Anyone else upgraded the RAM in their iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sparkyms, Mar 16, 2007.

1. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2007
    Southampton UK
    I just did, and at first it didn't work, but turns out I was just being far to delicate! You need to be a bit rough with it it seems.

But I'm now running a lovely 24inch iMac 2.16GHZ with 2GB RAM. Lovely job!
  2. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2006
    I did the same thing; couldn't get it to start up because I was being too gentle. You really have to force it in there, which I never would have expected. Oh well.
  3. sparkyms thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2007
    Southampton UK
    At first I thought I'd broken it, cause all I got was the flashing light on the front when I powered up.
    I was really surprised with the amount of force you had to give it.
  4. andrewheard macrumors regular

May 16, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Here I thought I was the only one who had that problem. It really gave me a scare. They should tell you in the instructions that if your thumbs don't hurt then you aren't pushing hard enough.
  5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2006
    Forcing a ram chip into an iMac logic board: nothing like leaning your body weight into an expensive piece of electronics waiting to hear a "good" click as opposed to a "bad" click! :eek:
  6. sparkyms thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2007
    Southampton UK
    When it does happen though, you realise its a good click.

But the manual makes it seem like its SO easy.
    I'll admit putting the sticks that came OUT of my iMac into my dad's macbook was a helluva lot easier than putting sticks into the iMac.
  7. MetalFace macrumors member

Mar 10, 2007
    i didnt find it to hard altho im used to building pcs and stuff so am used to giving those fragile ram sticks a good push :cool:

but i do admit they feel like they are going so snap in half when u are pushing them in on any machine
  8. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    I upgraded mine, I didn't find it as hard as you guys are making it sound though. I just remember a nice push then a *click*
  9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    I found it pretty easy, you pull the lever up and drop the chip in then click.

at first I wasn't pulling the lever far enough out.
  10. BilltheCat macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2007
    Sanford FL
    are the different Ram choices from the many companies about the same as far as quality?

I have 2 512's in my stock iMac for 1gig. I would like to go to 2 1gigs. or add 1 gig to make it 1.5

thoughts? favorite vendor for this?