Anyone else notice any problems with OS X "find"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZildjianKX, Mar 20, 2004.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    I was just messing around with "find" for a bit to try to locate a file on my computer, and I've noticed its got some major problems. A specifed:

Search in : Local Disks
    Search for items whose: Name contains eudora

(I was looking for the installer)

After a few seconds it returns with zero results... but if I choose the specific location it is actually in (my desktop), the find finds is right away... very weird.

I've also noticed the search feature in Mac Mail is very, how do I put it, crappy too. 75% of the time it can't find the content in my E-mail that I'm searching for... so I have to manually find it....

Anyone else experience any problems similar to this?
  2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    No, but that doesn't mean your problem is unique.
  3. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i've had some problems like that... i've been looking for something, then eventually after using Find i remember where the file was.

i've always wondered why it doesn't find files like that... strange.
  4. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm not sure why is wouldn't work on the desktop (it works for me). I have noticed that it doesn't search 'System', but that wouldn't affect most users.
    In Mail, it doesn't search Junk. This is more annoying, because you may be trying to search it to see if any mail was mistakedly put there. Even when you search the Junk mailbox specifically it returns nothing no matter what you search for. :rolleyes:
  5. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Oh, that's probably why.... damn.