Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I was looking towards customizing my ringtones/sounds on my iPhone, only to realize that I actually like all of the standard sounds that Apple phones/tablets come with on iOS. This includes:

Ringtone (Marimba)
Texts (Tri-tone)
New voicemail (Tri-tone)
New incoming email (wong)
Sent email (Swoosh)
Calender alerts (beep beep)
Lock sounds
Keyboard clicks

How about you guys? Content with default sounds or do you use your own? Feel free to share which ringtones and text tones you use, etc.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I was looking towards customizing my ringtones/sounds on my iPhone, only to realize that I actually like all of the standard sounds that Apple phones/tablets come with on iOS. This includes:

Ringtone (Marimba)
Texts (Tri-tone)
New voicemail (Tri-tone)
New incoming email (wong)
Sent email (Swoosh)
Calender alerts (beep beep)
Lock sounds
Keyboard clicks

How about you guys? Content with default sounds or do you use your own? Feel free to share which ringtones and text tones you use, etc.

I like them, i don't know anyone personally who ever edits their tones.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I edit my own from songs in my iTunes. Finally customized my text tone as well. Didn't mind the stock ones for a while, but when around a bunch of friends with iPhones, and one goes off, everyone checks. Now at least for those two events, I know when mine is going off. Plus after 4 years of the same sounds, I grew tired of them and I thought the new additions sucked personally.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I added back in a few classic MacOS sounds and I'm pretty happy the originals and these additions.

Particularly the good ol' Wild Eep, Duck, and Droplet.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Not really, I use Marimba as my alarm because it's annoying and gets me up, but then stresses me out when I hear people's phone ring...good times.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I like a lot of the default stuff, especially on Mac's. On my iPhone 5 all of the default sounds are set except for my ringtone which is Heat of the Moment by Asia. On my MacBook Pro, I even leave the desktop background as the one that comes default with whatever version of OS X I'm using.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
I agree. Thought I was just being lazy not trying to change them but stock is just fine. I noticed several other iPhone users feel the same when an iPhone rings in a public place.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I turn keyboard clicks and lock sounds off and changed my ringtone (The Vergecast theme), text tone (XBox 360 Achievement sound), and alerts sound (XBox 360 Tray sound).

I don't know why, but I dislike hearing the marimba and tri-tones now.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
First thing I did: My own ringtone, alarm.

There are too many other iPhones around me day-in, day-out, if I don't use a custom ring, I wouldn't know which phone is ringing around me!

Just for the love of God, do not use a rotary dial ring sound, it's so flicking irritating and if you don't happen to be 60+ and drive a Chevy '55 why do you have this annoying tone?

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I have a whole set of 400+ rings and tones from rcptones and I love the professional ones

Really wish the Tri-tone could be changed per-App

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Phone calls: Old phone

Text message: Glass

Alarm: Marimba

Keyboard clicks and phone lock sound both on.:)

loaferkan

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I am very much comfortable with the default tones. seems good. Me being a bit lazy , may also be a factor.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
there is nothing more entertaining than standing in a Starbucks, firing off the tri-tone ringtone and watching 10 people jump at their phones at the same time.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
My text alert is the tweet. For everything else it's the same other then phone calls. Added my own songs for different groups.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I turn keyboard clicks and lock sounds off and changed my ringtone (The Vergecast theme), text tone (XBox 360 Achievement sound), and alerts sound (XBox 360 Tray sound).

I don't know why, but I dislike hearing the marimba and tri-tones now.

Would you share the tones ?

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I like them all, but I personally change the Ringtone (Marimba) because EVERYONE has that ringtone, and I also change the Text Tone (Tri-tone) because many apps have the Tri-tone sound for their notification. I personally like Calypso.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.