Anyone Else Suspicious of Apple's Alledged Sales Numbers for China?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Jan 15, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

So for the iPhone 5 in China, Apple said it "sold over two million of its new iPhone® 5 in China, just three days after its launch on December 14" from http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/12/16iPhone-5-First-Weekend-Sales-in-China-Top-Two-Million.html. However, this number seems highly suspicious now and I believe Apple stuffed many boxes onto the shelves of retailers and claimed every single one as a sale when in fact it may not have sold. The reason to be suspicious is that there were absolutely no lines or much traffic for a launch day in any Chinese Apple stores and then it has come to light that Apple has cut in half it's component orders for the iPhone 5 from the Wall Street Journal. In the past, kdarling here has shown that Apple includes retailer inventory as "sold" units when making these suspicious press releases and my spidy senses are tingling from this smelly fudging.

And to add to this, Apple shares are in a free fall right now at a 6 month low. It has been tumbling down ever since the iPhone 5 went on sale. Even the stock market doesn't seem to believe Apple.

2. macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I really feel for you, nothing better to do than be on a forum about a company/product you hate. Making every post you can to try to bring down the big bad apple. It's starting to get sad.

3. takeshi74, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

macrumors 601

Citation? Does Apple only sell via it's B&M stores in China? They don't sell online or through other retailers and carriers as well?

4. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

If your a shareholder, I guess you would be a bit concerned.
    I am not so I, really does not matter if they sell 5k or 5 million.
    If your an Apple hater, well I believe nothing you say.

5. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

I've been suspicious of Apple sales since the 5 million in 5 days. Carriers say its selling but

6. macrumors 6502a

The thread starter doesn't know what he's talking about.

The long lines and rioting that took place during the 4S launch was exactly what Apple hoped to prevent this time around. For the iPhone 5, Apple used a tiered reservation system to spread out pickups at its stores, and encouraged both sales and preorders through various carrier outlets.

The truth is this was a major logistics win for Apple.

7. macrumors 6502a

chambone

Exactly, and in addition to that, retail points have about doubled compared to when the 4S launched.

----------

Nope. Looks like you're on your own.

8. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're confused why there weren't lines with 0.001% of the population buying something? People have way too much time on their hands... Side note - when companies want to inflate numbers they say "shipped," not "sold."

9. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap this is what samsung does! 1 million galaxy note 2 shipped in south korea! :rolleyes:

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

http://www.ibtimes.com/iphone-5-draws-crowd-just-one-person-china-938173

There are just too many things adding up to show that the iPhone 5 is not living up to expectations.

For some others in this thread, kdarling in the past has shown that Apple includes both sold and shipped inventory to retailers (that are not necessarily sold) when putting out these press release sales numbers as a standard means of obfuscation.

11. macrumors 68020

Yep, plus they only count activated phones. So even if they actually sell a phone, but the buyer doesn't turn it on and connect it to the internet, it doesn't count as a sold unit.

12. macrumors 6502

Can you even imagine what a pathetic and worthless existence this dude actually has, to spend this much time and effort whining about someone else's choice of products from a consumer electronics company??

You can't help but feel sorry for him.

13. macrumors 6502

There have been problems with line-ups in China and HongKong previously with iPhone 4S launch. So Apple used a online lottery system:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/dec/17/apple-2-million-iphone-5-china