Anyone else sick of Halo?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AkiraK, Jan 24, 2004.

1. AkiraK macrumors member

Ok. I thought Halo was ok, but definitely not worth the hype. The single-player level design was pretty repetitive (especially onboard the various ships/stations), and the multiplayer was little more than a tricked out rehash of Tribes 2 (Battlefield 1942 is infinitely better, imo). The storyline is strong, but hardly enough to compensate for the weak level design/gameplay. I'm not trolling here, I just don't understand what I see as the game's insanely positive reception. Halo 2 is supposedly the most preordered game in game history, but I could honestly care less after playing Halo.

2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Halo isnt that good at all... What im really anxious for is Unreal Tournament 2004! It will be fantastic!

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It was way too repetitive - and there was so much potential....

The interior spaces were interesting - but it would have been a little better if there was more to figure out than just going and shooting everything in sight.

Also, the vehicles were great and the last 'race' in the end was good - but there should have been more of that.

You have the flying vehicles, but you were limited to the terrain ... there should have been a level where you had to fly more. That and the tank....you just get it once....

Ah well, we'll see what happens with H2 - have you seen the trailer? Not bad and it looks like they've made it a little more interesting.

D

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Microsoft took Halo and after they were done had turned it into Hollow. I would rather see a lot more levels for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. still one of the best online games! Dynomite Planted! Medic!

5. AkiraK thread starter macrumors member

I think that's my biggest problem with it. Halo had potential to be so much better, but what's there hardly capitaizes on it. The vehicles were too limited, and the levels basically amounted to shooting wave after wave of enemies (if that's all you're looking for, try Serious Sam--it's cheaper and does a better job of it).

The single-player is just that--single-player. Your AI teammates are pretty weak. The PC/Mac versions killed off the one intriguing aspect of the console version, that of coop play, and the code was about as inefiicient and buggy as any game released this year (with the notable exception of Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness!). The game lags even on its native Xbox in certain areas, and the port does little to improve on the problems plaguing the console.

It is also painfully short (though not as short as Max Payne 2, which at least had more interesting gameplay. I guess I'm just curious to hear why the game was so great from some of the people who liked it (aside from the fanboy mantra of "It was awesome and if you don't like it, you're stupid!" that seems to litter the various forums).

For my money, Prince of Persia is still the game to beat this year. Hopefully someone is working on a Mac port even as we speak.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Coop play would have been really nice - even better ai that would have let them drive and *you* shoot in the single player levels. :rolleyes:

I would stop the vehicle a safe distance away, get out, kick the gunner out and get behind the gun and start shooting.

Pain in the ass since you were effectively a sitting duck...

did manage to beat the thing on the difficult setting (one down from the hardest).

I think I bought it because I had been waiting for years to get the game - way back when, when Bungie first announced it....

Shame really what happened.

D

7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I guess I'm the minority here. I'm a huge fan of Halo. The levels are repetitive, but its the same way in the xBox version. Multiplayer is where its at. 8v8 CTF Blood Gulch. It's intense.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with Mr anderson, i thought it was so poor that i couldnt man the gun in the vehicle unless it was stopped. After trying this game im convinced they forgot to polish it, I feel this game could have been a 100 out of 100 but ended up with much much less. I bought it because of everything i heard. i wish i had saved that money. After coming off of RTCW and UT2003 it was a let down. I still feel Giants is a better looking and more fun to play. To be honest I havent even tried multiplayer but after seeing so many things wrong in single player and looking at all the bugs for nvidea cards and other things i have lost interest in Hallow.

9. Flickta macrumors 6502

Repetitive levels - same was said about Oni. But for those who understood - what a Great game!

And then again, in reality things (architecture and such) ARE repetitive.

10. AkiraK thread starter macrumors member

So it sucked on the Xbox as well? Hardly a defense of the game's much ballyhooed reputation...

But Oni had awesome gameplay. What does Halo bring new to the table?

Nothing.

Besides, comments like "...for those who understood..." don't exactly further debate. Help me understand instead of just saying that I don't get it. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe there's anything to "understand."

You're talking about a game set in outer space on a fictional ringworld being overrun by an alien race. Certainly you're not arguing that reality should be a consideration.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's another thing - there was so much more to explore - but you're given a very small section to play on - and you have no control over where you go....

Blah, it could have been so much better.

D

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Halo seems to be a little overrated. I played it before and it was fun.... but it is not worth all the attention it gets. My opinion maybe a little biased though since I have a 700mhz G3.;)

13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree. Halo was over-hyped. I'm at the last level in the engineering room. I've yet to go back to it. For some reason I have little desire to finish the game. Something that doesn't happen with me unless I just get sick of the game.
    I've played Medal of Honor to the finish. I've played Rune to the finish. Those are the only two games that I was rabid to finish.

14. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Halo is a great game. The single player game is nothing more than a training environment for multiplayer. That is where it is at. Even on the xbox, you could play with 16 people. The advantage of PC/Mac play is that you don't have people peeking at your part of the screen like you do in the split screen version on the xbox.

Multiplayer is way intense. It rewards those who practice and decimates the weak.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I got an X-box for Xmas and just picked up Halo a few days ago. I'm at the level where I just rescued the caption of the Pillar of Autumn from the alien ship and we are about to fight our way back to the shuttle bay.

I'm very surprised. I didn't think it would live up to the hype but I think it's a very fun, action oriented FPS. I think the storyline is good so far and ,w/ the difficulty on normal, I think the action in the game moves along a just the right pace. I would like to see a variety of more aliens though. I also need to get one of my buddies over here for co-op play. The controls are also very good. I'm playig Jedi Outcast too and even though I've played w/the controller settings the controls just don't feel as good as the do in Halo. I have very tight control over Master Chief but Kyle Katarn feels lose in comparison.

I think Halo is very good for what it is supposed to be. Sometimes it's nice not to think about how to get to level X and just concentrate on getting there and killing everything in your path. ;) And the story keeps it interesting keeps me wanting to advance to the next level.

Plus the multiplayer is a ton of fun. Sense you are limited to only 2 weapons you have to fight w/a bit more forethought than games that let you can all the weapons you can pick up. A few weeks ago we hooked up 4 Xboxes over out network at work and played for the better part of 6 hours. It was an absolute blast.

Lethal

16. Flickta macrumors 6502

My fault. Being a fan of Oni, I couldn't put it another way. Oni reviews were somewhat negative, because of the bad graphics (had to work on playstation => low quality textures), level design ("cut-n-paste") and difficulty (too low using weapons). But gameplay was so good, and atmosphere - so immersive (can say so?) that I was amazed.

My copy of Halo did not ship yet. Distance...

17. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I played Halo on a console with friends but got bored with it after a few hours of play.

18. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I was so excited to get Halo. I loaded it, fired it up, and 20 minutes later was so incredibly bored that I pressed Apple-Q and haven't been back since. I'm getting rid of it. I'm SSSOOOO tired of manic running and shooting. That's why I spend my gaming time online with America's Army and Ghost Recon. Tactics, more teamwork, realism. Halo is just Quake or Unreal with different scenery. Ho-Hum.

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I concur. What could anyone possibly say besides reading from the "storyline", which is quite disposable when you get right down to it. You could make the story incredibly complicated and even entertaining, but after those screens go by, it's back to running around shooting. How stupid.
    I'm waiting for the "explanation" as you are.

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

The original demo from bungie was running on a G3, I will probably never bother to get it now, it's just been turned to sludge by Microsoft.

21. iJed macrumors 6502

I found Halo to be a good game. Not great but good.

My main problem with Halo is that I expected something of the calibre of Marathon. Halo is nowhere near as great as Marathon was when it was released. It is far shorter than it should be, its got a very limited selection of weapons, poor use of vehicles (which were excellent fun while they lasted), repetitive gameplay and of course it is two years late. Surely they could have at least added a few extra levels or something?

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's a matter of personal preference. If you're into 'hamster-on-steroids' type action games, then Halo isn't that unique.

If you're into multiplayer games, then most of the best ones (IMO) come from the PC, not from consoles. I've only played multiplayer Halo on XBox, but it didn't seem anything great.

But if you're into immersive storylines, with oodles of atmosphere, Halo's as good as it gets. The great voice talent, the fantastic O'Donnell soundtrack, the weapon balance - each weapon has its strengths and its weaknesses, the fact that you can only carry two weapons, and ammo is limited adds to the tension.

If nothing else, "millions of gamers can't be wrong!" :D

23. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

Uh... yeah, like those millions of gamers that made Deer Hunter the game of the year in 2000?

Halo would have revolutionized gaming as we know it has it been Mac only (or first) as planned and debuted at MWSF in 1999. It even had subs you can operate and a slew of stuff. Then M$ bought Bungie and did what they always do, make things into crap. Halo is merely just another FPS now. Oh but what could have been, thanks Microshaft for ruining the future.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are into games like America's Army and Ghost Recon of course you aren't going to like Halo. They are two completely different styles of game. I've been playing Spinter Cell a lot lately and Halo is a nice break from the thinking, waiting, sluething, and out smarting playing style that SC requires. Some times I want more run 'n gun some times I want more tactics. I don't think one genre is inherently better than the other.

Lethal

25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

VERY good point.
    I like golf a LOT. My buddy likes fishing, which I find idiotic. He thinks as much of golf. I wouldn't think of faulting him for it, and he knows never to ask me to go! We live in harmony when that's understood.
    Keep on blasting away, just don't expect to see me on the servers for Halo... ever! :)