Anyone else think the E3 trailer for Halo looks better than the real game was?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZildjianKX, Dec 20, 2003.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003

For old times sake, I downloaded the 159 meg trailer from back in 2000 to see how different the game looked and how it really turned out. In retrospect, I'm really dissapointed, the trailer looks kick ass, and the final game pales in comparison. 80% of the actual game was in boring corridors, and the lush coolness of the outside world is greatly neglected... I personally didn't see any animals in the final version.

Anyways, anyone else have any opinions?
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i never thought halo was that great to begin with, overrated if you ask me.

3. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

May 26, 2003
    Chicago area
    I just played the demo on my peecee (my PB and eMac don't seem to meet specs). It was okay. I'm not sure I would buy it even if I had a G5 to run it.

Maybe I have to go multiplayer to get the full impact. But the single player game was just okay.
  4. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    Halo was well designed, visually, but it was the gameplay that made it a hit. I've heard that the XBox can't handle the original specs for graphics, but that might just be speculation.

5. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Multiplayer mode for Halo is what it a hit.
    Because I have played the Xbox ver for over a yr now and have never really played the solo ver.
  6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    I've been playing it for a cople of hours and it looks cool but its not much of a story. I remember them telling us how good Oni was and that looked good but.... I'm also playing AvP2 and although I will need more RAM to play it properly, it is a much better game.
    The anticipation was the best bit about Halo.
  7. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
    Halo has a poorly written, non-sensical plot. It's at least as stupid as Quake II.

The textures are low resolution, even at the highest settings. I played this on a extreme PC and the experience was 'OK.'

The shaders are designed to distract you from how crappy textures look, I swear. Look at the Commander's face when you reach the bridge on the first level.

The singleplayer game was completed on one Saturday.

The saving grace is multiplayer.

As far as the E3 trailer goes, I think the final product on the PC looks about the same.

I have never really liked Bungie too much. Oni was pretty bad and I never touched Marathon.

This is not to say that Halo is bad, it's just a decent looking FPS title with smart AI and a pretty standard scifi story. Multiplayer is what raises it above others.
  8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    I've always been skeptical of trailers previewing an impending game. Doom 3 looks fantastic but again, seeing is believing.