Anyone Else Quite Content With Panther?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LaMerVipere, May 17, 2005.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I'm sure I'll update to Tiger eventually (as most of us will), but Panther is running so smoothly for me right now, I've no reason to complain, and none of the new features in Tiger are absolute MUST HAVES for me.

10.3.9 users unite! :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I use Dashboard all the time, so...

Sorry, I don't talk to people like you.

*takes a step away and turns his back*

3. Brigrat macrumors member

The only reason you started this thread, is because deep down inside you are craving the TIGER!!!

Just give in, and get what you really want!

4. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I'm sorry my spotlight was amazing me. Whats Panther?

6. Majglow macrumors newbie

Using tiger is changing the way I do things. Especially in my studio.

The new network midi and audio is great. Spotlight's smart folders too, I don't know, I wouldn't go back to panther. I would feel like a gimp.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

MEEEEEEEEEE :eek: but not for long i have tiger (family pack) but i'm to lazy to install, maybe i'll drop it off at the apple store and have them do it :rolleyes: ;)

8. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Difficult to resist the dark side is. ;)

9. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Tiger is running smoothly for me here :)

10.4.1 users unite (against united 10.3.9 users)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A month ago, I was going to stick Panther out because there wasn't anything in it that really shone and made me want it badly. I ended up being given it (family pack from Dad, bless 'im) and to be honest, I'm loving it. I think it's probably worth the price (even though I didn't pay it ;) ) although I'm not sure how much of the much-proclaimed speed benefit simply comes from doing a complete erase and install rather than any particular optimisation inherent in the software.

If I were you, I'd get it, enjoy it, then start a thread about how many bugs it has and how you regret every second you two spend together because it doesn't play nicely with Norton etc. ;)

11. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

AuPhalanx

Hi, all!

I upgraded to Tiger and while it is a great OS and a massive advance in technology, I must say that it is not quite as polished as it should be. Frankly, I feel a bit like a beta tester with this. Yes, I am an early adopter with this, but Panther never threw so many screws with me. Just about everyday it is something new: AirPort going wonky, Address Book losing groups, Mail moofing, or a widget misbehaving.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tiger--I like it a lot. Spotlight is really nice and is altering the way I search for things and does make a lot of things easier. Automator is pretty cool and I've even already made a script for myself that I use. Dashboard is OK, not stellar, but OK nonetheless; I use it a lot. The Dictionary (notably cmd-ctrl-D) is AWESOME--THAT makes the bugs almost worth while.

With all of the good, though, I just wish that the Tiger team had polished this apple a little more before releasing it. Of course, with every upgrade it is expected to have a few bugs, but this just seems to be full of little bugs that should have been squashed before release.

If you are satisfied with Panther and are getting your work done and you depend on your machine, then I say good for you. I think the move to Tiger is a good one; not as good as the move from Jaguar to Panther, but still good. Even with my criticisms, I would recommend the upgrade to you, if for anything else, the fun of learning all the new tricks. :)

Have fun... Tony.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Isn't irony gorgeous. ;)

Sorry AuPhalanx, you've got good arguments but I just thought the timing was purr-fect.

13. dav macrumors 6502

I have tiger, only reason I upgraded was all the apps that started moving to tiger only...

Sigh...

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I finally got a chance to try out Tiger at an Apple Store. And I must say, I was impressed. I tried Spotlight real quick and seemed cool. Tried out Dashboard and saw the "ripple" effect. I liked some of the widgets, a lot would be useful to me. Overall I liked it. I guess I don't "need" to upgrade, but I will eventually (maybe this weekend :D).

15. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

AuPhalanx

mad jew!

HA! Yes, the timing was perfect. I really don't mean to yammer about the bugs in Tiger. I guess I am just a tad disappointed because I've been flying Mac problem free since Jaguar. For me, Tiger has no major bugs, but it is the little ones that just occur now and then that get me down.

Thanks for the good joke.

Have fun... Tony.

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

10.2.8 user unite (against united 10.4.1 users, uniting against 10.3.9 users) :p

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

You can be content with Panther, but you can be happy with Tiger!
    I know what i'd rather be! - :)

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. I meant to be having a laugh with the situation rather than you so I'm glad you could see that. Welcome to MacRumors by the way. Most of the members aren't nearly as crabby as me, you should have a lot of fun. It's a great community. :D

As for the bugs, there are quite a few in Tiger but the majority of them aren't all that major. Panther didn't seem to have as many problems but it didn't have as many features either.

19. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I was content with Panther- I upgraded to Tiger, and it's fine- but Panther was the 1st OS that I truly grew to trust.. Call it sentimental value..lol... But I wish I was still running it...

20. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

with all do respect, I don't believe there are that many 10.2.8 users out there,
    and with the growing number of 10.4.1 users you won't be able to make a stand much longer :)

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think you might be onto something. See here.

22. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Hm maybe, but I'd say the people who vote on those kinds of polls are mostly mac fanatics that post on macrumors all day and have to be on the cutting edge of apple technology.

:)

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Those same people likely to unite against the evil that is a previous OS! ;)

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, FWIW, I'm still on Panther and haven't felt to compelled to switch just yet. I think I'll wait until my girlfriend gets a new iBook - I'll test drive Tiger on her machine, and then if it's really worth it I'll pick it up. It's tough to part with Panther when it works perfeclty for me and I'm not needing anything else at the moment. Eventually I'll be using Tiger, but all in good time....

25. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

AuPhalanx

mad jew!

You crabby? Nah! :p Actually, I'm a LONG time lurker here. I post now and then when time allows. You re correct, though, it is a great community. I read a few message boards daily (it's my way of getting the news) and MacRumors is one of my favourites. Once a preson gets a Mac, it's difficult to not watch the company and be interested in the rumours about it.

Now, when exactly is 10.4.2 supposed to be released??? (JOKING!!!!)

Have fun... Tony.