Anyone else see Sonys 2hr long PS3 announement at E3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by edesignuk, May 23, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm just watching it now, 45 minutes in, two words sum up my feelings.

Holy. ****. :eek:

The thing is absolutely ridiculous in all the right ways. I'll try and rip some clips from it in a bit, but in the mean time, wow.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I watched it end to end the other night. I'm simply amazed by it. Sony has their act together, but I do have a concern. There is no way Sony could sell the PS3 for $300.

Did you see the RSX technology?!?1!?1!

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Still picking my jaw up off the floor. Just seen the duck demo with the cups. Once again, holy ****. I's just incredible.

4. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

um...no. It's 883MB :eek: :D

Just seen the EA real-time demo of Fight Night, my god :cool:

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:eek: I stand corrected.

8. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Ya gamespot has the link.....but the killzone 2 trailer is ridiculous....I think that both systems are going to be graphically the same though. The cell is theorhetically more powerful but well see in the end. Any how while its off topic edesign you have the greatest avatar she is hot as hell

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I watched this at work with my manager once they started showing the tech demos we just had to stop work and sit there, I for one will be buying one of these the day they become available.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I believe it'll be around $450 or $460. It's already been called the most expensive piece of gaming hardware ever. It is a nice system though, but too rich for my blood.

11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea too bad that the killzone trailer is fake and is not game footage, those graphics are PC :mad:

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I decided about 6 months ago that I refused to purchase another PS2 game until the PS3 came out. The graphics just don't wow me like they used to.
    I'm excited that Sony is trying to push the PS3 out the door early to try and steal some of MS' XPox2 thunder..

But I was also amused by the implications of Sony's PS3, as seen through the eyes of cartoon characters:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-05-23

13. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

ha thats pretty funny, yea it sucks that some of it is BS but i know that this thing is going to own all the other consoles, and thats all i need to know, no care of specs

:p

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Could Apple be rubbing off on Sony?! We'll call it Reality Distortion Field......v2. :D

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I had to sell my soul to watch that PS3 announcement. Thanks to whoever for providing the link.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I watched half the video. It was awesome.

Anyone notice Apple similarities?

Speaker goes on stage. Speaker promises great things to be shown. Speaker first elaborates on how good they've done with a few exaggurations. Speaker then speaks about how innovative and great their products are. Speaker then proceeds to comment how pretty the screens are (remember WWDC? Steve made the same comment on the HD projectors as the Sony guy did). Speaker then proceeds to call a bunch of people onstage to demo stuff.

Anyway...I'm sold. Short of it costing $500, I will probably get PS3 AND Revolution.

I actually think $300 is a possibility. This "RSX chip is worth $1000" thing is a really nice way to make it sound expensive. We have next gen chips coming. I mean, look at the last generation jump, a $200 Geforce 6600 GT outperformed the previous top NVidia card, the FX 5950 Ultra, which cost $500, by over 2x IIRC. Assuming a similar jump, a $200 (retail, far less in bulk) next gen card should outperform a current $500 card by over 2x. So its perfectly reasonable. I expected those kind of numbers.

Now, considering the price of the Cell processor and all the goodies, I will say right now that $399 is looking much more likely and $499 is a possibility. I'm just saying that $300 is not a complete impossibility.

17. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Ok i really liked the keynote....especially all the game demos. My favourite by far was the Motor storm demo...wow :eek: :eek: :eek: That demo was amazing, and i believe it also showed some real game-play graphics.

Sony has my money as soon as they release it, i dont mind fishing up the $500 for such a console...these things are an investement, they last long, i still have my PS2 and i still play my GTA's :D :D

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, if its $500 I'll just buy a Revolution, play all the launch titles, and wait for the first price drop on the PS3. Online Super Smash Bros should keep me busy for a few months/years/decades :D

19. Sogo macrumors 6502

AH HA! Another penny-arcade person! YAY! He does bring up a good point, sony usually overestemates. But what are you going to do....

20. angelneo macrumors 68000

Actually, I'm quite confused after watching the conference, did you see the unreal engine 3 demo in real-time render? It looks absolutely amazing when they starting rotating, moving around with the controllers.

21. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah and even the details that were of no use in the game-play..e.g.. the outside scenery were absolutely beautiful!!! I am not sure if i can wait a year :p

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Killzone trailer is not fake. According to Sony's statements its running on hardware equivilant to the final PS3. The only reason it wasn't realtime is that the Alpha hardware in the PS3's onstage there would have lagged big time. Assuming you believe Sony, that is.

Personally this sounds believable. Anyone watch the MTV conference? Perfect Dark Zero looked horrid and ran at 15-20 FPS. Gears of War ran at about 10. Visible megalag.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dose anyone know what the power of the xbox 360 cpu actually is?, seing as the ps3's cpu dose 200Gflops. (gpu dose 1.8Tflops and 2tflops total you do the math)

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Microsoft claimed 112 gigaflops or something like that.

Remember though, flops is FLoating point OPerations per Second. These numbers don't take into account a number of aspects of CPU's (though its a better measurement than MHz when comparing different architectures), and are assuming absolute maximum theoretical performance which the systems never even approach.

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Truly an awesome machine, even if only half the tech demo's were realtime.

Too lazy to look for the link (Engadget maybe?), but I recall an update found in Japanese press alluding to the release price of PS3 coming in at a US equivalent of $365, not the $465 that was originally "reported." IIRC, that is about where both the PS1 and PS2 launched in Japan. I think Sony is going to take an absolute bath on the first units and sell it at $299 again in the US. I also think the A games will be $59, but with extras we don't typically see here in the States like making of specials and hints. These would typically be on a 2nd DVD (think Halo special edition and the like), but with Blu-Ray there probably won't be a need for another disk. Sign me up!