Anyone else obsessed with making everything "look" Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PiscesFish, Aug 10, 2006.

1. PiscesFish macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2006
    I love the look of of my iMac with its matching wireless keyboard and bluetooth Mighty Mouse so much that I had to get matching Creature Speakers, a wire mesh "Apple" trash can and matching wire file system. After that, I attempted to spray paint my stapler and pen caddy white (I failed):p . I even have a Post-it note dispenser that looks amazingly like it was made to match my iMac, with a white plastic base and a clear overlay. Am I the only one that does this? :)
  2. minty-freshness macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    yes. yes you are. but that is SO FREAKING SWEET!!!:D
  3. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
  4. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Same :p I got it at IKEA for $10.
  5. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    I do have a tendency to wish that I could make things more tidy and Apple-ish, but I rarely actually do something.

However, I'm set to completely renovate my room... And a Mac Pro is part of the renovations. Design everything around it? Perhaps.
  6. mark! macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    I did it before Mac looked like Mac.

sooo psssht whatever @ Apple's face. I was cool before Apple :cool:
  7. minty-freshness macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    do you have any pics of anything you've modded(like the trashcan)?
  8. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006

The whole concept seems very nerdy to me...

I kind of look at function over form...usually the things I want don't look anything like what I want to use it with.

Like the ergonomic keyboard I have only comes in black...and the mouse I have is black and blue (no, I didn't beat it).....and my speakers were chosen based on sound....
  9. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I found one in my garage. :p
  10. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Office Depot

I bought mine for about $10 at Fry's. My other one was icky, so I figured "what the hell"...
  11. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Actually, I have a whole desk set and trashcan done in that mesh thing, only black. Maybe I should get a black Macbook. :p
  12. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    I'm redoing my WHOLE room, to welcome a Merom MacBook Pro! I got a new desk and some Ikea stuff. I''m repainting my room, i'm gonna get some new stuff just for the MBP...

Has to look good!

So no, your not the only one.
  13. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    When my wife and I ordered our new MBP's (before even seeing them in the flesh)... we totally re-did the home office.

gutted it out, completely. ditched the old big desk, bookshelves, etc.

Painted ONE wall BLUE.. a deep BLUE, it looks very nice. took a lot of work (several coats)..

Bought two new desks from IKEA that JUST fit on the blue wall side by side, with a narrow matching 'thin' bookshelf that fits between the desks.

Bought the IKEA trash can (mesh), bought new BLUE seats (to match the wall) from IKEA, new roof lighting (IKEA), new plastic red rolling drawers (IKEA).

some before and after pics! (before with crappy PC's, after with lovely MBP's!)

Attached Files:

14. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    I tend to keep my computer life separate from my real life.

Examples: On my Mac, everything must be meticulously organized in there proper folders. In real life? Forget about it.

I tend to dislike the "ultramodern" look of furniture that "fits well" with a Mac. My tastes are actually fairly antiquated.

However, I do like the contrast that having my "ultramodern" powerbook on my 19th century style desk provides.

So I guess you could say I'm the exact opposite.
  15. iPoster macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    Off I40/I85, near the Cracker Barrel
    *eyes his G4 iMac, wire mesh trash can and desk set, white creature speakers and iDog*

Have you been spying on me?? :eek:
  16. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    ok, this is REALLY geeky...but.
    when I got my iMac at first, I decided black cables in the back looked out of place, so I tracked down every white usb/firewire calbe I had.
    I bought a white 2nd monitor, my ipod was white, my 360 is white, even my idog is white

..the disaster struck!

last week, I was shopping for a macbook as I decided to sell my iMac...
    I ended up getting a fantastic deal on a BLACK macbook...Nooooooo

I traded my 2nd monitor a while ago and have a dell 2405 in black *phew*
    my new ipod nano is black, I got a black faceplate for my 360, hell i'm even contemplating trading in my ipod for a black one..'s a sickness...I can't help it.
    but I don't do this in any aspect of my life...just my macs.
    I even decided that when I trade up to a MBP next year I'm gonna have to get an ACD to match

*le sigh*
  17. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    You know, those trash cans cost $4 at the ikea store.
  18. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    if you are going to paint items make sure you are using paint that will bond that specific material (ie. different paint is needed for metal and plastic)
  19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    I'm a minimalist, and that, as bad a reason as it is, brings me to the Mac (well, and some god awful experiences withe Windows ME).

I guess I integrated it into my lifestyle (as opposed to it developing itself around me). It just fit.
  20. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2006
    there was a poster yesterday looking to buy a tangerine iMac to match his tangerine ibook. wow :)
  21. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    It looks fantastic!!
  22. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    I loved when I had a studio display and the original keyboard and mouse (the black optical one, that was great) that came with the G4s and I was kinda bummed out to see how much appeal (look-wise) my setup had lost when I replaced the monitor with a 19" Hyundai L90D+, standard white Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse.

But other than that, being a PC enthusiast as well, I try to keep my focus in performance and utility rather than looks :p
  23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Haha I got that one too! They come in silver and black.
  24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Yeah, but it costs me 40 in gas just to get there.
  25. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Yes, i bought a Sliver Trash can to go with my Mac Mini.. and a black "shiny" lamp that goes with my Nano, and bottom of my desk