Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
It downloads fine and then sits there "installing" forever. It gets to about a minute remaining and then goes back to 7 minutes remaining and that's where it seems to get stuck.

I then downloaded the dmg file straight from Apple, deleted Xcode.app and the dmg version installed fine, but I would prefer to have the version from the store, so I deleted Xcode.app again and retried the App store version with the same result. I don't want to have to delete the preferences and all of the other stuff that's not in the Xcode.app bundle. Any ideas?

This is all on the latest version of El Capitan.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It downloads fine and then sits there "installing" forever. It gets to about a minute remaining and then goes back to 7 minutes remaining and that's where it seems to get stuck.

I then downloaded the dmg file straight from Apple, deleted Xcode.app and the dmg version installed fine, but I would prefer to have the version from the store, so I deleted Xcode.app again and retried the App store version with the same result. I don't want to have to delete the preferences and all of the other stuff that's not in the Xcode.app bundle. Any ideas?

This is all on the latest version of El Capitan.

I have issues with Xcode via the App Store all the time... I find it works best if you go to the Xcode page on the store, click the install button, and walk away (go to sleep, go to work... Something where you won't be back for a few hours.) Come back in a few hours and it's done.

This is in contrast to OSX, which definitely updates quicker if you intently stare at it throughout the process.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have issues with Xcode via the App Store all the time... I find it works best if you go to the Xcode page on the store, click the install button, and walk away (go to sleep, go to work... Something where you won't be back for a few hours.) Come back in a few hours and it's done.

This is in contrast to OSX, which definitely updates quicker if you intently stare at it throughout the process.
I've never had a problem with it before. This is the only Mac that I own with filevault switched on, so I am wondering if that is the problem. Hence I have switched it off and I am trying again.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've never had a problem with it before. This is the only Mac that I own with filevault switched on, so I am wondering if that is the problem. Hence I have switched it off and I am trying again.

My iMac is 8 years old... probably contributes to why it's slow and sometimes has problems. The moment Apple announces a 15" rMBP with Skylake, I'm jumping on it. Not sure what I'll do with the iMac (and the Air) at that point...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
So I switched off Filevault and the install worked. Still, correlation <> causation, so I cannot confirm if FV is the issue, or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.