Anyone else trying to post here less often?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I am. I've got to tell you, trying not to post at MR is like fighting an addiction. I'm not trying to stop. I'm only aiming to "cut down."

I find that posting here is a vicious cycle: If I read a thread and reply, I always want to find out what people say after my post. If I come back to MR after a few hours, I remember every thread I posted in the last time I was here, so I definitely check those threads the next time I come here. In fact, while I'm doing other things and living my day (eg: shopping, reading a scientific journal, taking a dump, both), sometimes I wonder whether people have posted after my reply in a particular interesting thread, and I'll be dying to find out what was said!!

After checking these threads for responses and replying if necessary, I'll check out some 2 or 3 new threads, and reply if I want. If I reply, I'll check the thread later, so now I have accumulated MORE threads to check the next time I come here!! :mad: The number of threads I need to check only drops when threads die, and if no new threads seem interesting.

Right now, I haven't been involved in many threads, so when I come here, I don't have many threads to check. That's how I'm cutting back....by only being involved in a very limited number of conversations. I'm not involved in any Photography threads, no Buying Advice threads, etc. I check a few threads in Community, and that's all. I find that this is the only way I can do it. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that by starting this thread, I now have a thread that I wlll come to MR specifically to read. I'll even be thinking about it while I study. :( :apple:

2. Queso macrumors G4

Thanks. You've reminded me that I really should have more willpower and there's things to be done :)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

See? Here I am again.....5 minutes later. :eek:

Rather pathetic.

@BV: So you only check for threads in which Lau has posted?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No. I substitute my name instead, which is what the thread was about; searching for replies to your posts rather than using the subscribe feature.

Makes it much easier to track stuff you've been involved with... and to overlook stuff that's not that relevant. Have stopped using Forum Spy as well.

Also I've got to be honest. Some stuff going on around here was just getting a bit too intense and I found myself thinking far too often about people and events that were not immediately connected to me. In short, this place and some of its personalities were getting under my skin and putting me into a stressed state where I felt powerless to do anything about it.

Preferring to deal with things in the real world at the moment where you can more accurately judge what people are saying and also gauge people's actions rather than words.

6. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Forum Spy makes my post rate higher. :eek:

You're right, I avoid using it as well. It's too easy to find a thread with an interesting name to post in.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

So, let me get this straight - You want to post less often, so you create a whole thread about it, so you can post more about not posting? :confused:

;) :p

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

But I understand. I am trying to taper off a bit -- but not doing very good at it! :eek: ;)

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my mates keep on telling me i am a macrumors and deviantart whore, and i only have 2.36 posts per day here :p

i find myself wishing for monday to come so i can check up on my subscribed threads...

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

LOL!!!

This thread is the very reason why you're on my top 5 list of most favorite MR members Abstract. And by the way, in order for someone to make the cut, they have to meet the most stringent criteria. :D

11. Queso macrumors G4

Abstract's one of the final five? :eek:

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've been able to cut down on my posting since I started wearing the patch.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i hear they have gum now as well

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I am trying to post here less often too. I get caught in the same vicious cycle as you do... the more I post, the more I have to check back here.

It helps that I've been really busy lately.

I don't know how iGary just quit cold turkey.

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I seem to be posting a bit less lately without even trying, which I didn't think was possible. I've been working full time over the holidays so I haven't really had as much time to hang around here.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There's a patch! :eek: ;)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I post much less than I use to...I'm getting loaded with work and several projects but I try to pop in every now and again to close down threads.

Bless

18. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There is only one possible explanation for this: He must have lost his internet connection.

Well that, or he just has more willpower than us weaklings.

Clearly this is not true.

Out of the regular posters here, you went alphabetically, right? Tell us this is true so that we can make sense of your list.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

No, it's true. I really love you man, but not in a homo way. :p ;)

20. Motley macrumors 6502

I can stop anytime I want.

WHEN ARE NEW MACBOOKS COMING OUT!?!

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've been on break from school and so I have been posting a lot more than I should... but since classes start on Monday, I know that my post count will drop back down. So no, I'm not 'trying to post' less often. What's the point in trying to stop? It's futile. :p

22. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I agree - it's a vicious, vicious cycle.

But you have to admit, it takes a particular type of personality to become obsessively addicted to MR.....

:rolleyes: :p

23. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This forum is rather like a magnet. I have thought on several occasions, "I am not coming back here". Yet, the next day I am back, posting again.

I do not mean this as criticism, but this forum is dominated by a group of folk who have been together for a long time. I notice you prefer to talk among yourselves. New people are politely ignored. I figure it is just an evolutionary process.

I frequent two other forums. One is specific to amateur wrestling. I have been on that forum for 12 years. The other is for VB programming and database development, again very specific. I post there to share my many years of experience, and it helps me keep my mind sharp. Both of these forums are specific enough that WHO is posting is less important than what the subject is.

24. Queso macrumors G4

I really don't see that. I joined last March and lurked for a couple of months before starting to post in earnest, yet was welcomed in immediately when I did. There are other members, even more of a n00b than me, who seem to have been here forever. Rather than a set group, there is a changing core membership, people who seem to be around a lot for a while then disappear again.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The only way I can think of for me to "post less" would be to omit the trailing periods on my sentences