Anyone else planning on grabbing Nintendogs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by spaceballl, Aug 18, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I wasn't sure, but after all the positive press over it, i'm going to pick one up. I did the EB Games deal. If you take 4 old GBA games to EB Games, they'll exchange them for a paid-for copy of Nintendogs.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

My sister plans on buying a Nintendo DS just to play Nintendogs. She played it at GameStop or EB, and is saving up some money to buy it. She's also waiting for the DS prices to drop.

For me, I still am thinking whether or not to get a Nintendo DS. The price drop that's coming soon is quite tempting though. I'd probably get Nintendogs if I find my sister's copy to be fun and since we really can't have pets in our cramped apartment, I'd at least sorta have a pet with Nintendogs.

BTW, how's that EB deal work? Just any 4 GBA games? Can it also be some GB and GBC games?

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

The games have to be GBA games. They can't be GB/GBC. It's weird. The people who work at EB don't even know about it, but you have to tell them to put it into their computer and it works no problem. The trade is just 4 GBA games for a copy of Nintendogs. You have to pay for tax. I have heard of there being some games that are not accepted, but I took 8 completely random games in and it was no problem. I mean I had some pretty terrible games there and they didn't say anything.

4. shortyjj macrumors regular

I'd be too worried about neglecting my own already-neglected pet (stupid WoW).

5. mkubal macrumors 6502a

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I just bought a Nintendo DS last night in anticipation of the Nintendogs release next week. I'm giving them to my wife as an early birthday present. She's a big fan of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, so I figure she'll become completely addicted to this, as well.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Nintendogs is one of the fastest selling games every in Japan... There must be something special about it.

8. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Do you go to cheapassgamers.com?

I got it for trading in three GBA games with no exclusions, but that ain't going to happen anymore, that was on the first day when there was a lot of confusion about the deal.

But yea it looks really cool, I've played it a few times in stores and I like it... actually I don't even have a DS yet I've been waiting for online but Nintendogs is going to push me over the edge before that. The DS has a lot of good stuff coming out by year's end, I'm very excited.

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha yeah that deal is even sweeter, but it didn't make too much of a difference for me since I just had old games lying around. Well, I still have one game left in my "crappy" pile so I guess if I would have gotten that first deal, I could have gotten 3 copies of the game and sold one. I look forward to playing it though!

Okay is it just me though or does talking to the DS seem a bit silly? I mean... Not that i'd be embarassed, but yeah... um... I think i'd be embarassed.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah it does seem *extremely* silly which is why it will absolutely fantastic
    :D.

I remember the first time my fiance and I were playing WW touched on the train and we had to blow on the DS. It was peak-hour and we ended up playing the whole way home just laughing out butts off. Exepecially when we kept on blowing off those tightrope-walking Shhhhhh postage stamps. The DS is fantastic for that very reason :).

11. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah the blowing thing is cool! I used that for the Yoshi game :)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Cd-wow will be selling the US Nintendogs which is good for us UK folk. release date is 23rd for that shop.

Me and my sister both have it pre-ordered. My sister went for the one with the Husky as a starter, and I've gone for the Chihuahua one (Alsations are god). my girlfriend should be getting it in September and my DS mates around sept-oct. Im pretty excited about this. I know i'll get addicted. the reviews for this are incredible! the critics absolutely love it! and hey, if mr. 40 year old joe-reviewer likes a game about puppies then what about us more accepting folk?

Yea for WarioWare! I was playing WarioWare on the bus home from town once, my girlfriend sat next to me completely embarrassed as im blowing at a gaming machine. i think thats part of the experience! doing something that stupid in public made me laugh madly. it was good :)

13. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

but it does... you meet up with other Nintendog users in the park, and in 'bark mode' with your DS in a half-sleep state, if you walk past somebody else and they have bark mode enabled too then your dogs meet up and exchange gifts. automatically i hear. and you can see the other users profile and even play a recorded message. which is pretty mad

15. Moria macrumors regular

Yep, I went to a preview of it at the EIEF and it looked amazing. The guy who was doing it was totally hooked on it. This is a must-buy for the DS.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Be cool if your puppy grew up and such... really the game looks pretty riduculous but gamespot gave it a 9.1 and they are very stingy with giving games good ratings.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

it'd be nice if they could breed, a la Pokemon ("We don't know how it got there, but your pokemon laid an egg!"). but meh. its a game. not a Microsoft certified, used by the army, sim.

to be honest im a little cautious about getting the US version. maybe the UK edition will have even more dogs, or more UK breeds?
    then again theres Yorkshire Terriors and King Charles Spaniels and the likes in there so i suppose its already quite british.

18. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My wife and I will definitely be picking this up. This is the first DS game I've been excited for at release time (come on Metroid).

19. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Thanks for the heads up, I've never heard of this before. I might have to pick this up for the kiddies

20. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup! Despite the fact that i'm 22 and will be picking it up, I think kids will love this. I am buying a copy for my 11 year old brother. Here are two reviews on it...
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/643/643652p1.html
    http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy...iends/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_read

Of course with all the excitement about Nintendogs, I totally forgot advance wars was coming out on monday too!!

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm 19, my sister is 12, my mate is almost 20, my lecturer is 24, a topless model i know is in her early 20's... we're all after Nintendogs.

seems to be that everyone with a DS is getting it. i know 1 person with a PSP who tried swapping his PSP with my DS after seeing the Nintendogs trailer, the rest dont play games.
    puppies can turn grown men to sappy so-n-so's ;)

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Sell me...

What do you do with this game? Someone sell/explain it, please. :)

23. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You basically raise a dog...sort of a 2005 tamgotchi,

SHadOW

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heh, perfect. Get her a DS with Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and Nintendogs :)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea it is a 2005 Tamagotchi, but then again so was 3D Petz, Dogz and Catz and the rest. and its a lot more similar to Dogz than Tamagotchi.

basically you get a puppy (each game starts off with 5 different dogs but you unlock new breeds, the other games starters, later on), you do all that tamagotchi business. but one of the aims is to gather items. rather like Pokemon you have to play with other people if you want to fully complete the game. There are 2 (as far as i know) linking options; in the park and bark mode. although i think you can go to other peoples houses too.

In total you can have 3 dogs playing together. thats for your dogs only, not sure how many you can have when linked.

you can also get money by winning contests and then you can buy other items for your dog to play with, or wear.

the importers say that with the Mic and touchscreen you get really attached to these critters too O_O