Anyone Else think Opera Browser is a PITA?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GimmeSlack12, Oct 8, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I really like the browser.
    It is fast.
    Memory efficient.
    Customizable.
    Stays out of your way.
    Overall Stable.

But when it comes to downloads and some Flash media it really falls on its face. It is so annoying how it doesn't just download to your Download folder and open the download. It really sucks that it doesn't do this very well because I just can't stand it anymore and I'm back with Safari again. I tend to have one of these "This browser is good but sucks at one very key thing" type of threads every few months. This time around Opera is the focus of my moaning.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Opera has its uses, but I still prefer Firefox and hopefully soon Shiira 2.0.

3. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

4. oober_freak macrumors regular

On Windows, Opera is probably the best browser.

On OS X, it is probably the worst browser. I think they really need to work on the OS X version, especially since Opera doesn't have too much market share. For example, check the thread in the OS X forum on Opera Community Forums. That thread is running for almost an year. I'll not be surprised if the devs haven't seen it yet.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I personally can't stand Opera, right down to the mobile version. It's just a PITA :D Why am I hungry now? :\

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I must be a total 'newbie' because I use Safari.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Naw, naw. Everyone has their preferences. I like FF, but many people hate it. I like Safari too, but I hate Opera and don't really much like Camino. Everyone is different. You're a n00b if you can't get anything done on your browser of choice and ask endless inane questions you should've been able to handle for yourself! ;)

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You want good examples of n00b questions? Go to the iPod forum :D

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The mobile version is good compared to the other browser my phone has. I generally don't use Opera on the computer, though, unless I'm having trouble with a certain web site. I don't see the browser as being a pain, it's just very different.

10. Macalot89 macrumors newbie

I've thoroughly enjoyed using Opera 8.5.4, but have been afraid to upgrade to 9x because there seem to be a lot of problems with it. My first Opera problem began this week. The Scorch plug-in no longer works for viewing music scores at Sibelius.com. Anyone else using Scorch with Opera?

11. Macalot89 macrumors newbie

The Scorch/Sibelius folks confirmed some months ago that they no longer fully support Opera and encourage Mac users to use Safari. Hope this helps someone.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

opera is decent product, altho its mobile version always crash my palm.
    There are some websites u have to use opera, fx and safari just can't handle it.

13. d-fi macrumors member

Opera is a good browser but i found i had to customise the standard layout before i really enjoyed using it. Customising requires a bit of time digging on the Opera website to figure out how the options work but well worth it when it was done.

Opera has a LOT of advanced options it your willing to dig a bit deeper, you can make the browser fit you rather then the other way around :)

14. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Configuring Opera takes some time, but when you have it finally configured its hard to use other browsers. My Opera does exaxtly what i need it and want it to do, and its insanely dificult to get acustomed to other browsers that just lack the same functionality.

15. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

Logged in to say exactly this!

On my work (windows) pc, I use it exclusively, but on OS X it looks out of place (I even skin it in windows) has crappy shortcuts and doesn't seem as snazzy as it's windows version.

I long for the perfect osx browser, and haven't found one I'm 100% happy with yet!