Anyone else miss OS 9 (or 8 for that matter)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kwajo.com, Mar 5, 2007.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I know I do. I love OS X, don't get me wrong, but I loved the look of the Classic system, and I had zero problems with reliability on them. There was something that seemed very comfortable about the old OS, and everything was super-fast in UI responsiveness. Not to mention the fact that the GUI was neutral in colour so it was easy to focus on your work and to see colours more precisely. I know you can get skins for OS X to make it look similar, but it just isn't the same (like trying to make windows look like a mac).

I don't know, maybe I'm alone in my OS preferences (for example I adored BeOS, which didn't turn out to be very popular), but I figure there must be some other people that are willing to voice their love for the old Mac systems.

Attached Files:

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

OS 9 was before my time, but from what I've used of it, I miss it a little. I want to be able to play sim city natively in OS X. :p

I felt clumsy when I was using OS 9, though.. probably because I know 0 about it. :eek:

3. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I have to use OS8 at work and I do not miss it at all when I get home.

OS9 is cute and retro but, ultimately, useless to me.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, I miss app crashes that take down the OS and so need a restart...;)

I do miss the Extension Manager and other System controls like that.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I miss the logical file structure: the revolutionary concept that you could only have one file in one place at one time. Sort of vaguely similar to Reality, really. Always made sense to me.

6. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I hear that a lot, and I must have been lucky because OS 9 never crashed on me, so I never had to do restarts or anything. You're right though, protected memory is a brilliant thing.

7. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Nope, I don't really miss it at all. Going back to it now, it just seems so dated, and unstable.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

OS 9 was pretty stable. 8 wasn't though. I used to run Digidesign's Session on 7.6 and that bugger crashed a lot!!!!

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

Maybe I'm missing something here... no one is stopping anyone from using Mac OS 8/9, so if you want to use it, use it.

I use Mac OS 8.6 all the time. Why? Because I can get software for it for next to nothing compared to the price of the same software for Mac OS X. As part of my work is to be versed in many different types of software, trying to have current copies of all the titles I need for Mac OS X would be prohibitively expensive.

As for stability issues... I don't have any on my systems. I don't recall the last time I had either of my main Mac OS 8.6 systems crash, and thanks to Rhapsody taking over memory management for 8.6 in Blue Box, that installation is rock solid. I also don't have issues with any of the apps I use in Classic on the two systems that I have Classic installed on.

Frankly, as a service provider for Apple systems, I won't tolerate crashing or flakiness on any of my own systems. The last thing I want when I'm on my systems is to troubleshoot a problem (of any type).

For those who think there isn't anything you can do on an old Mac OS 8/9 system, I've been using my old PowerBook 3400c (running 8.6) to learn 3D modeling...

[​IMG]

I'd say that Mac OS 8.6 (and all the apps that run on it) still has some life left in it. Generally, the people who propagate the idea that non-current software is obsolete are the people who make money selling new software (and hardware for that matter). Old software and hardware is just as able to perform the same tasks today that they did when they were new and cost thousands of dollars... the only difference is that you can now get that stuff for a few dollars these days. :D

10. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

Oh I agree, no-one is stopping me from using OS 9 or 8, but I miss being able to boot it on newer machines. I still own a couple older ones that will run them just fine, but I really enjoyed the early 2000s when I could choose between booting OS X and OS 9 on the same system, To me that was the ideal, one machines for both systems, rather than needing to operate two all the time.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Looks and stability aside, the test is functionality. One area in which MacOS X apps severely lag MacOS 9/8/7 apps is the integration of text and graphics. This is the thing that attracted users to the first Mac. Up through MacOS 9, it pretty much "just worked." Now, you have to futz with graphics that are inserted into documents. In some cases, it is now a real pain.

12. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

No, don't miss it anymore.

The only thing I missed what that on my old iMac G3 I had installed a Voodoo 2 graphics card that wasn't supported in OSX, so I couldn't use it for games anymore.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, I miss OS 9. in fact, I have one of my computers (iBook 500mhz) right now set up to use it. I really love that greyscale mode and I can work in documents in black and white so it's easier to read in direct sunlight (color is lousy here).

On the other hand, I love OS X too but I need OS 9 often esp. doing PROMT MT (Russian-English machine translation).

14. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Of course I miss it! How will I be able to play Wolfenstein 3D when I get an Intel Mac? :p

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I do miss Starship Titanic too!

Hmmmmmmmm...

*runs upstairs and reinstalls OS 9 on Quicksilver*

17. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Well since i have found a plugin for starcraft to run in OSX it has become completely obbsolete, so much that i removed it from my iBook. So NO

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Also mac os 9 does take up less RAM than X does.. and the fact that they made it easy to read how much RAM each program is taking up helps too!

19. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

emulation for os 9 on intel macs exists, but i don't know any programs offhand or whethethey are reliable.

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Sheepshaver doesn't work on intel macs I think...

21. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Alright... I admit I kinda do miss it a little. I was always using it in elementary school and my dad had a beige G3 PowerMac that ran OS 9. But if I remember correctly, OS 9 wasn't nearly as easy to use as OS X. No comparison there. But the nostalgia... :eek:

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I miss Mac OS 9 only for some of the wacky games that were made for it - most of which were abandoned by the developers and never ported to Mac OS X. :(

However, I don't miss the instability issues all Mac OS releases prior to Mac OS X had. Some of the Classic apps I ran on my iMac G5 were particularly crashy, and took the whole Classic Environment down with them when they crashed.

23. akadmon macrumors 68010

I miss System 6 :( It beat the pants off Windows 1.0 :D

24. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

I miss the "Print Window" command in the Finder. A very useful feature that I have yet to find a replacement for in OS X.

25. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The only thing I miss, is the unbelievably simple ease of use it had... i.e. just copy the System Folder onto another disk, make sure it is blessed and reboot off that other disk!!
    Oh, and I do miss the old 3D games.... especially 3Dfx.... I loved my Voodoo 5500 :)