Anyone else never used Siri at all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, May 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

I've tried it out once I think. Possibly the most useless gimmick in technological history.

2. macrumors regular

It's functional sometimes (weather, restaurants).

3. macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I mostly agree with you. I did, however, use Siri this morning and she was very helpful. I got a phone call from an unknown number. I asked Siri where the area code was and she told me immediately.

4. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors regular

Use it daily to set alarms when I don't wanna open my eyes in the dark. But that's about it lol

7. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I use it sometimes. The last time I used it was to get the phone number of the closest Jimmy Johns. I was hungry!

8. macrumors 601

Not a verbal guy, my fingers are more accurate and faster.

9. macrumors 68000

I don't use it. I talk into my phone. I don't talk to my phone.

10. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

I would use it a lot more if it was reliable. Despite Apple (and others) claiming that it has gotten night and day better, it still doesn't work well. The other day I was wanting directions to a specific sushi restaurant. I was about five miles away, just didn't know specifically where it was as I had only been once. I was driving, so I had to use Siri, otherwise I would have just searched manually and not wasted my time with this useless feature. I ask Siri to give me directions to the restaurant and that B*** tells me she can't find any sushis restaurants near me. Say what? This is effing Boston. You should be able to find about 20 within a five mile radius.

But here is my favorite (personal) Siri query of all time:

This is from about a year ago, but it was so ridiculous that I HAD to screenshot it!
    [​IMG]

11. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

I use it all the time, mostly when I am driving, and telling her to call someone, text someone, or finding out where something is.

I really don't ask the WolframAlpha questions or anything though, and prefer to look them up myself.

12. macrumors regular

JMountainDew

Siri was kinda fun when it first came out, but I've had it turned off for over a year now.

13. macrumors newbie

Use it daily to set alarms when I don't wanna open my eyes in the dark[​IMG]

14. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

I use it nightly to set my alarm.weekly to alert me to take the laundry out after an hour. and once every few days to navigate me home from somewhere.

15. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That also shows on the call history if the number isn't in your contacts. I've...never used Siri myself beyond testing it out. (tip as well, software doesn't have gender).

16. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:rolleyes: It is obviously a more female sounding voice. It is common practice to associate a gender with things, especially when the sound of it is female. You're telling me you've never noticed people refer to their cars and boats as "girl?"

I've used Siri mostly in the winter because I have latest text messages read or ask for directions while wearing gloves. It's quite handy in that respect.

17. macrumors member

I use Siri pretty much every day. I do a lot of driving for work and I use her for making calls and sending text messages. I set timers for cooking and laundry. I use her for directions to places all the time when I don't want to use the GPS. Hell, Siri was one of the reasons I got rid of my Note II since I felt she worked better than what I was getting on the it.

Now my wife doesn't use Siri at all. She has her turned off.

18. macrumors 604

cynics

I use it constantly with a Bluetooth headset.

Call (name)
    Read new text
    Reply to text
    Direction to (destination)
    Remind me to (do something) (when)
    Note (whatever)
    Random sports questions (how are the Baltimore ravens doing)
    Play (music)
    Set alarm for....
    Post to Facebook (whatever)
    Tweet (whatever)

Then I also use it for random questions and as a calculator...

Define (word)
    What is (number) times (number) divided by (number)
    How many (units of measurement) are in a (unit of measurement)

Once I take my Bluetooth out I stop using Siri pretty much. So I just find it good for hands free use.

19. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Really explain.

20. macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I have used it just to set reminders. I use google voice to do everything else. It's 1000000000000000000000000000000% faster and more accurate.

21. macrumors regular

I've used it a couple times. Overall I dont like it. It has been inaccurate most of the time. I would rather pay less for the iphone and not have siri. Just like 3d on my televisions. It's a trendy gimmick. Neither are 100% useless. But I dont see them delivering on the hype.

I do use the voice recognition/typing inside the messages app. But I do not use siri to initiate it.

22. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

The amount of times I have to repeat myself to Siri negates any time I saved, so I just type everything.

The Google Search app has such faster and more accurate voice recognition, so I just use that when I feel the urge to talk to my metal and silicon buddy.

23. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Hardly, if ever. I only used Siri when it first came out with the launch of the 4S and granted that was only a few times for ***** and giggles.

24. afd
    macrumors 6502a

25. macrumors member

The answer is : Everyone that not speaking English natively. I tried it actually, but talking to yourself in foreign language seems really weird. And if your accent is bad... NO.