Anyone else think there won't be a 12 in powerbook replacment?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sk1985, May 16, 2006.

1. sk1985 macrumors regular

Heres some clues...
    The 12 inch PB was taken off the market with the iBook (rather than launching a replacement model).

And lastly if you check out he macbook web page (http://www.apple.com/macbook/) you'll see that it say's that the family is now completed.

Kind of lame I say. There really should be a high powered compact pro-series laptop. Thats a market apple shouldn't forget.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There is not even a question about it. Apple has admitted as much:

Apple - Hot News

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

It's a market PC manu's are starting to address again.... it's a shame because the MacBook's appear to be ~2-inches longer than the 12-inch iBook.

All the Intel laptops appear to be running 'hot' - perhaps they can't get them any smaller :rolleyes:

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

According to the Apple website...

Meet the Family. Now Complete. Referring to the macbook and pros.

sorry folks, no soup for you.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

i think the $1499 and $1299 are powerful enough and small enough for pro users. Don't complain.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Why not complain? I feel like people have every right to express their opinion. And w/out being a professional myself, I don't feel qualified in stating that somebody won't need a more powerful or smaller laptop.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Don't you mean no soup for you? ;)

8. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

peerrrhaps. or maybe not at all ;)

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Yes, but these are way better than the 12" PBs that were discontinued today. The only downside to the MacBook is that it has integrated but I think that the computer would over heat with its on graphics card and the Core Duo.l

10. sahnert macrumors 6502

the black macbook is the 12" powerbook replacement. The 12" PB was never really in line with the 15 and 17 feature-wise. The only things that really separate the lines now are the macbook's integrated graphics and lack of a backlit keyboard. Dedicated GPU would have a hard time fitting in the small form factor methinks and backlit keyboard alone doesn't warrant a separate model.

11. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Seems like you're right! :(
    Oh well, then I'll go for the 15" MacBook Pro. But I'll wait until it gets Dual Layer DVD and FW800.

12. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually no. Some people like students, teachers, photographers on the move, and people that might actually want to play a PC game on their laptop might want something with a more GPU power (I'm not saying you can't do all of that with a MBP, but having a better GPU makes those tasks run much more smoothly). Seriously integrated graphics is kind of limiting in terms of what you can and can't do with your laptop. I know a good deal of pro apps require some sort of GPU other than an integrated solution. Seriously though a small and powerful laptop is what Apple needs. Imagine having something slightly smaller than the MB, having 128 Megs of Ram for the GPU (X1600), and tightly incased in a metal body. That would be my ideal laptop on the go. I personally am the kind of person that likes smaller powerful laptops and I know a good of professionals and students that wouldn't mind having what I described.

13. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Other than the graphics, the specs are very good. And why would a pro who needed their machine for grphics intensive work put up with them small screens? I think the family is complete with no gaps between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The only gap I see is below the MacBook. In the next year or so I see Apple releasing a very small, lightweight subnotebook.

14. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i think if they brought out a 12/13" MBP what exacly would the specs be? i mb with aluminium casing?

if so it would be pretty pointless to me!

15. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

thats why people dream... :p
    I would have liked a dedicated card myself, but i think its a bit steep to ask a 2GHz CD, superdrive, etc. with 128MB X1600 for the price its at right now. If MacOSRumors have their stuff right (which is most unlikely), there will be a plethera of "gaming macs" coming.

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Have you guys all forgotten how bad the video in the 12" PowerBook actually was? The thing had an NVIDIA 5200 it's not like there would be any real difference between the 5200 and the integrated 950 both suck for 3D. To me it looks like the MacBook 13.3" is a great replacement for both the iBook and the PowerBook 12".

17. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Oh yes, even the iBook's Mobility Radeon 9550 was better than the Powerbook's 5200. It was a shame.

But actually the Nvidia 5200 is much better than the GMA 950. Atleast it doesn't eat up part of your RAM and some CPU cycles to do some of the work that a GPU should do, such as T&L.

EDIT: It seems that there won't be a 13" MBP, atleast for now. :(

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I know the 5200 is a better graphics solution but it still isn't a good one, I guess Apple thought G4 with 5200 versus dual core Intel with integrated video who'll notice? I've spoken to people today who purchased the new MacBook and they are saying it can play 720p H.264 with out skipping a frame sounds great to me.

19. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

But it's bigger! The whole point of the 12-inch was ultra-portable. All it needed was a better quality, slightly higher-resolution screen - not an inch added to each side!

20. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

The intergrated chip is better then the 5500 by Nvidia both have 64MB of RAM, however where intel wins is its abilty to steal RAM. The 5500 may be a slighty better dedicated GPU but overall if I didnt have the need for the ATIx1600 I would get the MB because first off the Intel is better then the outdated 5500 and, how is 13 inch not ultra portable, the last time I checked my organic chem and cell bio books are 2x that size and weight.

21. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

When I bought my PowerBook, the main reason for not getting an iBook was the slightly faster bus speed, a built-in line-in port, screen spanning capability and the ability to get a 12" (as opposed to 14") model with a SuperDrive. All of these features are now present in the MacBook, so yes, I do see it as a PowerBook replacement.

Compared to the 15" and 17" PowerBooks, the 12" PB lacked a PCMCIA slot, had a less capable graphics card, no backlit keyboard, no FireWire 800, no Gigabit Ethernet and a lower maximum CPU speed. These are the same features that differentiate the MacBook from the MacBook Pro now (with the exception of Gigabit Ethernet).

If anything, I think the MacBook is the 12" PowerBook replacement, and I wonder why there's no iBook (as in low-end) replacement.

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm hoping what this means is that Apple will come out with a real ultraportable in the next 6 months or so. I'm talking about something designed to be the companion to a desktop, without even a CD drive. To install software, you'd plug it into your desktop and use that drive. Or you could get an optional external drive.

Maybe a 12-inch screen, but about 3/4 inch thick, weighing under 3 pounds.

23. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Beacuse there doesnt need to be with the pirce of core duos so cheap there is no reason to price these laptops cheaper then they are already priced.

24. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Also if anyone remembers steve reffered to the ipod as ultra portable not the Ibook or 12 inch powerbook lets get the facts stragiht here... And listen to steve because id say 9/10 people crave every word out of his mouth.

25. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

This is true most traditional pros don't need a small screen. But as I've said a good deal of students, teachers, photographers on the go, and those that want a small laptop that can play games wouldn't mind having a more powerful computer then the MB (In terms of power I'm taking about a high end GPU). I really do see a market for that kind of laptop. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the 12 inch PB one of the better selling PB models? Some people simply don't want integrated graphics in their laptops and really do have a need for a powerful GPU.