Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Two cars with the same engine displacement can have widely different 0 to 60.
Yeah, but we're not talking about cars.

The original statement was that it is possible to put a larger battery in a phone with iPhone 6-like dimensions. That's all. An iPhone with a 50% larger battery (which is theoretically probably possible) would be amazing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, but we're not talking about cars.

The original statement was that it is possible to put a larger battery in a phone with iPhone 6-like dimensions. That's all. An iPhone with a 50% larger battery (which is theoretically probably possible) would be amazing.

Okay let's try this. The maximum volume is h x w x d. lets play Monday morning quarterback and figure out why Samsung can do something Apple can't; especially since the s4 has less than stellar battery life.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Okay let's try this. The maximum volume is h x w x d. lets play Monday morning quarterback and figure out why Samsung can do something Apple can't; especially since the s4 has less than stellar battery life.

Because Apple can optimize its iOS and other software better than Android ;)

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Because Apple can optimize its iOS and other software better than Android ;)
Software is part of the answer, but the hardware you throw into a device is just as important. The Galaxy S4 uses much different hardware than the iPhone does...

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
If you have a 6 or 6+ and want a quick charge, use the iPad charger and set phone to airplane mode while charging. I find it works quite well for me, especially if I am at low percentage of remaining battery level. The built in power regulation will really add to the charge level fast.

How much quicker? I plan to switch to the 6s from my Note 4. Currently I'm test driving the iPhone 6 and not happy with the charging speed. My Note 4 charges super fast...

Girder_Shade

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2015
Republic of Toronto
I'm actually surprised how small the iPhone battery is. It's under 2000mah which I haven't seen on Android for a really long time..
Usually they have closer to 3000mah while some phablets are even higher.

Apple needs better battery life or at least better battery saving options. Like an option to underclock the CPU if you want more battery life. Sony does this on the Xperia range which is how they are able to easily get 2 days battery life.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Apple needs better battery life or at least better battery saving options. Like an option to underclock the CPU if you want more battery life. Sony does this on the Xperia range which is how they are able to easily get 2 days battery life.

Low power mode is confirmed in iOS 9. A dialog pops up every time you hit 20% or 10%, but it may be activated at any time.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I'm actually surprised how small the iPhone battery is. It's under 2000mah which I haven't seen on Android for a really long time..
Usually they have closer to 3000mah while some phablets are even higher.

Agree with all that but iOS 9 is finally going to give us underclocking. Macrumours benchmarked it in June and Geekbench 3 benchmarking results seemed to pretty clearly show some underclocking going on. The article is here...

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/ios-9-low-power-mode-benchmarks/

In typical Apple style it doesn't give the user any control or visibility of how much underclocking is going on, I would prefer something like a 10 scale slider to directly set underclocking from anywhere between none to maybe half speed to really maximise battery life so that I could decide how low I was willing to go (a bit like setting screen brightness to the appropriate perfect balance between usability and prolonging battery life).

The other thing that Apple should do is tame iOS background activity. If I'm working at home I often have my phone totally inactive on my desk for the day and usually don't put it on the charger every night. My phone is in that state right now and the battery usage says standby of 1 Day and 0 hours and usage of 1 Hour and 28 minutes. BUT, I have all background activity disabled, no push email/contacts/calendar, nothing syncing with iCloud, and all apps were killed (swiped up) from the multitasking bar so nothing should have been running at all. In fact the breakdown of app usage shows no apps have run and only says "Battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes", i.e. it's accepting that I haven't used the phone myself for even a few minutes, yet something (or things) in iOS has chewed up 1.5 hours of usage time on a phone that has been doing absolutely nothing. If Apple could fix that I wonder how much extra battery life we might get. I'll be interested to see if my phone reports the same high amount of phantom usage when iOS 9 is stable and I install that.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I would be slightly less irked now if Apple do reduce the battery capacity in the 6s, not because I now care any less about battery life but more because I can think of one possible reason why Apple might do this. This is cut-and-pasted from a post I made on another thread...

... I think that if the rumours are true of Apple reducing the battery capacity in the 6s (from old 6 1810mAh to 1715mAh in the 6s - https://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/03/iphone-6s-6c-1715mah-battery/) the reason might well be because of the iPhone 7. Apple might have some serious battery challenges coming up in the 7 so it doesn't want to set the bar too high with the 6s in terms of being able to maintaining 6s battery life with the 7, or maybe being able to implement a plan of adding only an hour extra at each iteration.

The main thing that I can think of that might cause issues in the 7 might be dramatic reductions in size of bezels, maybe to the extent of removing the home button and bottom bezel entirely, which would mean a smaller overall physical size and hence less volume to accommodate the battery if Apple keeps its obsessive focus on making the device as thin as possible still.

If my theory above is anywhere close to the truth then I understand Apple's reasoning and it is actually a good thing for me because it would give me a smooth increase in battery life as I upgrade through iPhone 6s and then on to 7 if that is what I want to do. Instead of having battery life figures (let's just pick one, video playback) that might go something like...

iPhone 6 - 11 hours (official published figure)
iPhone 6s - 14 hours (Apple put in the biggest battery they can fit)
iPhone 7 - 12 hours (because the available space for the battery just got a lot smaller)

I would get...

iPhone 6 - 11 hours (official published figure)
iPhone 6s - 12 hours (Apple put in a smaller battery than the maximum that space would allow)
iPhone 7 - 12 hours (because the available space for the battery just got a lot smaller)

Maybe Apple can squeeze enough extra efficiency out of 7 hardware that the progression might actually be 11/12/13 even with a much smaller battery in the 7 which would be nice, but in any event I can now see at least one possible explanation for Apple deliberately reducing battery capacity in the 6s not out of wilful disregard for user's cries for more battery but to give an overall better experience across generations of device.

I'm still hoping that at some point everything will get thrown at battery life, maybe including radical new battery design and/or chemistry, and the whole industry will shift from targeting getting through a day with moderate to heavy use to being able to get through a weekend or even a week with moderate to heavy use because that would allow me to go away for long weekends or shortish business trips with no concerns about needing (or forgetting to) pack a charger but we are where we are with current technology so it's really a matter of juggling what is possible for the best user experience for the maximum number of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.