Anyone else upgraded the RAM in their iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sparkyms, Mar 16, 2007.

1. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I just did, and at first it didn't work, but turns out I was just being far to delicate! You need to be a bit rough with it it seems.

But I'm now running a lovely 24inch iMac 2.16GHZ with 2GB RAM. Lovely job!

2. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I did the same thing; couldn't get it to start up because I was being too gentle. You really have to force it in there, which I never would have expected. Oh well.

3. sparkyms thread starter macrumors 65816

At first I thought I'd broken it, cause all I got was the flashing light on the front when I powered up.
    I was really surprised with the amount of force you had to give it.

4. andrewheard macrumors regular

Here I thought I was the only one who had that problem. It really gave me a scare. They should tell you in the instructions that if your thumbs don't hurt then you aren't pushing hard enough.

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Forcing a ram chip into an iMac logic board: nothing like leaning your body weight into an expensive piece of electronics waiting to hear a "good" click as opposed to a "bad" click! :eek:

6. sparkyms thread starter macrumors 65816

When it does happen though, you realise its a good click.

But the manual makes it seem like its SO easy.
    I'll admit putting the sticks that came OUT of my iMac into my dad's macbook was a helluva lot easier than putting sticks into the iMac.

7. MetalFace macrumors member

MetalFace

i didnt find it to hard altho im used to building pcs and stuff so am used to giving those fragile ram sticks a good push :cool:

but i do admit they feel like they are going so snap in half when u are pushing them in on any machine

8. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I upgraded mine, I didn't find it as hard as you guys are making it sound though. I just remember a nice push then a *click*

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I found it pretty easy, you pull the lever up and drop the chip in then click.

edit:

at first I wasn't pulling the lever far enough out.

10. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

are the different Ram choices from the many companies about the same as far as quality?

I have 2 512's in my stock iMac for 1gig. I would like to go to 2 1gigs. or add 1 gig to make it 1.5

thoughts? favorite vendor for this?

Thanks