Anyone else think its kind of cheap that the G5 keyboards have a USB 1.1 hub?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ZildjianKX, Sep 1, 2003.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was reading the specs on Apple's site, and this really struck me... so they're just using old stock keyboard parts (if they are new pro keyboards)... would it have killed them to use a newer USB hub in them for a $2000-$3000+ computer in all cases?

2. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Umm, what exactly do you need a usb 2.0 for in a keyboard?
    Keyboards can work fine on "serial" speed. There is absolutely no need to have anything faster than usb 1.1.
    And High speed devices plug into a computer block...

3. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Some people use the keyboard as a hub for digital devices like digital cameras, would be ideal for downloading pics? I don't know just a thought..

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well alot of the times, the keyboard couldnt handle the 1.1 speeds, it would ask you to put it into the computer. plus with the new location of the usb ports its easier to hide cables, but harder to add every now and then things like cameras. but it wont really matter because apple ahs let the bluetooth keyboard and mouse out of the bag, so i think once apple comes out with that people will be buying those real fast.

iJon

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Umm. you do have firewire and usb 2.0 infront of G5 for these purposes...

6. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Nope. The Apple keyboards can handle full speed USB 1.1. They just can't supply the power required for some devices (e.g. bus-powered hard drives).

7. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

From a conceptual point of view, a keyboaud is not intended to be a hub. An extra port or two is a conveniene for connecting a mouse, a tablet, or other similar input device. It does not make sence to expect a keyboard to be used for connecting devices that require extra power or speed. It's like eating soup with a fork, you can do it but something else will work better.

8. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Yes-

It is cheap that they are packagaing the G5's with these keyboards. Cheaper still that they have USB 1.1 ports, which will of course be replaced in the next keyboard revision. Those of you asking why the keyboard should support 2.0, obviously aren't using the current 1.1 ports on any regular basis, so your not going to understand why the krybaord needs 2.0 ports, which Apple knows it does, and will eventually incorporate.

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

As someone else has pointed out, that's what the front firewire and USB 2 ports are for. If you're talking for other machines, yes, but the G5 is well-equipped.

irmongoose

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

for now, just to save all the cost it can (because developing a keyboard with usb 2.0 will take some - not a lot, probably very small but nonetheless - time and money) but i see no reason not to put usb 2.0 on the keyboard.

it's not a matter of needs. it's not a matter of having a (perhaps more logical) alternative. it's the case of "why would you want that?" it's kind of backwards. if usb 2.0 were on there, people would use them, so why not put it there?

yes, g5 does have FW and USB ports in the front... and is "well-equipped," certainly better than the old g4's. however, if the keyboard had usb 2.0, it would be even better equipped.

the usb keydrives are getting more and more popular... and i use the keyboard usb port on the work g4 PM. it sure would be nice to have a usb 2.0 port there as usb 2.0 keydrives become more and more popular...

i'm not saying g5 is inadequate. apple definitely made the right call in putting those ports in the front. but in time, i'd expect them to upgrade the keyboard and put usb 2.0 there...

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

On no...

Another person complaining because Apple didn't build a new keyboard and mouse for the "professional machine."

So what...

They gave you the same keyboard and mouse that previewed with the eMac.

If you don't like the keyboard and/or mouse, go out and buy one. :rolleyes:

Apple isn't there to solve all your problems... or create them.

For that you need GatesWare. ;)

12. Anders Agerskov macrumors newbie

I think iJon got it right. With bluetooth keyboards and mice around the corner, investing in putting USB 2.0 - or FW for that matter - on outdated keyboards does not make sense. But moving the USB 2.0 or FW hub to new displays would make sense - displays perhaps with space for the iSight, which needs the firewire connection anyway.

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

fw port away from the computer would be a little more expensive compared to usb... a remote fw port would not be controlled by the host computer, i believe, so a small chip would have to be put in place on any external fw device...

i think this is the reason there's no fw keydrive..?

14. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Actually, I thought when the keyboard had a right and left port it was so that the user could use the mouse in either hand.
    Dont you have a joystick? or a powermate?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is why some of us prefer to stay away from rev.1 products. The BT mouse and keyboard obviously weren't ready yet when the G5 went out the door. Would you be happier if Apple had said, "oh no, I'm sorry, the G5 will be delayed for several more months because the new keyboard and mouse aren't ready yet." Yeah people would love that!:rolleyes:

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the keyboard ports are ONLY for input devices (like tablets, mice, joysticks, remotes, etc), and none of these things need USB 2.0. So adding a second USB2 bus, along with redesigning the keyboard, would add cost to the machine... pointlessly. Really, with firewire 800, there's absolutely no need for USB2 support at all...

pnw

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

personally i like the new keyboards. a nicer touch and i like the elevation. i like them more than the pro keyboard. but what i dont like is how apple is choosing white, it just gets 2 dirty. thats why i always use a black pro keyboard, hopefully apple's new keyboards for bluetooth with be aluminum or black or something, if its white count me out.

iJon

18. jtown macrumors 6502

Why should the keyboard ports only be for low-speed devices? Several people argue that "the ports are already on the front of the comptuer so they don't need to be on the keyboard". I don't know how you folks have your office machines set up but my office PC is under my desk. My home PCs are tucked away behind my desk. Hardly convenient for plugging in devices regardless of whether the port is on the front or back of the machine. I've got my firewire devices daisy-chained and a USB hub on my desk. Never get near the PCs. I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought a brand-spanking-new computer with all these high speed ports only to find that the keyboard's built-in USB hub is crippled.

As for cost, Apple already charges an obscene amount of money for their high-end equipment. This is their l33t product line. They shouldn't be cutting corners. Period. That'd be like Toyota putting $19.95 tires on their Lexus line.

As for firewire800 vs. USB2, the G5 already has both so arguing about whether USB2 is necessary is pointless. It's already there.

19. mmathis macrumors newbie

If you're unable to get near your pc, how do you use the optical drives? Using this logic, people may be close to saying Apple should have slot-loading optical drives in the keyboard too. ;-)

20. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

The thing is, a USB 1.1 keyboard is going to take up a USB port, so I'm down 1 USB 2.0 port from the start.

Its also really convenient to plug thing into, such as a USB 2.0 digital camera... but I believe it was originally designed for left and right handed people to have a choice.

As for mice and keyboard selection goes, I need a two button mouse with a scroll wheel and an ergonomically correct keyboard anyways, so what they ship with the machine is just staying in the box anyways.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

come on now, you know what he meant. it sucks having to reach behind your computer and plug stuff in, especially when its far away.

iJon

22. jtown macrumors 6502

I notice you stopped quoting before you got the the part about firewire devices. :rolleyes: My optical drive sits on a shelf about 8" above my physical desktop.

23. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i don't care about usb2 on a keyboard, what i care about is more then 2 usb, and firewire ports, and possibly a second fw800 port too, maybe 4 usb2, 4 fw400, and 2 fw800 would be better. right now, between a keyboard, printer, digital camera and ipod, all your ports are gone.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh yeah i know, i hate that too. firewire ports is what gets me. only 2..... my pc i built has 6, and thats just what came with it. but with the g5 i no longer have that problem. most people say, doesnt matter if it only has 2 firewire ports, you can daisy chain firewire. well not if i have an isight and an ipod. but know with the g5 i can have those in the back and then my small portable hard drive can be plugged in the front.

iJon

25. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Do this; leave the cable plugged into the machine and nicely concealed in a easy to reach spot. This is what I do with my usb cable at work for my digital camera. Works fine. Easy access to plugging in camera, and tower stays under desk where I need it to be.