Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I wish I wouldn't compare them like I am but for some reason, whenever I see the (most expensive) link bracelet, I can't help but see a hideous Casio.

I'm trying to decide between the black stainless steel (with link bracelet obviously) and the regular stainless steel with milanese loop. Am I alone here?

la670wacas_silver

casio852.jpg

Apple-Watch-88.jpg

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
It looks like a watch band your best friend's dad who worked at NASA in the 60's would wear.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
It looks like a watch band your best friend's dad who worked at NASA in the 60's would wear.

Hahaha seriously! It's tough because without considering the bands, the black stainless steel is the best looking imo. But with the bands, I'd probably say the Milanese loop stainless steel looks better than the black stainless steel with link bracelet. What do you guys think?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Hahaha seriously! It's tough because without considering the bands, the black stainless steel is the best looking imo. But with the bands, I'd probably say the Milanese loop stainless steel looks better than the black stainless steel with link bracelet. What do you guys think?

Problem is they didn't bother to design any other bands to go with the Space Black SS, which really blows.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Im getting the Milanese loop as a tribute to Dungeons & Dragons I used to play when I was younger. It reminds me of Chainmail armor.

Edit: Sigh, Ive changed my mind again about the Milanese loop. It doesnt look good in videos! arghh

Last edited:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I must admit that one of those steel bands from digital watches in the 80s was the first thing I thought of when seeing the steel link bracelet. I guess that dates me, lol. But they do look nice- not cheap or anything. Especially the black one.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for this.

I knew it seemed familiar but I couldn't put my finger on what it reminded me of. Yes it looks cheap and unimpressive. I'm stuck between the milanese and sport. May just go with sport. TBH I'm thinking that 3rd party options will eventually get released in droves. I expect them to look and feel much better.

Chiba

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I think you would have to check it in person.. :rolleyes: Picture don't give it justice. The Link bracelet does indeed remind us about those Casio watches because it is a pretty classic band arrangement. But when it comes to watches, there's much more than that: the material used, it's finish, the way it has been assembled, the weight and several other factors come into play. Some watches look very classic but yet feel premium. :)

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I wish I wouldn't compare them like I am but for some reason, whenever I see the (most expensive) link bracelet, I can't help but see a hideous Casio.

I'm trying to decide between the black stainless steel (with link bracelet obviously) and the regular stainless steel with milanese loop. Am I alone here?

I don't think the link bracelet is ugly at all. I prefer this look to some of the gaudy multi-color, multi-texture bracelets I see. In any case, I don't think gaudy link bracelet would work well with the plainish Apple Watch

In terms of construction, the Casio bracelet (or the twist-o-flex) have nothing in common with the Apple one. The cheap springy bracelets are made from folded pieces of thin sheet metal. Apple's bracelet links are machined from solid pieces of metal. I don't know how strong Apple's bracelet will be, but the Casio type breaks very easily.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I must admit that one of those steel bands from digital watches in the 80s was the first thing I thought of when seeing the steel link bracelet. I guess that dates me, lol. But they do look nice- not cheap or anything. Especially the black one.

Exactly, me too, and that's part of the genius of Apple, recognizing that people have different tastes in bands and offering a nice selection of them.

(Albet, at some damn good profit margins, thought I was going to choke when I saw the link band price, LOL)

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
There's nothing ugly about 80s Casio watches. They're timeless retro classics. Death to anyone who claims otherwise! *shakes curmudgeonly fist*

By the way, to those fools who think Casio watches are the source of steel link bands: I pity you. :p

Reactions: Celerondon

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I like the look of the Milanese Loop, but you'll have to wear it rather tight to your wrist as it won't hold a shape (not stiff) like the link bracelet. But the Milanese can be adjusted to a custom fit. Would you consider the leather Loop? It offers a custom fit like the Milanese and can hold a shape like the link bracelet. Only drawback is that leather isn't water proof.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Yes!! Funny you should say that. When I first saw it - I thought of Casio and Timex. (And that twist-o-flex band brings back memories, lol).

I was really hoping for some sort of staggered link type of bracelet like on the Rolex Yacht-Master:

116622pl.jpg

But I'm sure there will be plenty of choices coming soon. This kickstarter campaign has one that looks interesting (and real similar to the style of the Rolex band). And they claim to be available in April.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1843570774/time-for-change-a-band-for-every-occasion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.