Anyone else tired of this computer "war" ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by couch potato, Aug 15, 2003.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

I just read that post about the forum that was bashing macs. The things those PC users say, its just annoying. This "war" is really stupid- macs vs PC's. Not ever PC or mac user fights it. but, there are so many PC users out there just bash macs without reason. Like the guy on that PC forum:( There are three kinds of PC users i have met over the past year: The ones who only try to expose the truth, and the ones who ignorantly bash macs, and the ones who use noth macs and PCs.

I meet PC users on gameranger. They use macs and PCs. PCs for gaming, macs for work or everything but gaming. They don't come on and start bashing macs, but they don't start bashing PC's either. Good people:)

Then there is the ignorant PC user. Bashes macs. Saying macs will never be as fast as PC's. As soon as Apple comes out with a great new product, they quickly start attacking it for one reason or another. They think mac users are morons. I have a PC user friend (he used to use macs) who plays mohaa with me. One day, when we were looking for a server, he say a MacAddict server, and told me that everyone who played on that server is a noob because they use macs. That pissed me off.

Then there is the person who isn't biased at all. They may use a PC, but they don't hate macs. They give the strengths and weaknesses of each computer. "macs are great, but i can't afford one." or "i dont hates macs, but i wouldn't have much of a use for one. they are great computers though"

Mac users (keep in mind, im not saying every PC or Mac user is like this, just some people :\) used to say that macs were faster, but they weren't. at least for a while. but they always used games to compare macs and PC's. my friend says PC's are better because games run better on them :(

The day the G5 came out, the same friend called me up and told me the G5 is really slower. He found some independent benchmarks of the G5 vs a PC, and the PC won. i told him G5 doesn't ship yet, and he never talked about it again:rolleyes:

so why is this stupid "war" still going on.

sorry, i just needed to get those thoughts out:(

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think it's kinda fun.
    Just like talking politics (NOT HERE!!!), or why you like a particular brand of beer, or cars or whatever.
    A clash of preferences results in battle.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well, I used to not even want anything to do with a Mac...until I used one. Now, I love them and can't imagine not having a Mac. A lot of it is just that most people are only exposed to PCs and don't ever have a chance to use one. Before these Apple Stores started popping out, I had never seen a Mac until sometime around the first half of 1999 when I saw a Wallstreet at CompUSA while looking for a computer to replace my constantly breaking down Compaq laptop. The section just kind of fades into the Mac section and I saw the Wallstreet sitting there and didn't realize it was a Mac until I realized the OS was really different and kind of cool. A month later I went to Apple.com and noticed the new Lombard just came out and bought it right away and have been a happy Mac user ever since. Over the years, all my friends who have been the anti-Mac kind of people have slowly switched, too, or just mention how cool this Mac is or the latest cool thing Apple just came out with. I almost switched my parents, too, but when it came down to it, they couldn't justify paying $1500 for an iMac when they got a Dell configured with a 2.8 GHz P4 and 512 megs RAM with a DVD burner and CD burner for $950. They were so close, too...but maybe next time in a few years they'll replace the Dell with an Apple. My parents both fell in love with the iMac when I drug them into the Apple Store so I could talk to one of the girls who works there (I sold here a winning scratch off ticket so she hooks me up with great deals).

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

people just like to simplify things. If this is good, then that must be bad. Black and white. I am right, you are wrong...etc. And people also often fail to see the similarities...denounce something on 'the other side' which is not better on their own.

It goes both ways. Remember that a lot of mac users hate PC's...no matter what. I just bought a PC for 3D work because it beats the mac for speed and choice of software. I would chose a PC over a mac for gaming, too, but then I have a PS2 which works fine for me ;)

I much prefer OSX over windows and Apple's industrial design is gorgeous, so I'll probably buy a new powerbook when they come out...yes, I can have both.

If you are objective (and a resident of the real world), you cannot say this computer/os is better than that one. It all depends on your use. And standardization in itself is not a bad thing, even if the standard is not the best. At least you can comunicate/work with more people.
    But people like to fight holy wars...

So be more secure and happy with your choices and let people talk.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I believe it is our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe this night holds for each and every one of use, the very meaning of our lives. This is a war and we are soldiers. What if tomorrow the war could be over, isnt that worth fighting for, isnt that worth dying for....Anyways its fun if you know what your talking about and the G5 makes the argument easier.

iJon

6. Independence macrumors regular

it's not a PC forum. it's a forum for games made by Blizzard. i'm sure Mac users roam that forum too since some of Blizzard's games are available for Windows and Mac OS.

just thought i'd clear that up.

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

The fact of the matter is is that Apple fans put out just as much bad blood for pc users as they do in return. I see plenty of pc bashing over here, from ironic blanket statements to everything crashes to every case is ugly.

Don't practice what you don't preach guys.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-I think my head just exploded.

9. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I agree. While I'm not fond of PC's they have their advantages, chip speed being a big plus. But since Apple is in charge of the whole picture, their products are less likely, on average, to have hardware/software clashes.

10. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

lol :eek:

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, it's tiring but it's not going away any time soon.

There was the sixer and eighter debate (6502/6800 vs. 8080/Z80). Then, the Commodore vs. Apple vs. Atari debate. Then, the CP/M vs. MS-DOS debate, the Commodore Amiga vs. Atari ST vs. Apple Macintosh debate.

People like to show that they made the best decision, even when they didn't. ;)

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

damn, i hope peple know what thats from. i wanted it be funny not confusing.

iJon

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What tazo said. I dislike Mac zealots as much as I dislike PC zealots (or any other kinda of zealot for that matter).

Lethal

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Well said. The bottom line is that both platforms have their good and bad points, and the day we can all accept that, is the same day that HP doesnt cause you to stab yourself in the eye.

-tazo

15. Cubeboy macrumors regular

In my opinion, there are two main reasons that people (including myself) constantly (and rather pointlessly) "war" over the "superiority" of macs over PCs (and vice versa).

1) People get emotionally attached with their purchasing decisions, they don't want to look *bad* for making the *wrong* decision. Thus they will put forth all their effort into trying to prove that the purchase they made was a *good* purchase (and thus the *right* decision on their part).

2) People have their notions and beliefs, and they tend to defend those beliefs vigorously. We've all seen how "heated" political debates can get, I think we can apply the same principle here.

The first reason seems to be inherent in all of us although to varying degrees, the second is very common but not absolute. It seems that most of the time, both these reasons go hand in hand.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well said. We have another level headed post, something's terribly wrong here (besides my spelling). ;)

Lethal

17. couch potato thread starter macrumors regular

did i say mac users don't bash? nooo:eek:
    we just return fire, not start it. hey, like i said, i cant/am not speaking for everyone.:rolleyes:

but alas, i would say its fairly obvious what goes on:(

i believe that both sides are at fault, tho:eek:

i just figured that the bashing would decrease, of macs that is, because macs are seriously getting better. not just the "mhz doesn't matter" routine, but actually improving. hardware and software. i bash windows all the time, to my shame:eek:

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well it is sad if people do not know what that quote is from.

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-iJon

I know what that's from, and seeing it applied here is what caused the cranial overpressure.

Still cleaning up - oh, and crawling into a bottle of scotch.

-Tazo

"The bottom line is that both platforms have their good and bad points, and the day we can all accept that, is the same day that HP doesnt cause you to stab yourself in the eye."
    I think you've found your next .sig.

20. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Macs and PCs each have their advantages. Macs have a nicer, stabler OS than Windows. Windows has software compatibility, and better gaming. PCs held the speed advantage for awhile, were cheaper, and supported more OSes.

And if the reason Windows is so unstable is because it has to be programmed for so many hardware configurations, why is Linux, which in general runs on PCs and Macs, so much more stable?

PCs and Macs have their places, I just prefer Macs.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Comparing an OS like Linux to an OS aimed at end users (Windows or Mac OS) is flawed, IMO, because they are different beasts. Also, I'm pretty sure that Linux has a much more limited selection of hardware and software that will work w/it right out of the box. I know that Linux support from manufacturers is growing but it's still a common thing to need "homemade" drivers and/or software to get hardware working that would normally be plug and play in a Mac or Windows machine.

Lethal

22. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

lol obrien, maybe :D

And to the individual who said we don't start wars, what company came up with the switcher commercials?

;)

23. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Now come on, a little zealotry never hurt anybo...

nevermind.

24. CooCooCaChoo macrumors newbie

That isn't necessarily true. A large number of Linux users are also programmers, meaning, if one were to find a quirk with their hardware, they can easily access the source code for it, write a patch to work around that particular quirk, submit it back to the "collective" and voila, the next patch release will include a patch to stop issues from arising when using that particular hardware combination.

Linux is alot more fault tolerant in that there is a larger programmer to user ratio, meaning, when issues do arrise concerning hardware quirks, these issues can be instantly coded around and thus, even on semi-sh*thouse hardware, one stil still expect a reasonable level of reliability.

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

A little bias is all right, I believe, afterall, if you like one particular platform, you have your reasons for it. The thing I believe you need to be careful of, though, is personal attacks of other people for the platform they choose. I know it's difficult when they repeatedly attack you for being a Mac user and not just the Mac itself, but sometimes you just have to be the better person. Besides, they usually need your help to fix their Windows problems, anyway. :)