Anyone else the only "techie" person of the family?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ceruleanventure, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2006
    I thought this would be a good topic, is anyone like the sole provider of technical knowledge for your family/friends? I live in a large family and I am the only one who knows anything about electronics (my family members are not stupid, just ignorant in this subject) So therefore I am the one who them come running to when they have problems with laptops/ipods/cameras/xboxs etc... If this happens to you, are you annoyed or do you relish the power you have?:D
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd bet most of us are the "'techie' person of the family." It's more annoying than anything else :p
  3. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    yes --- i bought a mac 8 years ago --- my parents were on a PC that whole time ... i was sitting at the thing always trying to make it work ... told them to buy an iBook for an upgrade --- haven't heard a word about help in a year -- my dad is producing some nice home movies now ...

ya ya
  4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    yer, me. And yeah, annoying sometimes.

on my fathers side of the family, I'm it. I get calls from the gran, sister, etc.. often. It can sometimes be painful and it's generally due to them being too cheap to buy decent equipment that doesnt fail so much. *sigh*.

On my mum's side, their all brainiac's. anaesthetists, engineers, software programmers, etc... so never ever get calls, ea little part of the family has a computer nerd... so it's all good. haha!
  5. timerollson macrumors 65816

Dec 4, 2005
    Nope. My parents and my two older brothers are into it. It just trickled down to me.
  6. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Family? No, my dad's an electrical engineer at Cisco.

Friends? You bet. Drives me insane sometimes.
  7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Yes, I'm the only techie. It's a gift and a curse.
  8. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    yeah, i am. and i really need to get this shirt

it gets *really* annoying sometimes
  9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    No - Lori and I are both techies. But, we do serve as the techies for our respective families. That being said, since Lori does the techie thing for a living, I do enjoy letting her know that she is responsible for Windows and Terminal when I deal with either. I think it makes her happy.:D
  10. srf4real macrumors 68030

Jul 25, 2006
    paradise beach FL
    My dad finally got an imac in 99, I never knew anything about computers before that. I played with that apple every sleepless minute until I figured it out and then taught him how to use it. That's why I love macs, you don't have to be too smart as long as you got common sense!
  11. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Kind of. My dad's not horrible, but he just doesn't try to figure things out for himself before calling/yelling across the house for me. He gets on my nerves about it. My mom just doesn't have a clue (double-clicking on the icons took forever for her to learn, then we got OS X with the Dock where you don't have to double-click... yeah), and the rest of my family falls somewhere in between. I'm by far the most techie though, and I get called on to fix stuff far more than I think I should. I dunno what they'll do when I move out (actually, I do. Phone calls day and night, not looking forward to it.).

12. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    i want that shirt :D

and yeah i am.
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    My brother is the techie in my family. Scary thought. He spends 25 hours a day visiting techie message boards while I only spend 24 hours.
  14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Yes I am and I keep the knowledge to myself and it pisses them off.....

15. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    I'm wearing that shirt. (not kidding)

'Nuff said. :rolleyes:
  16. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yes and it's bloody annoying.

Especially since the rest of the family is running PCs - I get tech support calls and I simply can't remember how to do any of the stuff they want me to do.

It's even worse with your home electronics, Dad will rush out and spend thousands of dollars but take his advice from *shudder* the store employee... He's gonna be pretty mad in a few years when he realises that big plasma screen (gorgeous that it is - I loves me some plasma) is going to have to be retired to the bedroom because it's not a proper HD set. Mind you, he and Mum will probably just think it's "good enough" and be done with it.

They won't bother to learn either - they make no effort to stay even reasonably up to date with stuff that's going to be having an increasingly large role in their lives over the next few years. At least I know I'll be OK.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I am, my Brother and Mom know a little but always ask me for help. I'm even the Apple guy in my grade, i've had people tell me when ever they see the Mac /PC guys ads, they think of me
  18. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Yep. I don't know how I even became techy, my parents are completely computer illiterate so I didn't learn it from them. What I hate is, they think I'm the webmaster of every site on the internet. Every time Hotmail is down, my dad will ask me, "Why is Hotmail down?" I tell him I don't know. He says "Well how do I get to my e-mail?". Oh, and then my mom fowards every single chain letter she gets to me. Some of them are the dumbest things and urban legends. I think she's sent me the one about the cell phone no-call list a million times. Both of them always get the virus warning chain letters from their friends and flip out (and foward them to me too). They're like "OH MY GOD THERE'S A HUGE VIRUS GOING AROUND TEH INTERNETS IS OUR COMPUTER SAFE?????" And of course I reply with, "You have a Mac. No virus will harm your computer. The next time you get one of those e-mails, IGNORE it." But, they never learn. They even fell for that "Microsoft will pay you for each person you forward this to" crap. Coming from these two, it's amazing how I know about computers :rolleyes:

My parents are the same way. They're always like "Why would the guy at Best Buy lie? He works at Best Buy, so he must be smart and know everything or else he wouldn't work at Best Buy" They don't buy big electronics often, but when they do, I tell them to wait until I'm not busy so I can go with them, before they do something stupid.
  19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    It's so funny no one in my family ever sits down and does a little research about something electronic. I have suggested reading cnet's reviews, amazon reviews and stuff like that for opinions. Yet they come to me comepletely clueless. "I saw this comercial the other day... and I was thinking..."

I am very happy to have a discussion. I won't unless they have actully put in an effort and obtaining at least a little bit of information before coming to me. Otherwise it's just an annoyance.
  20. CompUser Guest

I am the only techie in my family. My dad isn't that bad with it, but he's not great.

It is soooooo anoying! "Erik, can you burn me a CD (that has to have 2gb of photos :rolleyes:)", "Erik why doesn't the internet work", "Erik can you unfreeze my computer", "Erik why does AOL not work" :)rolleyes:), "Erik can you come help me with this", "Erik can you come change the ink cartridges, I don't know how", "Erik how do I turn this on (computer monitor)", "Erik how do I turn this off (computer)"...

Gah its driving me insane just thinking about it
  21. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    Well now that i have converted all my family (dad's next) they have all become confortable and don't need to be super techy. I sometimes feel im the techiest person in my school (800 kids) yet by far not the geekiest. Looking at me you would think I'm a surfer. It's just a hobby.
  22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I'm the only techie person in the extended family basically. There is only one uncle of mine who knows a lot about computers and the rest are self sufficiant. But in my immidiate family I'm the only one who knows anything at all. My sister calls me down every five minutes basically, she even calls me when a message pops up and doesn't even read it (even if it is software update -_-). My dad is ok with computers and probably doesn't need my help most of the time (but if his computer was infested with spyware and malware and he knew about it he probably wouldn't bring himself to ask for my help). My mom acts the same way as my sister. My older sister runs windows with no protection whatsoever and doesn't call for my help until it's time for a reformat -_-. I hate being the only one who knows anything about computers and I want that "I will not fix your computer." T-Shirt :D.
  23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    I've pretty much successfully turned anyone I talked to into a Firefox user--something I'm pretty proud of. This was people at school, at home, and heck even in my dorm.

On the other hand, being the only techie means fixing everyone's computer--brother/mom/dad/and of course any of the 'in-laws' (there are many in an Asian family).

My brother is a "semi" techie--e.g. he'll read a legit mag like CPU...but he still has to ask me for clarification.
  24. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'd prefer a shirt that said: "I'll only fix your computer, if you give me money."?

My parents are hapless when it comes to doing anything technical. Also true for most of the rest of my family (both sides).

25. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I mentioned my parents, I think I need to mention my grandpa.

He decides he wants a computer about 5 years ago. He purchases a top of the line (back then, that's like a <1GHz PIII) computer, which will be used nothing. But he's loaded, and pisses the money away on it.

I got the pleasure of setting it up and showing him how to use it. He's a very impaitent man. So, of course, that would go well :rolleyes:

The first place where he gets confused is when I tell him to click the mouse. "What does that mean?" So 10 minutes later, after explaining left click and right click, we've got that concept down.

Time goes by, he's calling me often with questions. Then, a year later, he says "I want AOL". Well, what he wants, he gets. So I go over there and install AOHell. He has endless problems with that, but keeps it for a couple years.

Then he wants something faster. He doesn't know if he should get cable or DSL. I tell him we have cable, and it's good, and he should get that. But he calls up SBC (DSL), and asks them what's better. Well, of course they'll say DSL is better than cable (even though its more expensive for slower speeds) so he gets DSL. I have the joy of installing that for him.

So a few months later, his computer is basically unbearable to use. It's Windows 98, and is completely filled with spyware and god knows what else. Instead of buying XP and letting me do a clean install with that, he decides to buy a new computer. Off to Circuit City we go. He basically gets a top of the line HP (I would've recommended a Mac, but I didn't want to go through the hell of teaching him OSX). Then the salesman at Circuit City is like "You should get the extended warranty on the computer, the printer (fancy all-in-one), and the monitor (17" LCD)" Before I had a chance to tell him no, he says "Sure, I'll take it." Probably an extra $500 added to his total. He's spent nearly 2 grand on this thing.

So we get it to his house to set it up, and I make sure to install everything to prevent spyware and viruses. Windows is set to auto update. Adaware updates and runs on its own. Same with the antivirus. Everything is set up so he should never, ever get anything. The only thing I didn't do was install Firefox because he believes that the blue E is the internet, and explaining to him that the orange fox around the blue globe is the internet would just confuse him.

A few months ago, he calls me and says "I keep getting popups." My first thought is "What the hell? He shouldn't be". I go over there, expecting IE to be spawning ad popups. Well, we boot up the computer. The first popup he complains about is the SBC software window which says it's connecting. The second popup is the antivirus software's message in the systray saying it updated itself. He takes the mouse. The third popup is the right click menu. That's right, he's right clicking the mouse (probably doesn't know it...he had a stroke recentley and doesn't have much feeling in his hands) but in the meantime, he's b*tching about all of these so-called "pop ups." I explain that everything is completely normal, and to be careful not to click the right button.

So, does he learn? Probably not. Where we stand right now, is he'll frequentley say to my dad, "I try to use the computer, but I get sick of all the popups and turn it off!" So his expensive, overpriced, HP heap of crap is basically sitting there, getting maybe an hour of usage each week. I think he's basically given up on computers. Yet, I'm sure shortly down the road, he'll want a new one that doesn't have popups :rolleyes: