Anyone else having problems with xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by twoodcc, Sep 18, 2006.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

my 360 has been giving me serious problems. it's gotten to the point now where i can't even play a single game on Madden 07. actually i can't even do 1 single play!

it just keeps freezing. sometimes the screen actually goes blank or shows a bunch of squares.

anyone else having any problems? and if so what did you do about it?

2. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

try cleaning the disc with warm water and soap. If not, return your system and send it in for repair.

You got what you paid for. A rushed to the floor, early revision of a mediocre system.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, it's been messing up with other games as well. i tried calling the support number, but even that messes up and i lose connection!

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

It happened to mine too. Call the number on the box and tell them about it. They'll send you an empty box for your broken one and in 10 days you'll have a new one. Then I highly suggest buying the warranty. It cost more to send one in than to buy 3 years of coverage.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok thanks. i actually got it working again when i plug it up in the other room. i guess i have too many things plugged into the outlet in my room.

i guess i'll wait and see if it keeps messing up or not

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Why don't you pick one of the dozen Wii threads and go drool over your system of choice like a good drone fanboy and not take a dump here? Idiot. :rolleyes:

To the OP, trying on a different circuit or with a surge protector/line cleaner will help reduce the possibility that it's a power fluctuation. Also, is it just Madden?

If you can repeat in a different environment then you're going to have to call MS for a "coffin" to replace the unit.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... but it was rushed wasn't it? I thought it was in production 3 weeks before it's launch (or was it months?).
    360 has been the only console in our house to break in recent years, but the shop replaced it so it was all good in the end.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol well put

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya..Wii haters unite!;)

Honestly, I'd send it back now, unless you need it more some reason..why play around with it try to get it to work? I'd want a either ask for a repair, for free(I'd think its a giving but some of them will try) or a whole new system

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Have you emptied the system cache? That helps when mine freezes. However, mine doesn't freeze that often. Maybe once every two months or so.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The only time mine EVER freezes is since the last dashboard update, when a notification comes on screen and I press the green dash button. Hopefully the september dashboard update solves that problem.

I assume you've done the obvious things. Made sure there's nothing at the back of the 360 or the powersupply blocking airflow ?

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

how do you do this?

thanks

13. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

The warrenty is the best money I spent all year, but go figure, it isnt going to break until after the warrenty expires.....or if they put an internal hddvd drive in them;)

14. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

When you hit "play game" on the main menu hold down the a button until the game's logo appers. You'll here the hard drive rev up, but it's normal.

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll try it

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Are they running their phone system on 360's? :confused:

:rolleyes:

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Only because he said the problem went away once he plugged the unit to a different outlet in another room. Could be a line spike or such.

If it happens again and is repeatable from a different outlet/location then yea, I'd get on the phone post-haste.

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Okay, can you cite this please? I thought this was to clear Oblivion's cache (when playing Oblivion), not the 360's system cache.

If it's a system-wide setting then a) very cool and b) I learned something new today. :)

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Post of the month for me chap - well done :)

It's getting really tiresome having to wade through the Nintendo fanboys in X360, PSP and PS3 threads.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Its quite funny that I used to think gaming consoles were to computers, what OSX is to windows.

Ok, thats an odd and bad comparison, but let me explain.

All gaming consoles, even the ol school NES, you popped in a game, turned it on, and until you turned it off, it worked 100%.

A computer CAN run a game, but its not ONLY running a game, its doing lots of other things at the same time. Conflicts occur, and it can crash.

Thats the appeal of a gaming system vs a computer that can game. A machine that ONLY does one thing, and does it 100% well and efficiently.

Game manufacturers dont get a second chance with console games, there is no version 2.0, because you cant update a console game in the same way you can DL an update for a computer game. So, consoles are also one-up to a computer, because you are almost guaranteed NO BUGS!

Since the PS1, consoles have tried to become more than just game machines. And I think, thats their downfall.

If a gaming console is no more stable than a Windows machine, why the hell would I even buy one? Mario, Zelda and some 1st party titles aside, play a computer you know you can fix!

Bring in the XBOX360, and you have hardware AND software problems. On a machine whose definition is pretty much to run games without bugs and without needed updates. I shouldnt need to erase cache and update my firmware, I bought a console NOT a computer. Turning a gaming console into a computer, is kind of stupid.

21. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's what MS Tech Support told me to do when my games were freezing. I don't know, he may have been mistaken. It seems to work for me.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Precisely my point:

it shouldnt EVER need to be fixed. game or console.

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You "shouldn't" have to do a lot of things in life, but you do.

Sounds like you ought to be skipping the 360 and the PS3 and voting your righteous indignation with your wallet.

Me? I'll be playing games on my 360 in HD without any problems and having fun.

24. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Well, the majority of people don't have to. It seems you've forgotten that there are always exceptions. ;)

25. coal macrumors regular

coal

I've had to send my Xbox back once for repair, but to the poster who compared the problems of the Xbox with that of the original NES, I will say that I've yet to have to blow on any of my games to get them to play!