Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I don't own anything Android but I do a lot of SIM swapping from my stock iPhone 4 to my jailbroken 3Gs. I love BiteSMS, SBSettings, Winterboard and the emulators. Sometimes I just need to go back. :D

Thinking about picking up a used Android device soon though; I do a lot of buying and selling of cell phones and I'm sure I could even make money if I decided not to keep it. Any recommendations for a good GSM Android phone that isn't super new?

Why not jailbreak your iphone 4?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Although I have an iPhone 4, I purchased a Droid Incredible to play around with until iOS 5 is released. The Incredible isn't going to replace my iPhone at all. It's just another toy for me to play around with. Plus, it's a decent back-up in case something happens to my iPhone.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Although I have an iPhone 4, I purchased a Droid Incredible to play around with until iOS 5 is released. The Incredible isn't going to replace my iPhone at all. It's just another toy for me to play around with. Plus, it's a decent back-up in case something happens to my iPhone.

is it easy to switch the activation between the devices or have you not tried?

Verizon told be it should work fine but it would "void" the warranty with them by deactivating my iphone. I told them i'd just go to Apple anyways, since Verizon is about as helpful as a ziplock baggie in space.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
is it easy to switch the activation between the devices or have you not tried?

Verizon told be it should work fine but it would "void" the warranty with them by deactivating my iphone. I told them i'd just go to Apple anyways, since Verizon is about as helpful as a ziplock baggie in space.

I actually have not tried yet since the Incredible is in the process of being shipped out. I was spoiled with AT&T when I could simply just swap out SIM cards. Apparently you can switch devices via your online account with VZW. I would never take my iPhone to Verizon anyway if it were under warranty. Apple is the only place I would take it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
While I'm certain I'm in the vast minority here, I'm actually using both and iPhone 4 and a Samsung Focus (WP7). I've played around a bunch with Android devices and nearly got a Nexus S but just personally not a fan of Android. I wanted to give WP7 a go and was able to pick up a barely used Focus on the cheap. Windows Phone 7 is refreshingly different--like the Facebook integration and Live tiles but it is still, IMO, not yet ready for prime time (though Mango looks like a huge step forward). My iPhone 4 is still my main phone (use Focus when I'm going anywhere a phone is more likely to get damaged, i.e. the beach) and I'll never move completely to WP7 but am curious to see how it changes/grows over the next year.
I plan to get the Focus next because I loved that S-AMOLED screen as well as the slim design. I see some refurbished ones being sold for $150 online with no contract.

I just got a brand new Palm Pixi Plus (AT&T) for $60 and really like webOS even though the phone is underpowered and lags. It really does make a great backup to my iPhone 4. Small and compact. I never had a QWERTY phone before. It eliminated my urge to get a BlackBerry Bold and Pre. For a brand new Pixi Plus that just came in June of last year for $60 is hard to beat.

A little bit of me is craving to get at least three more phones within the next 15 months. A WP7 phone like the Focus which I can get this year for cheap, an Android like the Xperia Play (to play emus), and a BlackBerry QNX phone by next year since the PlayBook really does have a nice OS.

So my starting lineup would by 2012 will be -
iPhone 4 (iOS)
Pixi Plus (webOS)
Focus (WP7)
Xperia Play (Android)
BlackBerry (QNX)

No thanks to Nokia N9 since MeeGo is DOA.

My iPhone 4 becomes an iPod touch and I will switch between four different phones when the mood is right and since they all have a removable battery cover. I was thinking of getting the HTC HD2 which can run multiple OSes, but I'd rather get the true experience that run the OS natively. I can live with a 1GHz single or dual-core for the next 4-5 years. Stuff like going quad core, 12MP cameras, and 3D screens is just overkill. The main thing I want from any smartphone is decent Wi-Fi browsing. I am not an app whore like I used to, so my attachments to any ecosystem like iTunes/App Store isn't there anymore. Basically these phones are like portable computers in our hands and my most used app is always the browser. So I can switch from smartphone to smartphone week after week and not get care of the OS it has as long as I am connected to the internet and I can listen to my music and take decent pictures. Some people collect baseball cards or jewelry, I would love to collect smartphones. The Swiss Army knife of electronics.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
So my starting lineup would by 2012 will be -
iPhone 4 (iOS)
Pixi Plus (webOS)
Focus (WP7)
Xperia Play (Android)
BlackBerry (QNX)

No thanks to Nokia N9 since MeeGo is DOA.

That'll be an awesome selection! My next pickup will be a webOS device. Been promising myself that I'll try it out for long enough. :cool:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I have contemplated many times getting an Android phone to go along with my iPhone. I just can't justify the extra expense though.

If I were to do it though, I think that I would get the upcoming Droid Bionic on Verizon. That looks like it's going to be an awesome phone.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I am itching to pick up the N9 when it shows up at Canadian soil. Most people call it stupidity but I dont let apps decide the phone choice for me. It's the actual OS and interaction with it's use that interests me the most given all basic communication and entertainment needs are met by all phones. I have tried android too many times to like it and unless ice cream shows much improvement and there is a compelling design I dont see myself pick up an android for a long time.

A nokia searay running wp7 would also be a very tempting choice.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, using both now.

I find Android can be "complimentary" to iOS. Neither have my favorite UI. My fav UI is webOS. Can't wait for BBX phones since QNX pretty much copied the UI of Palm's but polished it up more with better hardware. But I like both iOS and Android. I use their strengths to compliment each other. The thing I like about Android is not just customization, but more choices. I like to sometimes have a phone that nobody really has. With iPhone, it is too uniformed. Like going to Catholic school. Android is like free dress day. More individualism. You can talk about the different models to Android users and can be fascinated by it since there is variety there.

I've owned pretty much most of platforms out there with the exception of WP7. I believe five different smartphones OSes. I just try to get the best from ALL worlds. If you are a cell phone enthusiast like me, you don't have any blind allegiance to any specific brand. They are all essentially like vehicles that essentially do the same thing and get you back on Information Super Highway. My next phones will probably be WP7/8 and BBX phone next year. You can't really judge a phone until you actually own it for awhile.

But right now, I liked what I saw in ICS and just hope it stabilizes Android even more. That is my only real qualms with it. Android seems to be the most unstable, but it has gotten much better since Gingerbread. I could care less about eye candy. I can always customize it to my liking and make it look better for my personal taste.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
As I am thinking of switching to a s2, I am really curious to know what features draw you back to the iphone 4 and vice versa? In other words why do you use both instead of just one?

It is not features that is driving me to change back and forth, it is just plain boredom. I will stick with the 4S for a while but I did get out the SG2 and put it on the charger today:eek:

Gangnam Style

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Yes I go both ways, but with the iPhone 5 and it's nano sim, it may get harder to use another phone as there are no nano sim adapters yet.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I had a 4S and sold it when my work agreed to buy me a Galaxy Nexus because it had 4G. I need the hotspot when I travel and 3G wasn't cutting it (especially when using VPN on the iPad or MBP).

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about 6 months and can't wait to switch back. As the OP said, each has their pros and cons. Jelly Bean is a nice OS IMO. For me, Ive invested too much money into iOS and didn't want to spend more cash for apps Ive already purchased on iOS. I'll be glad when my iphone 5 gets here.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i have S3 and iphone both are good i have the s3 for screen size and i like the bigger size for reading docs. both are good but i have so much apple stuff that i am sucked in.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
i have S3 and iphone both are good i have the s3 for screen size and i like the bigger size for reading docs. both are good but i have so much apple stuff that i am sucked in.

You have described my situation. Also find I have some apps I like better on each platform. One thing I dislike in Android is apps that have ads. They really take up screen space and are very distracting.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I've a launch 4 and have had a Note since November last year. Bought it out of gadget lust, really came into it's own when I bunged Cyanogenmod9 on it.

Still largely prefer iOS. Overall, I find the IN app experience better, more stable and consistent than android. Equally it integrates so well with my mac and iPad. I barely use widgets, they just don't appeal to me and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. For video, browsing and ebook reading the Note is best in class for a phone really, but as a day to day general use phone a tad impractical.

I'm hoping my imminent 5 will stop me constantly sim swapping, but I kind of doubt it, on long trips the Note is awesome and Google Maps is utterly sublime on that screen.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
My Quandary About Switching To Androids

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon for the 4g when I ordered my iPhone5. They screwed up the order and got 16GB rather than 64GB as planned. My fault too for not looking close enough at the salesman's mistake. I've already made up my mind to refuse the phone because it isn't large enough. My current 4 has used 15+GB and I've only had it a year.

I thought about trying one of the new Androids but I'm so use to iTunes, iEverything that I'm worried.

I've read you can sync iTunes with Androids but does it allow you to access your music library? Do I give up the iCloud? Does Android have something similar?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, Gnex and iPhone user here. I'm keeping my Gnex and will use it to play with different roms and switch up devices until the iPhone 5 jailbreak is released.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I just switched from AT&T to Verizon for the 4g when I ordered my iPhone5. They screwed up the order and got 16GB rather than 64GB as planned. My fault too for not looking close enough at the salesman's mistake. I've already made up my mind to refuse the phone because it isn't large enough. My current 4 has used 15+GB and I've only had it a year.

I thought about trying one of the new Androids but I'm so use to iTunes, iEverything that I'm worried.

I've read you can sync iTunes with Androids but does it allow you to access your music library? Do I give up the iCloud? Does Android have something similar?

Google backs up photos, contacts, etc..

Music can be stored with google music (free) and streamed.

Gdwheel

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
I have an iPhone and various android phones. Variety is nice. I bounce back and forth.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I have an iPhone and 2 android phones, including a galaxy s III, which I bought like 2 months ago and have never even taken it out of the box. Was going to after the jelly bean update came for it, but getting the iPhone 5 today, so probably just sell it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yes I go both ways, but with the iPhone 5 and it's nano sim, it may get harder to use another phone as there are no nano sim adapters yet.

My thoughts as well. I've been using a Galaxy Nexus since July (part time until 3 weeks ago when I sold my 4s), had to use a microsim adapter. The phone is decent--more screen real estate but not a fan of plastic, feels a bit flimsy--and jelly bean is also not bad, pretty smooth, just feels less polished than iOS. It just doesn't integrate into my tech ecosystem (admittedly mostly Apple) nearly as well so I'm looking forward to going back to iOS full-time.

Since swapping sims seems to problematic right now, I'm considering just selling the Nexus though I've thought about holding onto it as it'll likely be one of the first devices to get the next Android release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.