Anyone else kept their "exploding" battery?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was doing a spot of tidying up around the little storage room under the stairs. Found a plastic bag with a box inside, low and behold - it's the PowerBook "exploding" battery I boxed up ready to send off back to Apple. I put everything that needs mailing down there, with it being in a plain Tesco's bag I thought it was just some cans for crushing! So yea, Apple sent me a new safer battery months ago and I've had no messages off them yet telling me to get my act together!
    I don't know what to do now. I mean the battery was showing signs of ageing to begin with so I don't think theres much point in keeping it myself.

Anyone else still got theirs?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I somehow misinterpreted the title for a battery that constantly blows up. I need to get some sleep :p

3. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

I accidently dropped my 12'' out of my apartment window a few months ago. I got another one and then I found out my old battery, which was all bent and unusable was elegible for the recall. I recieved the new battery and sent apple back my old horribly damaged one. Now I have a brand new spare battery for my pbook :D

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

It never hurts to have a spare ;) was the fall really that bad to bend the battery?

EDIT: sorry, didn't read it all the way through. How on earth do you "accidentally" drop a laptop out an apartment window? Strategic positioning for better WiFi reception, maybe? ;)

5. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Lol

Precisely! Free Wifi lol. 7 floors onto concrete too. I'm pretty sure it was bad wind, it was pretty snug. Luckily the 1gb ram stick was still good. Actually the only things damaged were the battery, screen and hard disk. The Logic Board, wireless and ram are all good. I kept the ram, I might sell the Logic board and the Airport Extreme.

6. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

jesus I hope i dont buy them.

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

That's nothing to sneeze at. I'm surprised some parts actually survived that fall! I guess titanium is quite strong

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Yes, and I kept using it and it caused my laptop to start randomly shutting down once it got past a certain percentage of charge. It also started hissing!

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought that I read if I did not send the battery back I would be charged full price for it. I guess since I registered with Apple and such they could find my credit card and do it--though I would dispute the charges and they'd be SOL. I'd just return the damn thing.

10. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I actually forgot. It's been sitting here forever. If they did it with DHL and I could schedule a pick up I would have sent it back, but they didn't and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of dropping it off to the post office.