Anyone else using an

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sandman42, Aug 13, 2004.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Wondering if anyone else out there is also using this printer, particularly anyone using it wirelessly with an Airport Express or is able to make borderless prints.

First of all, I have never been able to get it to print borderless photos in OS X. I was able to do it in OS 9, so I know it can be done, but when OS X first came out this feature wasn't supported. Eventually they claimed that borderless printing support was added for this printer in general AND for iPhoto (I think when Panther came out, and I'm using Panther 10.3.4), but I have never, for the life of me, been able to get my printer to print borderless photos in OS X. It's really too bad because the borderless prints are pretty nice!

If anyone knows the trick to making this work, I would really appreciate it if you'd let me know! Oh, and I have tried cropping the photos to match the paper size. When I do this, and select 'no margins' in iPhoto, it tells me the print won't fit on the selected paper size.

Also, I just checked Apple's web site for Airport Express compatible USB Printers (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107418), and for this printer in particular it says that Airport Extreme Firmware 5.0.4 is required. I'm using a 'snow' Airport Base Station (not Extreme) and an Airport card (802.11b), and my firmware version is only 4.0.8. Will this really not work wirelessly? That would suck, as I really want to enable wireless printing, but I'm not gonna buy an Airport Express if I won't be able to use that feature. Has anyone else got it to work?

Thanks!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This doesn't make any sense unless *an* is a thing? And then I don't know what it could be....

D

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I went to school with Yoonsik An. Maybe it means "Androgenous Nebbleweffer". How about "Anal Needle". Or perhaps the poster was shot before he could finish the sentence. To be on the safe side, I'd call the cops.

4. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Sorry! I accidentally hit 'enter' before I was even close to completing my post. I've edited it now. My apologies...

(but for some reason I can't seem to edit the thread title? Hmmm. Again, sorry.)

5. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Crap! I can't seem to edit the thread title! Can that be done? It's gonna waste a bunch of people's time and I'm not going to get my answer this way...

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I can. My setup is this: AlBook, G5 Tower, iBook, Airport Extreme, D-Link Router, HP 7350 printer hooked to the D-Link, OSX 10.3.5 on all. Is it your printer? CAN it print borderless? What is the printer?

7. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Wow! Hey, thanks, it's nice to know people are looking out for me, but I'll call the cops and tell them it's a false alarm. The bullet just grazed me, but for some reason it still made me hit the enter key before I was done with my post. (if it had killed me, would I have hit 'enter'? Wouldn't I have typed 'urghhh', or something first?)

Anyway, to answer your other questions: it is my printer, it's an Epson Stylus Photo 820, it can print borderless, and I've seen it with my own eyes using my current computer (iBook), only with OS 9. I've never been able make borderless prints since switching to OS X way back when. For some reason I just got the inclination to revisit this issue and try to make it work again.

My other problem is that there's some doubt that I can print wirelessly to this printer using an Airport Express. For some reason Apple's compatibility web page (cited above) states that for this particular model of Epson printer a particular version of Airport Extreme firmware is required, but they imply that anything goes for other models. My wireless setup is all 802.11b (Airport card and snow ABS), so I'm wondering if I really have to have an AEBS to make wireless printing work.

Thanks!