 months old now) is running a 102 degree fever and I have to run and pick her up from day-care and take her to the doctor. It turned out to only be an ear infection, her first, and everything seemed to go fine, fever broke early, the night was rough but hey, she's sick.

Wednesday I stayed home with our daughter for the morning (can't send her to day-care until the fever has been gone 24-hours) and my wife took the afternoon. She was feeling much better and things were looking up. Then I went to work. After finding that one of the products I'm working on has issues with one of our lab computers, I got a call from my wife telling me that the freezer portion of our refrigerator has stopped freezing things. Sure enough I go home and our refrigerator has died, and of course our daughter's antibiotics are supposed to be refrigerated.

This morning, figuring it can't get much worse, I gather my stuff and head to the garage when something whips past my head. My first thought is a bird flew into the garage. Nope, it's a bat, an ***** rodent with wings. I like bats around streetlights when they are more than 4' above my head, in my garage where it's ceiling limited I'm not so keen on them. Especially since they seem to carry rabies fairly often, although that seems like a fitting end to this week, sitting the hospital getting rabies shots....

Now I'm wondering where the rest of the week will head.

Thanks, I just needed to vent.

Anyone else having a "fun" week?

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Wow, thanks for making me feel beeter. :)

Sorry about the bad week ... at least your daughter is curable and you didn't get bit? :confused: That's all i got. :(

It sound like you deal with stress well; it's good that you vent here and not when you in the midst of the situation(s).

9 months eh? Only 17 years and 3 months to go! :p

peace | neut

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've had to stay home to clean house for some work people coming.
    We also have this seminar we have to teach for 3 days. My pair teacher is a real dimwit; even the simplest task is just too difficult for her. "Ummmmm, I don't think I get it." Then she interrupts me when I'm explaining things to the kids. On top of that she was late today :rolleyes:
    I'm flying back to Boston next Friday, but I'm not a big fan of flying. Especially 12+ hours in an airplane.
    I also found out that I should have my last wisdom tooth pulled right after coming back from Boston ... like, 4 days before going to work. It's partially in my jaw bone, so the surgeon was talking about chiseling and swelling afterwards.

*sigh* It's more like "having a bad MONTH"

I'm just going to have to face it all, head-on

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I hope she's okay. Ear infections can be really painful. Is she okay now?

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sorry to hear about your week, atszyman. Makes mine seem not so bad, for sure. Of course, any week back to work after a week of vacation qualifies as bad, but at least none of my kids have been sick (*knocks on wood*).

Hopefully your daughter is doing better - and you're getting some sleep now.

6. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

She's fine, she was active and happy pretty much all day yesterday. She never really acted like she was in much pain, for awhile when the fever was there she was not quite herself, you could see a small spark that she wanted to be herself but the fever was taking it's toll.

Sorry to hear about your month. My wife gets her last to wisdom teeth pulled later this month.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Just needed to vent a bit and calm down. Just need to go home this evening and if my little friend is still alive in the garage I'll give animal control a call to let them handle the little critter. Then the repair guy tomorrow. At least once I hand in my paper I'm done with classes for the next three weeks, should be able to wind down a bit and get some things done.

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I had a good day yesterday... I pressure tested the pipes in my new bathroom (no leaks!), I set the tube and the drain and I started hanging denshield. I was over at the house till midnight though and by the time I got back to the apartment it was late.. I hadn't eaten and I was filthy. I eventually got to bed around 2am and had nightmares all night.

This wicked one about getting caught in a convienance-mart and a madman coming in a killing people right before he let them go / tried to escape.

Guh... then I had dream about my boss giving me **** for being late to work.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your week... but I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing okay. Do you have anything cool planned for the weekend (tomorrow is Friday you know?)!

8. oreomac macrumors member

Sorry to hear you are having a bad week, I hope this week gets better for you.

Mine bad week has turned in to nearly a bad month. I arrived back from vacation, my suitcase never left the airport & then the airline kept either not putting it on a flight or sent it to the wrong airport (& they told me this!) it then was delivered 3 hours later than it should of been. I had to lose a days money cause I cancel work for the day & I work for an agency, so I can fit work in around university classes. when I did get the case back there was damaged items which the insurance company are telling me they do not cover, & will only pay for my case, but by the time I've paid the excess I don't really get anything. Everyone I spoke to from the company has been rude to me as well.

My iPod has stopped working as well as my keyboard.

I've got sciatic again & now this week I've got a virus, so I've missed 4 weeks of placement, which I'm going to have to make up, at some point.

I've also failed a class at university, but I've got a chance to resubmit. It was a large project I've got to resubmit. At the same time I've got to revise for an exam & submit 3000 word assignment.

I think that's about it.

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Well yesterday I had a patient almost die because his parents were afriad to give permission to have their son's appendix removed when they were ruptured. I had to have two other doctors sign off to override the parents' decision.

After work when I went out to my car the all-in-one key/keyless entry remote;s battery died, which means you cannot turn on the car for some reason it says on the LCD- "LOW KEY BATTERY". So I went back to my office to get the non remote key. I went back to my car- stuck the key in the door and the car alarm goes off. I wait for it to turn off and I stick the key in the ingnition. I try to start the car and it says "ENGINE DISABLED PRESS REMOTE OR USE KEY CODE". So I look in the manual read about all the security feautures of the car and I find out I have to get out of the car, and enter in this code by locking my car a certain number of times, and then unlocking it a certain number of times, and then locking a few times again, and then unlocking it a few more times.

So that took about 30min while at the same time there is a massive thunderstorm over my head and its pouring. I never knew it was so hard to unlock a car! And if you ever want to steal a car, make sure its not a Land Rover.

10. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

You made me feel good about my week. Sorry to hear about your trials.

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

hey, at least you have the chance to save lives while others may not even get a chance to live their own.

and i don't at all feel sorry for you about your car ... you've got 3 expensive vehicles to choose from. you didnt' have to buy Range Rover. :) ... some people are forced to walk/bike in the rain. :( To be honest i'd probably just laugh at you locking and unlocking your door over and over. :p

sux about that kids parents though; an appendix rupture can be scary. :( did they happen to be giving a religious excuse for withholding medical help? i don't like a lot of western 'medicine', but i would have no problem letting a doctor help my kid in an emergency. :) hmmm, i guess i shouldn't laugh at doctors locked out of their own car. :eek:

peace | neut

12. toothpaste macrumors 6502

Sunday I was moving some furniture with my friend to a storage unit I have. As we were moving my sofa, I lost balance, slipped and twisted my ankle and broke my foot as I put my body weight on it. I only felt a sharp pain, while my friend heard my foot snap. In the ER I found out the bad news that my foot is broken and I will be out of commision for 4-6 weeks. So this week I haven't gone to work, doctors note, but next week and so on I have to go. My foot is purple on the broken side and blew up like a balloon. My foot looks like a sausage now :D , and it is throbbing mercilessly. I'm only bummed about all this as it is still summer and I can't do my usual things. Aside from that the rest from work is welcome.

13. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The family didn't want the kid's appendix out because a family member or friend had some sort of surgery a long time ago and didn't make it. I don't know what kind of surgery that was- who knows it could have been heart surgery or nuero surgery. They were from Africa, not african american, but actually from Africa, so their experience of medical care may not be very good. I was explaining to them that this was a rutine surgery, there are almost never complications, its laparoscopic so there is very little scaring, and if it goes untreated she could die. I eventuallly was able to have the surgery done because I got two other doectors to sign off. And it turned out the appendix was infected, which usually leads to death if untreated.

Who ever invented a key that won't unlock your car without setting the alarm off and cannot start your car without going through a lengthy disarming processes is an idiot. It would make the car impossible to steal without the key but to the person using the car it is a pain.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

At least it answers the age-old question

-- what do you get for the man who has everything?

Batteries

:D

15. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

Updates.

Refrigerator is fixed after ~$250, but hey, still cheaper than a new fridge.

Bat is gone, sat in the Jeep last night and poked it with a rake handle and it flew out of the garage.

Daughter is back to being a smart aleck (she gets that from me).

I found the bug in my hardware at work, it was my fault but I found a patch that should get the boards in enough working order to ship as preliminary hardware so some customers can start development.

Paper is turned in now I just have to wait for grades.

Guess the week isn't all bad, it should turn out to be a nice relaxing weekend.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

I had to fire a really sweet girl today.

My new Lacie Drive blew up on Wednesday.

I had to put a Dell in my house on Thursday.

Found out I have to have back surgery on Tuesday.

Average week for me.

17. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Haha, thats a good one. Two CR 2025 batteries always make a good gift.

My powerbook won't go to sleep which is frustrating.. My iPod doesn't work right-still. Lawn was deep when I mowed it because I didn't have time before and my lawn growes like crazy. Now I must rake up all the clippings . Only 2.5 acres of lawn. Not really a bad few days, just many annoying things.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i got into an argument today with another counselor (her brother is in my group) telling me and my co- counselors that were not doing a good job, that were yelling at the kid, (well if your brother listened and not have to be told 8 times to not climb the fence, we wouldn't "yell". She left her campers running around camp while she was yelling at us. It blew up and she got in trouble because if she had a problem she should have gone to a supervisor, and for leaving her campers :rolleyes:

19. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Yes.

Not only does this week mark the one-year anniversary of the day my wife divorced me (I didn't want her to go), but I got laid off from my job. Two days after the anniversary of the divorce, but close enough to make this week a week of bad tidings. :(

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Man this thread is depressing. So what do you all do to cheer yourselves up then?

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Xanax. :p

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

one word... chocolate :p

23. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My back hurts really badly. I went to the chiropracter because when I run my right hip hurts. My hips are off and more force is exerted onto the right thus making it painful. I'm a pretty active person so I had this problem checked out. I had my back streched out and now it is really sore (which is normal), even after icing, massages (part of the treatment :)), etc, it still hurts. When I wake up and late in the day it really starts to bother me. I feel OLD!!

Not as bad as other people's problems, but constant lower back pain is enough to bring my day down.

24. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Three words.

Old. Speckled. Hen.

25. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I also highly recommend duckpin bowling and a box of Tasty Kake.

Hope all goes well with your back surgery. Not a decision to be made lightly, so I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.